Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > I can't install software

I can't install software

ab

I can't install software via a CD onto my laptop.
I can't play DVD's from my laptop to my TV via a cable.
I also can't transfer pictures from my SD memory card
via a SD slot in my laptop. Is there anyone who can help
me fix this problem.

I only bought my Sony laptop in January 2010 and has
Windows 7 on it. I would be grateful if anyone could help me
sort out this problem out, because I'm trying to install
the software for a microsoft wireless mouse and absolutely
nothing happens. Thanks.

Colin Trunt

"ab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can't install software via a CD onto my laptop.
> I can't play DVD's from my laptop to my TV via a cable.
> I also can't transfer pictures from my SD memory card via a SD slot in my
> laptop. Is there anyone who can help me fix this problem.
>
> I only bought my Sony laptop in January 2010 and has Windows 7 on it. I
> would be grateful if anyone could help me
> sort out this problem out, because I'm trying to install
> the software for a microsoft wireless mouse and absolutely
> nothing happens. Thanks.

Right.

1 Does the drive work?

2 If so can you copy the files from the CD onto your computer.

Try downloading the software for the mouse.

I think normally they do not need installation software,
mind didn't (non microsoft, so it's not a heap of overblown
overpriced buggy ****).

3 All the software for installing the mouse should be availble to
download from microsoft, however as mmicrosoft are complete
rip-off useless bastards you might find it is not available from them.

4 A third party may have the software avilable for down load.

You carefuly omitted to specify the mouse thus making it impossible
for people to help you.

5 Your description of the problem is terrible.

Paul

ab wrote:
> I can't install software via a CD onto my laptop.
> I can't play DVD's from my laptop to my TV via a cable.
> I also can't transfer pictures from my SD memory card via a SD slot in
> my laptop. Is there anyone who can help me fix this problem.
>
> I only bought my Sony laptop in January 2010 and has Windows 7 on it. I
> would be grateful if anyone could help me
> sort out this problem out, because I'm trying to install
> the software for a microsoft wireless mouse and absolutely
> nothing happens. Thanks.

I would recommend a forum like this, since you seem to have
several problems, and they might not be that easy to fix.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...2-f7613dc1ea6a

The thing that bothers me most about your description, is

"I'm trying to install the software... and absolutely
nothing happens"

When you post in the appropriate forum, you should tell them

1) What version of Windows 7 (Starter, Ultimate, 32 bit, 64 bit, whatever)

2) Do you have any antivirus software installed ?

Pros: Antivirus software protects your computer
Cons: Antivirus software can interfere with software installation

3) Have you disabled UAC ? (That's the thing that pops up
all the time, asking if you really want to do this...)

4) Do you have any special software installed ? Things
like a Roxio product for CDs. Or something like Norton
GoBack. There are some third party tools, that are
notorious for interfering with certain functions of
your OS.

5) It might also help, to post a URL for the place you
got your software that won't install. For example, they
might be able to use that information, to determine whether
the software installer supports 32 bit or 64 bit OS installs.

By providing that info up front, it'll mean they have
to ask you fewer follow up questions.

You can describe all your symptoms, as you have above, but
ask for help getting the software installation to work first.
I have a feeling the other problems may be easier to fix,
whereas getting the software installer to work first is
pretty important. It may mean there are more serious
problems, like malware at work.

*******

USENET has alt.windows7.general, but it is 95% trolls. There
is one MVP who visits occasionally, but otherwise you might not
get help there. Thanks to Microsoft's new interest in controlling
the message, by having their own forums, you're likely
stuck with getting help at social.answers.microsoft.com or
the like. No matter whether you use a web interface or an NNTP
bridge software, it'll still mean logging in and setting up an
account as far as I know. (By using accounts and logins, they
can turf any disruptive posters or trolls.)

I'm not going to recommend reinstalling Windows to you,
because the source of the problem might be trivial. I don't
know if there is a working "repair" function, in an OEM laptop
install of Windows 7 or not. A Repair might do less
damage than "using the Recovery Partition", which
typically removes the contents of C: entirely. If
you're doing anything like that, make sure you understand
what the side effects will be, and backup any user data first.
There is nothing worse, than pressing that Function key
at startup, only to realize later you lost your email database
and all your user data files. Before "major brain surgery",
always do a backup. An external USB hard drive is a good
way to do a quick backup. Some even come with backup software.

Paul