Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Printer - Circular Reference

Printer - Circular Reference

Jeff Gaines

I have an odd situation in respect of an HP Deskjet.

It is physically connected to my main PC which now runs XP x64. It is
shared so it appears on the laptop as 'auto HP deskjet'. The main PC then
picks that up and installs it on the main machine as 'auto HP deskjet from
laptop'. This then seems to go back and forth with additional printers
added (with copy 1, copy 2 etc.) until Windows decides enough is enough.
The Event Viewer once contained several hundred entries relating to the
deletion of ghost printers.

When I reboot the main PC it always attempts to install printer drivers
and fails. The printer works fine from both machines.

Has anybody come across this / solved it?

I did un-install it and re-install it but it made no difference.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

GS

here is a quick kludge that may help if you are sharing printer nor
files/folder from laptop:
on you laptop, disable file and printer sharing
that ought to stop the circular behaviour

if you have to share files between the two, you can try go into laptop make
sure the DeskJet copy on you laptop is not shared

news(E-Mail Removed)...

On 12/07/2010 in message <OZm#(E-Mail Removed)> GS wrote:

>here is a quick kludge that may help if you are sharing printer nor
>files/folder from laptop:
>on you laptop, disable file and printer sharing
>that ought to stop the circular behaviour
>
>if you have to share files between the two, you can try go into laptop make
>sure the DeskJet copy on you laptop is not shared

Many thanks GS

I've gone back to x32 for now (I had some other issues too), I wonder if
the HP x64 drivers aren't very good.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

Allan

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have an odd situation in respect of an HP Deskjet.
>
> It is physically connected to my main PC which now runs XP x64. It is
> shared so it appears on the laptop as 'auto HP deskjet'. The main PC then
> picks that up and installs it on the main machine as 'auto HP deskjet from
> laptop'. This then seems to go back and forth with additional printers
> added (with copy 1, copy 2 etc.) until Windows decides enough is enough.
> The Event Viewer once contained several hundred entries relating to the
> deletion of ghost printers.
>
> When I reboot the main PC it always attempts to install printer drivers
> and fails. The printer works fine from both machines.
>
> Has anybody come across this / solved it?
>
> I did un-install it and re-install it but it made no difference.

You could forget about printer sharing and get a dedicated printer for your
laptop. The cost of inkjet cartridges can quickly become greater than the
investment in the printer itself. For example, Dell sometimes gives a
printer for free when you buy a laptop.

Circular template reference Boris C++ 3 10-15-2006 12:15 AM
Accessing Class / Circular Reference George Durzi ASP .Net 2 06-02-2005 02:04 PM
Circular (triangular) structure reference T Koster C Programming 6 02-08-2005 07:22 PM
Semi-circular definitions (plus circular references) Kiuhnm C++ 16 01-03-2005 03:49 AM
A dilemna with circular reference of headers file JCB C Programming 3 07-09-2003 01:40 PM

Advertisments