Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I bet no one knows enough to answer THIS question... !

I bet no one knows enough to answer THIS question... !

Scotius

Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

Robert Coe

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:52:04 -0400, Scotius <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
: square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

IOW, Will we help you cheat on your take-home physics exam?

Ans.: No

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2010-07-15, Scotius wrote:
> Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
> square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

Apart from the fact that they are usually rectangular, not square,
round photos would waste a lot of film and paper.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com/photos/>
Author: ===============================

John McWilliams

Scotius wrote:
> Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
> square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.

--
lsmft

krishnananda

In article <i1loqb$36i$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Scotius wrote:
> > Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
> > square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

> It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.

The Nikon 8mm 180-degree fisheye produces a circular image on
rectangular film, as do other non-full-frame fisheyes.

But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?

In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

Rich

On Jul 14, 8:52*pm, Scotius <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * * * Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
> square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

It is a waste, but some rectangles are less sensible that other. Like
how 3:2 is inferior to 4:3.

John McWilliams

krishnananda wrote:
> In article <i1loqb$36i$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Scotius wrote:
>>> Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
>>> square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

>> It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.

> The Nikon 8mm 180-degree fisheye produces a circular image on
> rectangular film, as do other non-full-frame fisheyes.
>
> But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
> 10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?
>
> In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

Roger that! There is one theory that the average klutzy BBQer will drop
two in front of the guests, and have to dispose of them in the garbage
instead of putting 'em back on the grill.

--
john mcwilliams

Twibil

On Jul 14, 7:48*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> > But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
> > 10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?

> > In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

> No longer true.
> Now there is an 8 pack of dogs (Nathan's & Ball Park) to match the bun 8 pack.
> ...but it is the same price as the old 10 pack.

And this is known as "Marketing".

Twibil

On Jul 14, 8:36*pm, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
> > 10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?

> > In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

> Roger that! There is one theory that the average klutzy BBQer will drop
> two in front of the guests, and have to dispose of them in the garbage
> instead of putting 'em back on the grill.

Another theory posits that many klutzy BBQers own large dogs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3541701218/

John McWilliams

Twibil wrote:
> On Jul 14, 8:36 pm, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
>>> 10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?
>>> In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

>> Roger that! There is one theory that the average klutzy BBQer will drop
>> two in front of the guests, and have to dispose of them in the garbage
>> instead of putting 'em back on the grill.

> Another theory posits that many klutzy BBQers own large dogs.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3541701218/

And just the right number! Two.....

--
john mcwilliams

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like
Norman Einstein." - Football commentator and former player Joe
Theismann, 1996