Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Apple: Laughing at the sheep

Apple: Laughing at the sheep

Rich

Rich

On Jul 13, 5:34*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/....tape/index.ht...

> If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
> a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
> up for anything preceded with an "i."

The new model will be the iPhone DT a special model that includes a
1/2" x 2" strip of duct tape, for only $25.00 over the cost of the
current iPhone.

SMS

On 13/07/10 7:30 PM, Rich wrote:

> The new model will be the iPhone DT a special model that includes a
> 1/2" x 2" strip of duct tape, for only $25.00 over the cost of the
> current iPhone.

I'm sure a bunch of manufacturers in China are gearing up production of
1/2" x 2" pieces of duct tape and it will be available after-market for
much less than $25.

otter

On Jul 13, 4:34*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/....tape/index.ht...

> If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
> a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
> up for anything preceded with an "i."

The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
last weekend, and the place was a zoo. I've never seen a store so
crowded.

Bruce

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT), otter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Jul 13, 4:34*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT), Rich <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/....tape/index.ht...

>> If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
>> a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
>> up for anything preceded with an "i."

>The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
>last weekend, and the place was a zoo. I've never seen a store so
>crowded.

With sheep, presumably?

I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
a Dell Streak. So far, so good.

And it plays Flash videos, beautifully.

Shawn Hirn

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/...ex.html?hpt=C2

I don't have an iPhone 4, but there is an Apple Store five minutes from
where I live. I stopped by there and I tried to get it to drop all the
signal bars, but the signal strength remained steady. I tried it on
several different display models. They all worked fine.

Last Saturday, I had lunch with a friend who bought an iPhone 4 and she
loves it. I tried getting the signal strength to drop on it too by
holding it on the lower corners, but the signal strength remained strong.

So I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I know a lot of people who
have iPhones. They really are great. I have an iPhone 3GS and I love it.
I think that all anyone who has this signal strength problem with an
iPhone needs to do is put it in a case. There are so many reasons to
keep any cell phone in a protective case anyway, especially those with a
touch screen, that I honestly do not see what the big deal here is.

Bruce

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:01:13 -0400, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I don't have an iPhone 4, but there is an Apple Store five minutes from
>where I live. I stopped by there and I tried to get it to drop all the
>signal bars, but the signal strength remained steady. I tried it on
>several different display models. They all worked fine.
>
>Last Saturday, I had lunch with a friend who bought an iPhone 4 and she
>loves it. I tried getting the signal strength to drop on it too by
>holding it on the lower corners, but the signal strength remained strong.

You are obviously unaware of two faults; one is that any contact
between your fingers and the aerial dramatically reduces signal
strength, and the other is that the signal strength meter is faulty
and shows a strong signal when in fact it is weak. In particular, it
shows no sign of the reduction in signal strength when you touch the
aerial.

Both faults have officially been admitted by Apple, but so far there
are no proposals from the company as to how either will be fixed.

>So I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

No, you don't appear to be able to see it at all.

otter

On Jul 14, 3:53*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:51 -0700 (PDT), otter
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Jul 13, 4:34*pm, Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> If I hadn't seen this video on CR's web site, I'd have thought it was
> >> a joke. Well, to be fair, there IS a joke here; the boneheads who line
> >> up for anything preceded with an "i."

> >The funny thing is I happened to drop by the Apple Store in the Mall
> >last weekend, and the place was a zoo. *I've never seen a store so
> >crowded.

> With sheep, presumably?

I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid. Sheep are pretty laid-
back. These were more like monkeys. The atmosphere was frenetic.
The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
was when the original macs came out.

> I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
> a Dell Streak. *So far, so good. *
>
> And it plays Flash videos, beautifully. *

I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

Still, that is a snazzy little phone, even with the duct tape.

otter

On Jul 14, 9:48*am, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
> (E-Mail Removed), "otter"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Jul 14, 3:53*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> With sheep, presumably?

> > I worked on a sheep ranch when I was a kid. *Sheep are pretty laid-
> > back. *These were more like monkeys. *The atmosphere was frenetic.
> > The last time I recall seeing this much excitement in a computer store
> > was when the original macs came out.

> >> I decided to replace my iPhone 3G, which is just out of contract, with
> >> a Dell Streak. *So far, so good. *

> >> And it plays Flash videos, beautifully. *

> > I don't own any apple products now. *I went down that road for a
> > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
> > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".

That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile.

However, I may try it again some time. Not completely ruling it out.

Peter

"otter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jul 14, 9:48 am, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7/14/10 9:39 AM, in article
> (E-Mail Removed), "otter"

> > I don't own any apple products now. I went down that road for a
> > while, but finally got fed up with paying twice as much for every
> > little thing, compatibility issues, and lack of software.

> Your loss. "Once you go Mac, you never go back".
>

>That's interesting, because I did go Mac for awhile. However, I may try it
>again some time. Not > completely ruling it out.

I have used Photoshop and Corel on both the Mac and PC without noticing any
significant difference.
The graphics shops I know seem to prefer Mac, though that may be because of
familiarity.

I use the PC because it has more of the programs I use and I also need a
minimal futz factor when exchanging files. Although my new i7 machine beats
anything I have previously used, I am confident that the new Macs also have
the speed.

You are correct though lower operating costs on a PC.
And Yes I know about compatibility.

--
Peter