Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Windows Vista Suspend mode

Re: Windows Vista Suspend mode

chuckcar

John Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:v6adnROAs-

> On 04/07/2010 20:34, Grinder wrote:
>> On 7/4/2010 11:51 AM, John Smith wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been given an Advent 6551 laptop to look at as it appears to be
>>> sending no video to the screen. I suspect that it has been in suspend
>>> mode as I am getting a "Resuming Windows" message. On that note the
>>> screen blanks and ceases video output.
>>>
>>> Is there a fix? I am not too familiar with the keyboard function keys
>>> and I think that is where the problem lies.

>> I know this is going to sound obvious, but I swear that I do not think
>> you're an idiot: Are you certain that you ac adapter is functioning
>> properly?
>>
>> Just recently I had a friend describe these very similar problems, and
>> it turns out that their battery was completely discharged, and their ac
>> adapter was non-function in a non-obvious way.
>>
>> Check for ac adapter status lights on the laptop. Check the adapter with
>> a voltage tester. Try with a different, compatible and known working
>> adapter.

> OK sorted.
>
> Downloaded a Vista emergency recovery CD ran some utils and recovered by
> restoring a previous good version. Appears a Windows update had bolloxed
> the machine.

Actually what is likely to have happened is the hibernate save file got
corrupted. The fix is to boot with a repair CD and then delete it, then
remove the CD and reboot.

You never say hibernate or sleep. The difference is substantial. With
hibernate, the computer saves it's memory to the aformentioned file and
turns completely off, with sleep, the computer just goes into low power
mode, but leaves windows in memory and is still running.
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )