Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma's getting unrealistically greedy

Sigma's getting unrealistically greedy

RichA

$1000 for a fast kit zoom? Are they insane? As much as an Olympus
12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).

http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10071501sigma1750mm.asp

Me

On 16/07/2010 10:22 a.m., RichA wrote:
> $1000 for a fast kit zoom? Are they insane? As much as an Olympus
> 12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).
>
> http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10071501sigma1750mm.asp

Sigma MSRP is almost meaningless, except that you can guess street price
will be about 60% +/- 10% of MSRP.
You also just assume that an Olympus 4/3 lens will be "better in every
performance area", but you have no data at all on which to base that
assumption. So perhaps it's you who is insane?

Mr. Strat

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> $1000 for a fast kit zoom? Are they insane? As much as an Olympus
> 12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).

If people would just avoid Sigma products, they'd be much better off.

Rich

On Jul 15, 7:09*pm, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 16/07/2010 10:22 a.m., RichA wrote:> $1000 for a fast kit zoom? *Are they insane? *As much as an Olympus
> > 12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).

> >http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10071501sigma1750mm.asp

> Sigma MSRP is almost meaningless, except that you can guess street price
> will be about 60% +/- 10% of MSRP.
> You also just assume that an Olympus 4/3 lens will be "better in every
> performance area", but you have no data at all on which to base that
> assumption. *So perhaps it's you who is insane?

So you think the Sigma will beat the Olympus? Do you know any other
lens companies that measure lenses at 60lppm, including Zeiss or
Leica? BTW, is the Sigma fully weatherproof?

Bruce

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:22:52 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>$1000 for a fast kit zoom? Are they insane? As much as an Olympus
>12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).
>
>http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10071501sigma1750mm.asp

The Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF (phew!) is well made and
significantly cheaper. It is unlikely to be bettered by the Sigma.

Indeed, Nikon users don't have to pay all that much more (than the
Sigma) for the AF-S Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED DX. This is probably
better optically as well as having much higher residual value, which
is important when it comes to upgrading, for example to FX.

Bruce

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:24:27 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jul 15, 7:09*pm, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 16/07/2010 10:22 a.m., RichA wrote:> $1000 for a fast kit zoom? *Are they insane? *As much as an Olympus
>> > 12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).

>> >http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10071501sigma1750mm.asp

>> Sigma MSRP is almost meaningless, except that you can guess street price
>> will be about 60% +/- 10% of MSRP.
>> You also just assume that an Olympus 4/3 lens will be "better in every
>> performance area", but you have no data at all on which to base that
>> assumption. *So perhaps it's you who is insane?

>So you think the Sigma will beat the Olympus? Do you know any other
>lens companies that measure lenses at 60lppm, including Zeiss or
>Leica?

It's a pity that a lens of such optical excellence as the Olympus
Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD can only be used on crippled
Four Thirds sensors.

Pete Stavrakoglou

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> $1000 for a fast kit zoom? Are they insane? As much as an Olympus
> 12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).
>
> http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10071501sigma1750mm.asp

Two things which should be obvious to you:

1) the lens will sell for less than MSRP as all of Sigma's lenses do
2) it's not a kit lens

You need to find something constructive to do with your time inmstead of
going off half-cocked like you did once again.

Chris Malcolm

In rec.photo.digital Mr. Strat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> $1000 for a fast kit zoom? Are they insane? As much as an Olympus
>> 12-60 (which would destroy the Sigma in every performance area).

> If people would just avoid Sigma products, they'd be much better off.

Not in my case. My Sigma lens isn't my most expensive or
optically best lens, but as it happens it's the lens whose
photographs have earned me the most money

--
Chris Malcolm

Stuffed Crust

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10071501sigma1750mm.asp

> The Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD IF (phew!) is well made and
> significantly cheaper. It is unlikely to be bettered by the Sigma.

There's also the Tokina 165 (16-50/2.8 DX), also cheaper and generally
well-regarded -- but.

What differentiates the new Sigma is optical image stabilization and an
internal ultrasonic focus motor. The lenses aren't directly comparable
because of that.

- Solomon [wanting a fast zoom in the 50-100mm range..]
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^

RichA

On Jul 16, 2:40*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:24:27 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Jul 15, 7:09*pm, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> On 16/07/2010 10:22 a.m., RichA wrote:> $1000 for a fast kit zoom? *Are they insane? *As much as an Olympus

> >> Sigma MSRP is almost meaningless, except that you can guess street price
> >> will be about 60% +/- 10% of MSRP.
> >> You also just assume that an Olympus 4/3 lens will be "better in every
> >> performance area", but you have no data at all on which to base that
> >> assumption. *So perhaps it's you who is insane?

> >So you think the Sigma will beat the Olympus? *Do you know any other
> >lens companies that measure lenses at 60lppm, including Zeiss or
> >Leica? *

> It's a pity that a lens of such optical excellence as the Olympus
> Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 SWD can only be used on crippled
> Four Thirds sensors.

Well, you could consider high ISO a waste due to noise, I consider 3:2
sensor a waste because of their format.

Greedy and non greedy quantifiers Dan Kelly Ruby 4 01-19-2008 08:36 PM
Greedy quantifier - Java 0 07-11-2005 01:34 AM
RegEx: Is there such a thing as "non-greedy backwards"? mrclean_ii@hotmail.com Java 5 01-25-2005 04:07 PM
Regex again - non-greedy matching kaeli Java 3 05-07-2004 07:36 PM
greedy v. non-greedy matching Matt Garrish Perl Misc 4 02-16-2004 03:25 PM

Advertisments