Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Miami, FL - the UK has no monopoly on restricting photography

Miami, FL - the UK has no monopoly on restricting photography

Bruce

Those of you who read Rich Anderson's postings may be forgiven for
thinking that the UK is the only country in the world where police and
security personnel restrict the freedom of photographers.

Here's a quote from an article on the "Photography Bay" web site about
an incident in Miami, Florida. It tells a similar story about the USA:

START QUOTE

In [the linked] video, you see that Carlos Miller (of Photography Is
Not A Crime) and photojournalist Stretch Ledford were stopped while
taking photos at Douglas Road Metro Station in Miami – before they
even got into the station and while they were still in the parking
lot.

While we’ve seen prior videos from other photographers that some
readers have accused of baiting officers into a confrontation, Ledford
actually contacted the Miami-Dade Transit Chief of Security to
ascertain the actual rules for photography on the Metrorail premises
before they ever set out to take any photos. Miller was openly
filming the encounter, and while Ledford appeared to remain
cool-headed throughout the confrontation, the private security company
seems to have stepped well beyond its legal boundaries.

This is yet another sad event in an ongoing trend of photographers’
confrontation with police and security.

END QUOTE

The full article makes some very good points about training of police
and security personnel and links to the video referred to:

http://tinyurl.com/33ygs54
or:
http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...1ZUPlJfk0P62xu

Paul Heslop

Bruce wrote:

> Those of you who read Rich Anderson's postings may be forgiven for
> thinking that the UK is the only country in the world where police and
> security personnel restrict the freedom of photographers.

to give you an idea of how it is abused here in the UK a guy was on a
train and was so disgusted at the massive overcrowding which led to
cases etc being left in the aisle and other concerns, which he saw as
a breach of safety regulations. he decided that he would photograph
the stuff so he would have proof of conditions and, yes, you guessed
it, was continually warned that what he was doing was illegal due to
anti terrorist legislation.

--
Paul (we break easy)
Stop and Look

Paul Heslop

bugbear wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> (pssst - the geocities site in your sig doesn't exist - obviously)
>
> BugBear

:O) thanks, I am aware, but I suffer from OCD and the damn thing
won't let me delete the link for now.

--
Paul (we break easy)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Robert Coe

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:24:54 -0700, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: See also "Man Arrested by Amtrak Police for Taking Photographs for
: Amtrak Photography Contest" (Schneier on Security)
: <http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/02/man_arrested_by.html>

So whar's the tentative conclusion from all this? That the whole incident was
a fake from the beginning?

Bob

Monopoly 3 t.terrell Computer Support 12 10-12-2008 04:06 AM
Sydney School Teaches with Linux Monopoly Have A Nice Cup of Tea NZ Computing 2 03-21-2006 11:05 AM
Monopoly like game Nik Coughlin NZ Computing 0 01-11-2006 11:28 PM
Microsoft fails to have monopoly lawsuit dismissed TechNews Computer Support 13 06-16-2004 10:33 PM
MS EU Monopoly on Last Leg Buck Rogers NZ Computing 4 08-09-2003 12:16 PM

Advertisments