Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Performance Issue: Canon Lenses or Camera Body Causing SofterFocus

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Performance Issue: Canon Lenses or Camera Body Causing SofterFocus

 
 
Bob AZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2010
*
>
> I use the Canon Rebel XS, so my range may be limited, but I still want to
> have upwards mobility for the lenses. *IOW - is that sharpness the best I
> can expect from this camera body, or does it get ridiculously steeper in
> price as a better zoom lens is found?


SneakyP

I had similar situation with my 20D. Seems that the Preferences
setting was way off. If you have the option find the Preferences
settings and raise the value to 9 or 10 I think it is.

Bob AZ
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2010
Bob AZ wrote:
>
>> I use the Canon Rebel XS, so my range may be limited, but I still want to
>> have upwards mobility for the lenses. IOW - is that sharpness the best I
>> can expect from this camera body, or does it get ridiculously steeper in
>> price as a better zoom lens is found?

>
> SneakyP
>
> I had similar situation with my 20D. Seems that the Preferences
> setting was way off. If you have the option find the Preferences
> settings and raise the value to 9 or 10 I think it is.


What Preferences, Bob? Camera settings or software, and which, please.

==

john mcwilliams
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
otter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2010
On Jul 16, 1:01*am, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bob AZ wrote:
>
> >> I use the Canon Rebel XS, so my range may be limited, but I still want to
> >> have upwards mobility for the lenses. *IOW - is that sharpness the best I
> >> can expect from this camera body, or does it get ridiculously steeper in
> >> price as a better zoom lens is found?

>
> > SneakyP

>
> > I had similar situation with my 20D. Seems that the Preferences
> > setting was way off. If you have the option find the Preferences
> > settings and raise the value to 9 or 10 I think it is.

>
> What Preferences, Bob? Camera settings or software, and which, please.


My camera has a "sharpness" setting under Picture Style -> Detail
Set. It increases contrast along edges. The downside is it can
create noticeable artifacts (halos) if you overdo it. It only affects
the JPEGs created in-camera, not the RAW file.

You can also do the same thing in Photoshop, or similar programs.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob AZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2010
> What Preferences, Bob? Camera settings or software, and which, please.
>
> ==
>
> john mcwilliams


John

In your instruction book under preferences. This will guide you to it.

BOb AZ

 
Reply With Quote
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2010
Bob AZ wrote:
>> What Preferences, Bob? Camera settings or software, and which, please.


> In your instruction book under preferences. This will guide you to it.
>

Er, o.k., so it's a setting for in camera JPEG processing. I shot RAW
almost exclusively when I used my 20 D, [since replaced by the 50D as I
kept getting err99.] I didn't see any problem with JPEGs from the
camera, using only default settings.

Was surprised to learn there were 10 stops of sharpness settings.

--
john mcwilliams
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Performance Issue: Canon Lenses or Camera Body Causing Softer Focus eatmorepies Digital Photography 5 07-17-2010 03:31 AM
Re: Performance Issue: Canon Lenses or Camera Body Causing Softer Focus David J Taylor Digital Photography 12 07-15-2010 10:11 AM
Help Choosing Canon 20D Setup (Body, lenses, flash, etc) A Digital Photography 24 11-16-2004 11:45 PM
Canon EOS300D - just get body and use film lenses? Wapenga Digital Photography 11 10-27-2004 10:36 AM
can i use canon A-1 SLR camera lenses on a dSLR camera? Mario Digital Photography 2 04-19-2004 04:04 PM



Advertisments