Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monitors slowly evolving

Monitors slowly evolving

RichA

Me

On 11/07/2010 2:15 p.m., RichA wrote:
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...es/10bit.shtml

Not saying that having 10 bit panels isn't an advance, but one of the
problems with LCDs (vs CRT) is non-linear response on the LCD sub-pixels
to the signal. That can be corrected to some degree by calibration, and
so 10 bits probably with more precision (or can it - when >10 bit
internal LUTs are already used in these monitors?), but:
Some of the 8 bit IPS panels available at relatively low cost are pretty
good these days - minimal or no visible banding of (8 bit) gradients.
Eizo used to use Samsung-made VA matrix panels. Nothing inherently
wrong with them, also used by NEC etc, except that VA panels typically
show some "black crush" - poor definition of near black levels,
especially at a very slight angle. The improvement that the LL notes
"But the most obvious user observation would be that the lower zones of
the image are depicted far more accurately in both color and gradation"
is possibly (or even probably) attributable to comparing the new screen,
(which happens to be 10 bit, but uses an in plane switching "IPS" panel)
with another older Eizo (or other professional level monitor) which
probably had a VA panel.

LOL!

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:59:35 +1200, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/07/2010 2:15 p.m., RichA wrote:
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...es/10bit.shtml
>>

>Not saying that having 10 bit panels isn't an advance, but one of the
>problems with LCDs (vs CRT) is non-linear response on the LCD sub-pixels
>to the signal. That can be corrected to some degree by calibration, and
>so 10 bits probably with more precision (or can it - when >10 bit
>internal LUTs are already used in these monitors?), but:
>Some of the 8 bit IPS panels available at relatively low cost are pretty
>good these days - minimal or no visible banding of (8 bit) gradients.
>Eizo used to use Samsung-made VA matrix panels. Nothing inherently
>wrong with them, also used by NEC etc, except that VA panels typically
>show some "black crush" - poor definition of near black levels,
>especially at a very slight angle. The improvement that the LL notes
>"But the most obvious user observation would be that the lower zones of
>the image are depicted far more accurately in both color and gradation"
>is possibly (or even probably) attributable to comparing the new screen,
>(which happens to be 10 bit, but uses an in plane switching "IPS" panel)
>with another older Eizo (or other professional level monitor) which
>probably had a VA panel.

10-bit displays, 14-bit camera sensors, 16-32-bit editors ....

And still I have yet to see even ONE of you put any of it to worthwhile
use. Color bit-depth is never going to automatically bestow any of you with
photographic skill and talent, no matter how much you think it might help.
Just what the world needs is a 32-bit depth image displayed on a 10-bit
depth monitor of yet another blurry and crappy image of your flea-bag of a
cat.

LOL!!

Me

On 11/07/2010 3:36 p.m., LOL! wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:59:35 +1200, Me<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 11/07/2010 2:15 p.m., RichA wrote:
>>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...es/10bit.shtml
>>>

>> Not saying that having 10 bit panels isn't an advance, but one of the
>> problems with LCDs (vs CRT) is non-linear response on the LCD sub-pixels
>> to the signal. That can be corrected to some degree by calibration, and
>> so 10 bits probably with more precision (or can it - when>10 bit
>> internal LUTs are already used in these monitors?), but:
>> Some of the 8 bit IPS panels available at relatively low cost are pretty
>> good these days - minimal or no visible banding of (8 bit) gradients.
>> Eizo used to use Samsung-made VA matrix panels. Nothing inherently
>> wrong with them, also used by NEC etc, except that VA panels typically
>> show some "black crush" - poor definition of near black levels,
>> especially at a very slight angle. The improvement that the LL notes
>> "But the most obvious user observation would be that the lower zones of
>> the image are depicted far more accurately in both color and gradation"
>> is possibly (or even probably) attributable to comparing the new screen,
>> (which happens to be 10 bit, but uses an in plane switching "IPS" panel)
>> with another older Eizo (or other professional level monitor) which
>> probably had a VA panel.

> 10-bit displays, 14-bit camera sensors, 16-32-bit editors ....
>
> And still I have yet to see even ONE of you put any of it to worthwhile
> use. Color bit-depth is never going to automatically bestow any of you with
> photographic skill and talent, no matter how much you think it might help.
> Just what the world needs is a 32-bit depth image displayed on a 10-bit
> depth monitor of yet another blurry and crappy image of your flea-bag of a
> cat.

I don't have a cat, just a troll-killing mountain dog:
http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/20221633.jpg

LOL!

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:53:37 +1200, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/07/2010 3:36 p.m., LOL! wrote:

>>> Not saying that having 10 bit panels isn't an advance, but one of the
>>> problems with LCDs (vs CRT) is non-linear response on the LCD sub-pixels
>>> to the signal. That can be corrected to some degree by calibration, and
>>> so 10 bits probably with more precision (or can it - when>10 bit
>>> internal LUTs are already used in these monitors?), but:
>>> Some of the 8 bit IPS panels available at relatively low cost are pretty
>>> good these days - minimal or no visible banding of (8 bit) gradients.
>>> Eizo used to use Samsung-made VA matrix panels. Nothing inherently
>>> wrong with them, also used by NEC etc, except that VA panels typically
>>> show some "black crush" - poor definition of near black levels,
>>> especially at a very slight angle. The improvement that the LL notes
>>> "But the most obvious user observation would be that the lower zones of
>>> the image are depicted far more accurately in both color and gradation"
>>> is possibly (or even probably) attributable to comparing the new screen,
>>> (which happens to be 10 bit, but uses an in plane switching "IPS" panel)
>>> with another older Eizo (or other professional level monitor) which
>>> probably had a VA panel.

>> 10-bit displays, 14-bit camera sensors, 16-32-bit editors ....
>>
>> And still I have yet to see even ONE of you put any of it to worthwhile
>> use. Color bit-depth is never going to automatically bestow any of you with
>> photographic skill and talent, no matter how much you think it might help.
>> Just what the world needs is a 32-bit depth image displayed on a 10-bit
>> depth monitor of yet another blurry and crappy image of your flea-bag of a
>> cat.
>>

>I don't have a cat, just a troll-killing mountain dog:
>http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/20221633.jpg

Damn, I should have said "yet another blurry and crappy image of your
flea-bag of a cat or dog." You definitely got the blurry part down pat.
Enjoying that shallow DOF are you?

LOL!

Me

On 11/07/2010 4:11 p.m., LOL! wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:53:37 +1200, Me<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> 10-bit displays, 14-bit camera sensors, 16-32-bit editors ....
>>>
>>> And still I have yet to see even ONE of you put any of it to worthwhile
>>> use. Color bit-depth is never going to automatically bestow any of you with
>>> photographic skill and talent, no matter how much you think it might help.
>>> Just what the world needs is a 32-bit depth image displayed on a 10-bit
>>> depth monitor of yet another blurry and crappy image of your flea-bag of a
>>> cat.
>>>

>> I don't have a cat, just a troll-killing mountain dog:
>> http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/20221633.jpg

> Damn, I should have said "yet another blurry and crappy image of your
> flea-bag of a cat or dog." You definitely got the blurry part down pat.
> Enjoying that shallow DOF are you?

Oh - forgot to say this was taken with a P&S. Shutter speed was way too
slow to freeze motion blur. The old flea bag gets twitchy when she
smells a troll.

LOL!

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:32:06 +1200, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11/07/2010 4:11 p.m., LOL! wrote:

>>> I don't have a cat, just a troll-killing mountain dog:
>>> http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/20221633.jpg

>> Damn, I should have said "yet another blurry and crappy image of your
>> flea-bag of a cat or dog." You definitely got the blurry part down pat.
>> Enjoying that shallow DOF are you?
>>

>Oh - forgot to say this was taken with a P&S. Shutter speed was way too
>slow to freeze motion blur. The old flea bag gets twitchy when she
>smells a troll.

In the mountains we call dogs that size, "Bear & Puma Snacks", and in the
Everglades they are the favored size for "Gator Snacks". It was always so
funny when some little yappy flea-bag mutt like that would start barking at
the edge of a canal. Then moments later you hear its distraught owner
yelling, "Oh NO! My Mr. Bonzo! HELP HELP! THAT GATOR IS SWALLOWING MY POOR
LITTLE DOGGY, WHOLE!"

I always wonder if they ever learn anything from it.

LOL!

Darwinism in action, I can never get enough of it.

LOL!

NGBarfart

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
LOL! <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:32:06 +1200, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Damn, I should have said "yet another blurry and crappy image of your
> >> flea-bag of a cat or dog." You definitely got the blurry part down pat.
> >> Enjoying that shallow DOF are you?
> >>

> >Oh - forgot to say this was taken with a P&S. Shutter speed was way too
> >slow to freeze motion blur. The old flea bag gets twitchy when she
> >smells a troll.

A little blind side petard hoist, nice. )

> In the mountains we call dogs that size, "Bear & Puma Snacks", and in the
> Everglades they are the favored size for "Gator Snacks". It was always so
> funny when some little yappy flea-bag mutt like that would start barking at
> the edge of a canal. Then moments later you hear its distraught owner
> yelling, "Oh NO! My Mr. Bonzo! HELP HELP! THAT GATOR IS SWALLOWING MY POOR
> LITTLE DOGGY, WHOLE!"

Mountains! You have mountains in that Minnesota basement?

> I always wonder if they ever learn anything from it.
>
> LOL!
>
> Darwinism in action, I can never get enough of it.

The real demonstration of Darwinism in action, is you not breeding in
that basement. We can rest easy with the knowledge there will be no
bouncing baby nym-shifters in our future.

--
Just another troll tracker

LOL!

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:32:06 +1200, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Oh - forgot to say this was taken with a P&S. Shutter speed was way too
>slow to freeze motion blur.

Oh, I forgot to say, this was also shot with a superzoom compact camera
during sunset.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/...285b02f4_b.jpg

You're pretty lousy at knowing how to use any camera, aren't you. Thanks
for proving that to the whole world.

LOL!

Me

On 11/07/2010 4:43 p.m., LOL! wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:32:06 +1200, Me<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Damn, I should have said "yet another blurry and crappy image of your
>>> flea-bag of a cat or dog." You definitely got the blurry part down pat.
>>> Enjoying that shallow DOF are you?
>>>

>> Oh - forgot to say this was taken with a P&S. Shutter speed was way too
>> slow to freeze motion blur. The old flea bag gets twitchy when she
>> smells a troll.

> In the mountains we call dogs that size, "Bear& Puma Snacks", and in the
> Everglades they are the favored size for "Gator Snacks".

These mutts were bred as ratters - very effective at it they are too,
also good at catching rabbits, and despite their small size, hunting
wild boars (easily trained to grab them by the balls and hold them while
you stick them). You make the common mistake of confusing all small dogs
with generally useless lap dogs.