Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 7, searching for all files containing a text string

Windows 7, searching for all files containing a text string

Gib Bogle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <i1rcae$8j5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>> There must be something screwed up about that Search capability, because
>> it doesn't work any more on my XP machine at work. It used to work. The
>> IT guys don't know what's happened to it.

> Which of the following applies:
>
> [ ] Your IT guys are incompetent
> [ ] Even the most competent IT guys can get stumped by Dimdows

[x] They have more important things to worry about.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <i2jb6p$lvj$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <i1rcae$8j5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:
>>
>>> There must be something screwed up about that Search capability, because
>>> it doesn't work any more on my XP machine at work. It used to work.
>>> The IT guys don't know what's happened to it.

>> Which of the following applies:
>>
>> [ ] Your IT guys are incompetent
>> [ ] Even the most competent IT guys can get stumped by Dimdows
>>

> [x] They have more important things to worry about.

Than doing their jobs?

Matty F

On Jul 17, 11:38 am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> CTRL-F=File Search, same as always, except the search engine is much
> improved.

Control F on the desktop does absolutely nothing.
Searching the Windows Help for Control F gets no useful results.
You realise that this is Windows 7 I am talking about?
(not my machine, and it's some distance away)

Gib Bogle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <i2jb6p$lvj$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Which of the following applies:
>>>
>>> [ ] Your IT guys are incompetent
>>> [ ] Even the most competent IT guys can get stumped by Dimdows
>>>

>> [x] They have more important things to worry about.

> Than doing their jobs?

Don't be dense. Their job has a lot more to it than helping people with the
vagaries of Windows.

OldManRiver OldManRiver is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Fox View Post

A. There is a Windows setting which can affect whether this searches
file contents.

[Windows Explorer] : Tools >> Folder Options >> Search

What to search
( ) In indexed locations, search file names and contents.
In non-indexed locations, search file names only.
( ) Always search file names and contents (this might take
several minutes)

--
Regards
Ralph

No such options in Win7. Those options are available in XP, but not 7. Win Explorer gives no menus at all, so can not get to where you are or thinking.

Please keep your versions straight.

Thanks!

OMR

OldManRiver OldManRiver is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Bogle View Post
Which of the following applies:

[ ] Your IT guys are incompetent
[ ] Even the most competent IT guys can get stumped by Dimdows
[ ] They have more important things to worry about.
You forgot:

[x] They think Win-"Dooohs"! is not only the only solution but also always right.

Cheers!

OMR