Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Need help - VHDL CODE for my project

Need help - VHDL CODE for my project

07-08-2010
Can anyone give me a code for multithreading in VHDL. Actually thread has to execute only one instruction from each thread at a time and cycle upto N threads.

My project is to create a processor that executes only one instruction per each thread at a time upto 'N' available threads.

Can you please explain the threading concept in VHDL.

07-09-2010
Search the net for the interactive book: "EVITA VHDL" - can be downloaded for free and will hopefully give you some answers.

But please note - VHDL a Hardware Description Language - hence will the result be a system (hardware) where all threads are 'executed' in parallel.
If your plans involve code for simulation can you depend on the fact that VHDL code 'executed' in parallel by the simulator-program, however not in real-time (in our world)

07-09-2010
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Could you tell me how can i switch threads in this because i want to do a single core multi-threading processor that executes only one instruction per each thread at a time of N available threads.

Its a Barrel processor. I searched for the architecture and i m not able to find it. I have to modify the simple processor architecture according to the above requirements...

Could you please give suggestions and help me..?

07-10-2010
The concept of threads belong to the software level - and VHDL only useful to descripe hardware - but I beleive your about to design a state machine.

The Barrel processor in fact a programmable state machine and hence must it include the ablity to swich between tasks.