Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: The Cloud in McDonald's - no incoming audio on Sipgate?

Re: The Cloud in McDonald's - no incoming audio on Sipgate?

tg

this struck a chord with me because when I dial sipgate voicemail from my
voip phone I get no audio. I get a data stream just like a normal call but
silence on the phone. I'm convinced there's something cooky in sipgate's
codecs but all I get from their tech staff is shrugged shoulders.

Chris Davies

tg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> this struck a chord with me because when I dial sipgate voicemail from my
> voip phone I get no audio.

Generally, or when using the Cloud?

> I'm convinced there's something cooky in sipgate's
> codecs but all I get from their tech staff is shrugged shoulders.

Sipgate works well for me here at home. Hence the question
Chris

tg

"Chris Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> tg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> this struck a chord with me because when I dial sipgate voicemail from my
>> voip phone I get no audio.

> Generally, or when using the Cloud?

generally.
normal voice calls work fine, it's just the voicemail service has no audio
from my sip phone.

Roger

"tg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c39e3de$0$2530$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Chris Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> tg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> this struck a chord with me because when I dial sipgate voicemail from
>>> my
>>> voip phone I get no audio.

>> Generally, or when using the Cloud?

> generally.
> normal voice calls work fine, it's just the voicemail service has no audio
> from my sip phone.

The same happens if you use a 3CX exchange to call sipgate voicemail on any
ISP connection- no audio - but all other calls to and via sipgate work fine.
Theres a number of threads about it on the 3CX forums.

Chris Davies

Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The same happens if you use a 3CX exchange to call sipgate voicemail on any
> ISP connection- no audio - but all other calls to and via sipgate work fine.
> Theres a number of threads about it on the 3CX forums.

Skimming through
http://www.3cx.com/forums/sipgate-vo...ent-10529.html I'd
almost put money on it being the SIP processing algorithm in the user's
modem/router. Turn that off and SIP would likely work again. (Duh.)

If you're thinking of some other issue you'll have to point me to it as
I didn't see one on a quick search.

Chris

tg

> Skimming through
> http://www.3cx.com/forums/sipgate-vo...ent-10529.html I'd
> almost put money on it being the SIP processing algorithm in the user's
> modem/router. Turn that off and SIP would likely work again. (Duh.)

and exactly which SIP processing algorithm would that be?

Gordon Henderson

In article <4c3e1241$0$28011$(E-Mail Removed)>,
tg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Skimming through
>> http://www.3cx.com/forums/sipgate-vo...ent-10529.html I'd
>> almost put money on it being the SIP processing algorithm in the user's
>> modem/router. Turn that off and SIP would likely work again. (Duh.)

>and exactly which SIP processing algorithm would that be?

He probably means the SIP ALG - Application Layer Gateway - a layer of
software which ironically breaks most SIP connections through routers
that have it installed...

No use to the OP though who doesn't have control over the routers used in
"The Cloud" Wi-Fi network as supplied in MacD's...

Gordon

Roger

"Chris Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> tg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> this struck a chord with me because when I dial sipgate voicemail from
>> my voip phone I get no audio.

>> normal voice calls work fine, it's just the voicemail service has no
>> audio
>> from my sip phone.

> Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The same happens if you use a 3CX exchange to call sipgate voicemail on
>> any
>> ISP connection- no audio - but all other calls to and via sipgate work
>> fine.
>> Theres a number of threads about it on the 3CX forums.

> Skimming through
> http://www.3cx.com/forums/sipgate-vo...ent-10529.html I'd
> almost put money on it being the SIP processing algorithm in the user's
> modem/router. Turn that off and SIP would likely work again. (Duh.)
>
> If you're thinking of some other issue you'll have to point me to it as
> I didn't see one on a quick search.
>
> Chris

But in the same thread on 3CX someone with this problem on their LAN CAN
hear the voicemail prompts if they connect by WIFI on the same network using
their Nokia mobile which would tend to suggest its not just the router/modem
but a combination of the router and SIP client that cause the problem .
Either way all I wanted to point out was that it isn't just a problem at
"The Cloud". What I never understood is how come all other calls to sipgate
work fine - including, PSTN and calls to 10000 but calls to 50000 dont
work - weird.