Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > P&S's suck, and it isn't just noise or DR

P&S's suck, and it isn't just noise or DR

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>This is Samsung's latest P&S's tested, arguably, one of the better

Yes, yes, you're an elitist snob and troll and you hate everything.

Got it.

You've made your point.

--
Ray Fischer

krishnananda

In article <Xns9DB51AF2D5FE048umofa02sneakemailc@127.0.0.1> ,
SneakyP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:13:06 -0700, Savageduck
> > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> >
> >>. My G11 is one such higher priced
> >>compact, but it supplements my D300s and has the level of user control
> >>I want.

> > All this fuss over terms...I don't see the G11 as "compact". The
> > mainstream point-and-shoots *are* compact. They a slim, capable of
> > fitting in a shirt pocket or a trouser pocket without bulge or weight,
> > and they are truly compact cameras.
> >
> > The G11 camera body seems to me to be almost as large and bulky as a
> > slr or dslr with a 55mm (or thereabouts) size lens. Yes, there are
> > pockets that will accommodate them, but big pockets.
> >
> > The term "point and shoot" came into use because it described the
> > simplicity of operation. Then, camera makers started adding options
> > to these cameras that allow the user to choose between the simple
> > settings and more advanced settings.
> >
> > The less complicated the camera, the more compact it can be. The
> > basic point-and-shoots are more deserving of the description "compact"
> > than the upper-tier non-dslrs owned by people who object to their
> > cameras being called "point and shoot" cameras. Yet, they want their
> > cameras called "compacts" to avoid the perception of owning something
> > simple.
> >
> > I really can't understand the distress expressed by those who object
> > to the "point and shoot" term. It's the photograph that is judged,
> > not the device that took it.
> >

> It has to be a price vs. equipment issue skewed in a world where more
> equipment doesn't necessarily mean more pictures (or better quality
> pictures), yet the perception of the public is that mr. multi-lensed
> camera carrier will always compose the better picture simply because
> he/she has more options.
>
> There's a tradeoff in going either direction - and both marketing camps
> know them enough to minimize their own shortcomings.
>
> ::Shrugs my shoulders

How about "point & hope"?

Even back in the film P&S days I remember going to stadium rock concerts
and seeing thousands and thousands of tiny flashes firing throughout the
audience as folks who snuck their cameras past security either forgot or
didn't now how to turn off their flashes. Even my beloved Olympus Stylus
had to have its flash turned off manually every time the camera was
turned on, since it didn't retain the settings I wanted.

I guess that one was a "point & curse"...