Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHT budget?

KODAK EASYSHARE Z915: Good choice for a college student on TIGHT budget?

me@privacy.net

Need a LONG zoom.

Don't want to spend more than $150

Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

DanP

On Jul 10, 9:52*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Need a LONG zoom.
>
> Don't want to spend more than $150
>
> Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

Yes, for your budget is a good choice. If you want to take pictures
without thinking then you have found your camera,

If you are serious about photography then consider the Canon SX120,
you might find a refurbished one for $150.
It has a wider aperture, can focus closer and take longer exposures
(not hand held).
But the most important thing for me is it has aperture and shutter
priority (Z915 does not).
Plus you can use CHDK with Canon cameras (will keep you busy for a
while if you are a geek).

As I don't own any of them I would take a card to a shop and ask the
shop assistant to take pictures with both then view them at home and
decide. Z915 has a lower pixel density so I expect it to have a better
image quality (needs to be seen).

I do own a previous model, Canon SX100, and I full appreciate the
extra features that Kodak is missing.

DanP

me@privacy.net

DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you are serious about photography then consider the Canon SX120,
>you might find a refurbished one for $150.

OK will look into that one as well

and yes.....I'm not against buying used or refurbish by
any means

thanks guys!!

Oh.... one other thing.... a reasonably fast "response"
time between shots would be nice.... is the Canon
faster than the Kodak in that regard?

DanP

On Jul 11, 2:41*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >If you are serious about photography then consider the Canon SX120,
> >you might find a refurbished one for $150.

> OK will look into that one as well
>
> and yes.....I'm not against buying used or refurbish by
> any means
>
> thanks guys!!
>
> Oh.... one other thing.... a reasonably fast "response"
> time between shots would be nice.... is the Canon
> faster than the Kodak in that regard?

No, Kodak Z915 manages 1.5 fps (frames per second) but for 3 shots
only, Canon SX120 does .9 fps.
However, SX120 might take more than 3 shots faster than Z915.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kodak_z915.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_sx120is.asp

Decision

me@privacy.net

"tcroyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

>I have one, among other cameras.
>
>It's extremely portable and takes reasonable quality photos. I like that it
>uses AA batteries for power instead of proprietary ones.

Question for the group...

How MUCH "zoom" is good?

I have no idea the practical diff between say 10x vs
15x......

Bottom line.... what is the "sweet spot" on how much
"zoom" will be good enough for say taking long shot
photos at a football game?

David J Taylor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> Question for the group...
>
> How MUCH "zoom" is good?
>
> I have no idea the practical diff between say 10x vs
> 15x......
>

> Bottom line.... what is the "sweet spot" on how much
> "zoom" will be good enough for say taking long shot
> photos at a football game?

You're asking the wrong question. Zoom (as you used it) is simply ratio
between the longest and the shortest focal lengths, it does /not/ indicate
the minimum field of view. For that, you need the focal length (typically
expressed as a 35mm equivalent). For some sports, and for bird
photography, 250-300mm may not be enough, and you're looking at 500-800mm.
Fixed focal length lenses may be cheaper than zooms in that range. If you
can't stretch to that, or hold such a lens steady, revise the types of
photos you're going to take, and concentrate on the atmosphere rather than
close-ups of the competitors.

David

DanP

On Jul 18, 5:23*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "tcroyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Is the Z915 a decent cam for me?

> >I have one, among other cameras.

> >It's extremely portable and takes reasonable quality photos. *I like that it
> >uses AA batteries for power instead of proprietary ones.

> Question for the group...
>
> How MUCH "zoom" is good?
>
> I have no idea the practical diff between say 10x vs
> 15x......
>
> Bottom line.... what is the "sweet spot" on how much
> "zoom" will be good enough for say taking long shot
> photos at a football game?

All zoom lenses work with compromises and the higher the zoom range is
the worst they perform at the wide and close ends.
There is no general sweet spot, see it for yourself and decide if it
is enough for you.

Some people are happy with a 15x range, some would not go beyond 5x.
And to make the matter more confusing not all lenses with a certain
zoom range perform the same.

More important than the zoom factor is the equivalent focal length of
the lenses.
Take 2 lenses with the same zoom range, say 5x, one with 20-100mm and
another with 36-180mm.
The 36-180mm one will let you take better pictures of small birds and
the 20-100mm will manage better landscape shots.

To cut it short, go on Flickr and see images taken with a particular
camera and decide for yourself.
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/kodak/z915/
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_sx100_is/

DanP