Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > REPOST: I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see my

Reply
Thread Tools

REPOST: I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see my

 
 
TheStoneCrusher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see my
external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell Dimension
XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.

I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by Toshiba. I
sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an email to Fujitsu and
they confirmed the nothing.

I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console option)
with no difference.

I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The light
comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some ports a new
external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks for a disk to be
installed.

Any suggestions that might help?

Goodwill,
Luke



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2010
"TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4c351710$0$31286$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see
> my external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell
> Dimension XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
>
> I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by
> Toshiba. I sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an
> email to Fujitsu and they confirmed the nothing.
>
> I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
> option) with no difference.
>
> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
> for a disk to be installed.
>
> Any suggestions that might help?
>

A *disk* or a disk with *drivers*?



--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PeeCee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2010

"TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4c351710$0$31286$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see my
> external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell Dimension
> XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
>
> I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by Toshiba.
> I
> sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an email to Fujitsu
> and
> they confirmed the nothing.
>
> I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
> option)
> with no difference.
>
> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The light
> comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some ports a new
> external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks for a disk to
> be installed.
>
> Any suggestions that might help?
>
> Goodwill,
> Luke
>
>
>




Luke

Three possibilities come to mind.
(I'm working on the assumption the drive is a 2.5" Port powered one)

1. The drive or electronics are faulty.
Unlikely if you can plug it into other PC's / Laptops and it works 100%.
I have seen External Hard drives (2.5" port powered) that are marginal.
In this case you should get inconsistent results across a range of PC's
suggesting the drive may be returnable under warranty.

2. The cable is faulty.
eg You've added an extension, or used a third party cable.
I got caught with this today, Bought a short (16CM) USB A to USB Mini B for
use on an external HD.
It simply 'would not work' , replacing the cable with the original supplied
with the drive and it worked properly.
I note you've used all the ports on your PC so that suggests it's not down
to the PC's internal wiring.

3 Your PC's USB ports are not quite up to spec.
Ran across this one recently on two PC's that wouldn't drive front panel
Card readers USB ports properly.
The same Readers worked fine on other motherboards, but not on these ones.
Having said that, in your case I note (again) your problem is common to all
of your USB ports which makes this unlikely.

Of the three possibilities #1 should be easy to determine. If it works in
many other PC's it's not the drive.
The harder one is when you have a combination of #2 & #3.
In this case you are going to get finger pointing by the PC maker and the
drive maker.
Sometimes it is easiest to just cut your losses and quit it to someone that
it works for and go buy a new one.

Note you should be dealing with the external drive vendor not
Fujitsu/Toshiba.


Best
Paul.

 
Reply With Quote
 
TheStoneCrusher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2010

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9DAED0CFEDD5Bchuck@127.0.0.1...
> "TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:4c351710$0$31286$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see
>> my external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell
>> Dimension XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
>>
>> I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by
>> Toshiba. I sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an
>> email to Fujitsu and they confirmed the nothing.
>>
>> I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
>> option) with no difference.
>>
>> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
>> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
>> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
>> for a disk to be installed.
>>
>> Any suggestions that might help?
>>

> A *disk* or a disk with *drivers*?
>
>
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )


It asks for a disk to be put in the drive!!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
TheStoneCrusher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2010

"Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:36:48 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
>>> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
>>> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
>>> for a disk to be installed.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions that might help?
>>>

>>A *disk* or a disk with *drivers*?

>
> Serious chucktard?
>
> First, when was the last time you needed a 'disk with drivers' for a
> USB hard drive?

Never
>
> Second, what error message do you know of that says "Please insert a
> disk with drivers" in it in Windows?

No! It just says to insert a disk into drive F:/
>
> "Please insert a disk into drive <X>:"
>
> http://joshitha.files.wordpress.com/...isk-error2.jpg
>
> Pretty common Windows error.
>
> Go back under your bridge, troll.
> --

Is this an invite for dinner?

> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious and .invalid from my e-mail
> address.


Let me see now . . . I have had two solutions out of 13 postings. I've had
more people expose their crudeness rather than their intelligence.


 
Reply With Quote
 
TheStoneCrusher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2010

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i13l4l$rd5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4c351710$0$31286$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see my
>> external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell Dimension
>> XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
>>
>> I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by Toshiba.
>> I
>> sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an email to Fujitsu
>> and
>> they confirmed the nothing.
>>
>> I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
>> option)
>> with no difference.
>>
>> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
>> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
>> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
>> for a disk to be installed.
>>
>> Any suggestions that might help?
>>
>> Goodwill,
>> Luke
>>
>>
>>

>
>
>
> Luke
>
> Three possibilities come to mind.
> (I'm working on the assumption the drive is a 2.5" Port powered one)
>
> 1. The drive or electronics are faulty.
> Unlikely if you can plug it into other PC's / Laptops and it works 100%.
> I have seen External Hard drives (2.5" port powered) that are marginal.
> In this case you should get inconsistent results across a range of PC's
> suggesting the drive may be returnable under warranty.
>
> 2. The cable is faulty.
> eg You've added an extension, or used a third party cable.
> I got caught with this today, Bought a short (16CM) USB A to USB Mini B
> for use on an external HD.
> It simply 'would not work' , replacing the cable with the original
> supplied with the drive and it worked properly.
> I note you've used all the ports on your PC so that suggests it's not down
> to the PC's internal wiring.
>
> 3 Your PC's USB ports are not quite up to spec.
> Ran across this one recently on two PC's that wouldn't drive front panel
> Card readers USB ports properly.
> The same Readers worked fine on other motherboards, but not on these ones.
> Having said that, in your case I note (again) your problem is common to
> all of your USB ports which makes this unlikely.
>
> Of the three possibilities #1 should be easy to determine. If it works in
> many other PC's it's not the drive.
> The harder one is when you have a combination of #2 & #3.
> In this case you are going to get finger pointing by the PC maker and the
> drive maker.
> Sometimes it is easiest to just cut your losses and quit it to someone
> that it works for and go buy a new one.
>
> Note you should be dealing with the external drive vendor not
> Fujitsu/Toshiba.
>
>
> Best
> Paul.


Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. Unfortunately I cannot deal with
the vendor. It is a long boring story but the drive was originally in my
laptop and the Dell tech said it was defective even though it tested OK.
Once I removed the drive I put it in a USB case and formatted (full) it. I
then ran some HD utilities I have and it tested OK.

I have four USB ports. Usually three out of four show that phony disk drive
F:/ and on some occasions only two out of four show it. I have used three
different cables with the same result.

Someone suggested to me that it was a problem with the IRQs!!! I have no
idea how to deal with that. He said that there was a limited number and
that some 'hardware' that I no longer use is probably assigned to one of the
IRQs - whatever that means.
Goodwill,
Luke


 
Reply With Quote
 
TheStoneCrusher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2010

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:45:08 +1200, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote:
>
>>Luke
>>
>>Three possibilities come to mind.
>>(I'm working on the assumption the drive is a 2.5" Port powered one)
>>
>>1. The drive or electronics are faulty.
>>Unlikely if you can plug it into other PC's / Laptops and it works 100%.
>>I have seen External Hard drives (2.5" port powered) that are marginal.
>>In this case you should get inconsistent results across a range of PC's
>>suggesting the drive may be returnable under warranty.

>
> I've seen USB flash do the same thing. It's the port or the
> connection.

Thank you for your reply. It does not work in any of my four ports and I
have used three different cables.
Goodwill,
Luke


 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2010
"TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4c360733$0$5004$(E-Mail Removed):

>
> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9DAED0CFEDD5Bchuck@127.0.0.1...
>> "TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:4c351710$0$31286$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I am running a Dell Inspiron (8100) with XP Pro SP3 and it cannot see
>>> my external (USB 2) Fujitsu HD (N124). When I pug it into my Dell
>>> Dimension XPS running XP Home it show up with no trouble.
>>>
>>> I contacted Fujitsu & found that their HDs were being handled by
>>> Toshiba. I sent an email to them & have heard nothing. I sent an
>>> email to Fujitsu and they confirmed the nothing.
>>>
>>> I just 'reinstalled' XP Pro with the repair option (not the console
>>> option) with no difference.
>>>
>>> I have used a hub and varied each USB port with a power supply. The
>>> light comes up on my external drive and flickers upon boot. In some
>>> ports a new external drive appears. When you try to access it it asks
>>> for a disk to be installed.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions that might help?
>>>

>> A *disk* or a disk with *drivers*?
>>


>
> It asks for a disk to be put in the drive!!!
>

And what does disk management say about the drive?

BTW *any* usb device (or for that matter *any* hardware used by windows)
*requires* a driver period. Specifically in this case the ide port and
hardware *in* your caddy.


--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2010
"TheStoneCrusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4c360c46$0$5003$(E-Mail Removed):

>
> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i13l4l$rd5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

> Thank you for your very thoughtful reply. Unfortunately I cannot deal
> with the vendor. It is a long boring story but the drive was
> originally in my laptop and the Dell tech said it was defective even
> though it tested OK. Once I removed the drive I put it in a USB case
> and formatted (full) it. I then ran some HD utilities I have and it
> tested OK.
>
> I have four USB ports. Usually three out of four show that phony disk
> drive F:/ and on some occasions only two out of four show it. I have
> used three different cables with the same result.
>
> Someone suggested to me that it was a problem with the IRQs!!! I have
> no idea how to deal with that. He said that there was a limited
> number and that some 'hardware' that I no longer use is probably
> assigned to one of the IRQs - whatever that means.


Pure nonsence. Unless you're *only* using ISA cards (something that hasn't
been used this century) it's not a problem. PCI uses IRQ holders. You can
even see multiple ones under system in device manager.

Have you tried removing the drive, uninstalling the drivers for the caddy,
rebooting and then reinstalling those drivers?

Do you have anything like Alcohol 110% installed (used for writing ISO
files to CD)? It uses a virtual drive to emulate a real one.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2010
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:32:41 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> nonsence


WTF?????



--
I'm Josef Fritzl, and No Windows was my idea.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restore screen on Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop running Windows XP Pro =?Utf-8?B?R3V5IFJlZ3VsYXI=?= Windows 64bit 0 10-31-2006 06:39 PM
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG - Cant connect to wireless in Dell Inspiron 1300 albertleng Wireless Networking 5 09-17-2006 12:45 AM
Mac mini and Dell Inspiron 6000 connected to router; Mac can browse, Dell can't Adam Computer Support 3 11-21-2005 10:52 AM
UPDATE Re: Dell Inspiron 600m & Dell recovery CD ? Chris NZ Computing 7 07-20-2004 07:23 AM
Dell Inspiron 600m & Dell recovery CD ? Chris NZ Computing 10 07-07-2004 11:37 AM



Advertisments