Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Unused cables left in router?

Re: Unused cables left in router?

Rick

> I have a Linksys N router....I was wondering (as it's a little difficult to aces my
> router on top of my computer hutch) is there any harm in leaving the cable
> plugged into the router at one end and the other end going unused...

The harm could come from an errant finger touching the
wire and emitting an electrostatic dischage!

Rick

nobody > wrote:
> On 7/6/2010 2:13 PM, Rick wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I have a Linksys N router....I was wondering (as it's a little
>>> difficult to aces my
>>> router on top of my computer hutch) is there any harm in leaving the
>>> cable
>>> plugged into the router at one end and the other end going unused...

>> The harm could come from an errant finger touching the
>> wire and emitting an electrostatic dischage!

> PS: it's "discharge", not "dischage" (SSF here)

Gracia!

> The chances of that on modern gear are about zilch.

"about" ain't "Nada" my man!

> ESD is real; I've been in the QC lab and seen the craters on chip dies
> caused by it.
>
> But... any decent engineer/circuit designer *should* have provided
> protection for same in end-item stuff.

They will put in a zener diode (or zena diode for the MA crowd) to sink
your ESD. HOWEVER, a much abused zener diode can fail over time.

> Put it this way, if ESD killed it, it *needed* to die.

"That's the Fact, Jack!"