Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is python suitable for my needs?

Is python suitable for my needs?

Simon SSt

Hi,

Never too late to discover a new language

I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
(solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
and 10.x.

I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me:
Monitoring the UNIX box?
Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?
Get JMX metrics from Weblogic Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a
scripting tool based on Jython)

Thanks for your hints.

Simon

Steven D'Aprano

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:36:25 +0200, Simon SSt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Never too late to discover a new language
>
> I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
> consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
> (solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
> and 10.x.
>
> I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me: Monitoring the
> UNIX box?

You're probably better off using existing tools like Nagios and Munin
rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. But yes, Python is a fine
language for tasks like that. Server monitoring is an awfully big wheel
to reinvent though; you should have a good reason for not using an
existing, well-tested and supported product.

> Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?

Google blocked where you are?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub...n-queries.html
http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Python

If you've got specific questions that you couldn't answer by googling,
you should say so.

> Get JMX metrics from Weblogic
> Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a scripting tool based on
> Jython)

That's a pretty good hint. Are you aware that Jython is Python
implemented in Java instead of C? In other words, Jython *is* Python.

--
Steven

Simon SSt

Le 15/07/2010 14:26, Steven D'Aprano a écrit :
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:36:25 +0200, Simon SSt wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Never too late to discover a new language
>>
>> I hope anybody could help me answering my questions. I'm a technical
>> consultant for a software editor. Our software is running on the UNIX
>> (solaris 10 / AIX 5L), Sybase 15.x / Oracle 10G , Weblogic Server 9.x
>> and 10.x.
>>
>> I'd like to know if Python is suitable for helping me: Monitoring the
>> UNIX box?

> You're probably better off using existing tools like Nagios and Munin
> rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. But yes, Python is a fine
> language for tasks like that. Server monitoring is an awfully big wheel
> to reinvent though; you should have a good reason for not using an
> existing, well-tested and supported product.
>

>> Get some metrics from Sybase and Oracle?

> Google blocked where you are?
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub...n-queries.html
> http://wiki.oracle.com/page/Python
>
> If you've got specific questions that you couldn't answer by googling,
> you should say so.
>

>> Get JMX metrics from Weblogic
>> Server (Weblogic Server is provided with a scripting tool based on
>> Jython)

> That's a pretty good hint. Are you aware that Jython is Python
> implemented in Java instead of C? In other words, Jython *is* Python.

Regarding the System monitoring, I agree there are plenty of excellent
solution and I shouldn't reinventing the wheel. I just want a script
that will give me some info regarding the system state that I can use at
any client site...but this monitoring part isn't my priority.

Regarding the DB, thanks for your link I'll look at them thoroughly.

And finally for JMX, yes I know about Jython so I'll investigate it.

Thanks

-----
Simon