Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: router question

Re: router question

Mike Easter

snuhwolf wrote:
> Does my linksys use the MAC address of my net-card to assign an IP for a
> given length of time?

Yes and it doesn't matter about the lease time. When a lease expires it
is renewed.

> Since I need to assign a static IP to make BeOS
> work well given its dhcp issues can I make this permanent in the router?

Yes.

What kind of problem are you trying to solve?

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

snuhwolf wrote:

> Should I use the *same* static IP with different installs of an OS on
> the same computer, using the *same* network card in both instances?

Absolutely. You're talking about multibooting I presume. That way you
won't have to do anything different with the router - the box's nic's
MAC will be the same regardless of OS booted and likewise the static IP.
So the router 'won't know the difference'.

That is, if you are going to (or have to) configure the BeOS for a
static IP, then you should configure whatever other multiboot OS such as
XP for a static IP. Else you will have to be - might have to be -
messing with the router whenever you mess with/ change/ the booted OS.

>> What kind of problem are you trying to solve?
>>

> Well I'm hoping its not hardware related like a failing system.
> Maybe this dell is dying bit by bit.
> Getting the pcmcia card to wake up, show up in ifconfig with a HW
> address, and getting the network to communicate is a daily struggle.
> I'm considering getting rid of this laptop :/

I'm not sure I grok the symptoms of not waking up.

--
Mike Easter

Aardvark

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 15:34:55 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

>> Yes and it doesn't matter about the lease time. When a lease expires
>> it
>> is renewed.
>>

> Ok.
> Should I use the *same* static IP with different installs of an OS on
> the same computer, using the *same* network card in both instances?

Works OK here.

Mike Easter

snuhwolf wrote:

> I read an article that said you could use a static IP (like for a
> printer) if its outside the range of the routers DHCP allocation.
> So if its starting IP's are 192.168.2.100 then you'd set your printer as
> 192.168.2.99

I've never heard of such a thing. it doesn't make sense to me. I don't
feel like searching for such an article which doesn't have a link here.

>>> Getting the pcmcia card to wake up, show up in ifconfig with a HW
>>> address, and getting the network to communicate is a daily struggle.
>>> I'm considering getting rid of this laptop :/
>>>

>> I'm not sure I grok the symptoms of not waking up.
>>

> I could post the output of /var/syslog but it might bore you to death

I'm not sure that log holds the answer to whatever means not waking up.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2010-07-07, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> snuhwolf wrote:
>
>> I read an article that said you could use a static IP (like for a
>> printer) if its outside the range of the routers DHCP allocation.
>> So if its starting IP's are 192.168.2.100 then you'd set your printer as
>> 192.168.2.99

> I've never heard of such a thing. it doesn't make sense to me. I don't
> feel like searching for such an article which doesn't have a link here.

[...]

The modem/router I'm using at present doesn't allow for a mixture of
dynamic and static addresses; all have to be one or the other. Or to put
it another way, its DHCP server is either 'on' or 'off'. More advanced
routers do allow for static and dynamic IPs to exist together, and in
those cases of course the static IPs must be allocated manually and must
not be within the range of IP numbers which the DHCP server can allocate
dynamically.

If the dynamic IPs start with 192 I think it would be better to make the
static IPs start with 10 or 172 to make the difference obvious.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Aardvark

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 08:06:01 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:

>> expires
>>>>
>>> Ok.
>>> Should I use the *same* static IP with different installs of an OS

>> on
>>> the same computer, using the *same* network card in both instances?

>> Works OK here.
>>

> Well thats all right then. I'll just use yours.

Mike Easter

Whiskers wrote:
> Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> snuhwolf wrote:
>>
>>> I read an article that said you could use a static IP (like for a
>>> printer) if its outside the range of the routers DHCP allocation.
>>> So if its starting IP's are 192.168.2.100 then you'd set your printer as
>>> 192.168.2.99

>> I've never heard of such a thing. it doesn't make sense to me. I don't
>> feel like searching for such an article which doesn't have a link here.

> [...]
>
> The modem/router I'm using at present doesn't allow for a mixture of
> dynamic and static addresses; all have to be one or the other. Or to put
> it another way, its DHCP server is either 'on' or 'off'. More advanced
> routers do allow for static and dynamic IPs to exist together, and in
> those cases of course the static IPs must be allocated manually and must
> not be within the range of IP numbers which the DHCP server can allocate
> dynamically.

My router AirLink AR325W allows me to use DHCP and also to assign IPs
within the range.

As a specific example, my gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask
255.255.255.0. I have an access point connected which wants to have a
fixed IP of 192.168.1.250

So I set up that IP in the router for its MAC and let the DHCP assign
all the rest of the IPs.

It seems to me that all the routers I have looked at in that regard are
similar to that - a LinkSys, a TrendNet, and a no-name marketed by Fry's
a big electronics chain.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something about the conditions under which
the DHCP has to be turned off on your router. Are you saying that you
can't assign an IP address within the subnet mask *and* have the DHCP
turned on? (to assign any other IPs within the mask).

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2010-07-07, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:

[...]

> Maybe I am misunderstanding something about the conditions under which
> the DHCP has to be turned off on your router. Are you saying that you
> can't assign an IP address within the subnet mask *and* have the DHCP
> turned on? (to assign any other IPs within the mask).

Yes. It's a rather basic router, but cheap. When my previous router
started to act up, I decided to go for a cheap one that should last until
consumer/SoHo models that can handle IPv6 are easy to find.

--
-- Whiskers