Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ebay and shill bidding, finally someone is charged

Ebay and shill bidding, finally someone is charged

Russ D

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:52:29 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:09:59 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>f Isn't this the whole point to free-trade, commerce, and
>>capitalism? Whoever can screw-over the other guy the best, wins? Until I
>>learn otherwise from a preponderance of examples in society I'll keep the
>>thieves' secret safe with me. It may come in handy the next time I'm
>>bidding on a really nice item.
>>

>To your initial question, the answer is an unequivocal NO. That is
>not "the whole point" of "free-trade, commerce, and capitalism".
>
>The fact that people exist who are willing to exploit weaknesses in a
>system doesn't not mean that the system was designed with this in
>mind.
>
>You're merely exploiting the exploiters, which doesn't make you any
>better than they are. Imho, a better solution is to identify all
>exploiters and take action - this effectively fixes the weaknesses. It
>doesn't have to be perfect, but if it significantly reduces the
>success rate (i.e., the profitability) for the fraudsters, then it
>will become less of an incentive for them.

Pay me $7,000,000 to give you their secret. Then the weaknesses in the
system will be restored.

That's capitalism. I have something you want. Pay me for it at the price
that I determine is fair. $7 million is a small drop in the bucket compared
to how many millions that ebay, paypal, buyers, and reputable sellers are
losing to these scammers. I'd say that $7 million is an excellent bargain
price. Especially for something that will benefit all for many many years
to come.

Cough it up!

While I wait for you to pay that, I'll keep winning the best deals on ebay
while all others get scammed. Your choice.

While typing this I noticed that the price jumped from $1 million to $4
million, and in final editing it went to $7 million. It doesn't appear that
the price is dropping any time soon. You might want to get in on this deal
before the price jumps up even higher.

Russ D

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:04:14 +0100, bugbear
<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

>Russ D wrote:
>>
>> When buying a nice electronic piano not long ago, I noticed a pattern with
>> some sellers. Since I research things for a long time before deciding on a
>> purchase, this gave me several weeks of watching some items being sold on
>> ebay and how they were panning out. There's a large group of sellers who
>> are completely bogus. They just take the paypal payment and run. At first I
>> thought of reporting the simple pattern they use and how to spot them. But
>> then I noticed that all bidders would bid on their items, leaving the
>> genuine sellers alone.

>Really? This means all the others bidders could tell the difference
>too. And were deliberately bidding with the crooks.
>
>That sounds ... unlikely.

Yes, very unlikely, because your thinking is ****ed-up. They *could* tell
the difference between reputable sellers and the con-artists, but ONLY if
they knew what I figured out. Apparently they haven't figured that out or
it wouldn't be working in my favor.

Get it?

No, you don't get it. Because you can't even figure out this much yet.

You'd most certainly be one of those who were busily bidding on a scam item
while I was off on the side being the lone bidder on a valid item. That
much is clear.

Twibil

On Jul 22, 3:17*pm, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You'd most certainly be one of those who were busily bidding on a scam item
> while I was off on the side being the lone bidder on a valid item. That
> much is clear.

Say hello to Nurse Ratched for us, hum?

jls

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:10:27 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:52:29 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>You're merely exploiting the exploiters, which doesn't make you any
>>better than they are. Imho, a better solution is to identify all
>>exploiters and take action - this effectively fixes the weaknesses. It
>>doesn't have to be perfect, but if it significantly reduces the
>>success rate (i.e., the profitability) for the fraudsters, then it
>>will become less of an incentive for them.

>Pay me $7,000,000 to give you their secret. Then the weaknesses in the
>system will be restored.
>
>That's capitalism. I have something you want. Pay me for it at the price
>that I determine is fair. $7 million is a small drop in the bucket compared
>to how many millions that ebay, paypal, buyers, and reputable sellers are
>losing to these scammers. I'd say that $7 million is an excellent bargain
>price. Especially for something that will benefit all for many many years
>to come.

That's capitalism in the same sense that you want me to pay for that
stolen DVD player you're selling me out of the trunk of your car, I
suppose.

Theft may exist, but that doesn't mean that theft defines what
capitalism is.

Russ D

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:53:06 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:10:27 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:52:29 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>You're merely exploiting the exploiters, which doesn't make you any
>>>better than they are. Imho, a better solution is to identify all
>>>exploiters and take action - this effectively fixes the weaknesses. It
>>>doesn't have to be perfect, but if it significantly reduces the
>>>success rate (i.e., the profitability) for the fraudsters, then it
>>>will become less of an incentive for them.

>>Pay me $7,000,000 to give you their secret. Then the weaknesses in the
>>system will be restored.
>>
>>That's capitalism. I have something you want. Pay me for it at the price
>>that I determine is fair. $7 million is a small drop in the bucket compared
>>to how many millions that ebay, paypal, buyers, and reputable sellers are
>>losing to these scammers. I'd say that $7 million is an excellent bargain
>>price. Especially for something that will benefit all for many many years
>>to come.
>>

>That's capitalism in the same sense that you want me to pay for that
>stolen DVD player you're selling me out of the trunk of your car, I
>suppose.

Not at all, because I didn't steal anything. Try using a better analogy,
like:

I found some gold. Do you want to buy it?

Or how about:

Buy this insurance so you feel safer in life. If not, you risk losing
everything.

Or maybe:

I know which stocks are going to be profitable for you because I found a
better way to analyze the market. Pay me if you want me to tell you.

Don't try calling me a thief just because you haven't found out how to
protect your own self from thieves. That's precisely what you are trying to
do, to manipulate me into feeling sorry for your stupid **** of a self so
that I'll give you something very valuable for free. Ain't going to work,
you sorry dumbshit.

Now that's capitalism.

jls

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:01:21 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:53:06 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:10:27 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>Pay me $7,000,000 to give you their secret. Then the weaknesses in the
>>>system will be restored.
>>>
>>>That's capitalism. I have something you want. Pay me for it at the price
>>>that I determine is fair. $7 million is a small drop in the bucket compared
>>>to how many millions that ebay, paypal, buyers, and reputable sellers are
>>>losing to these scammers. I'd say that $7 million is an excellent bargain
>>>price. Especially for something that will benefit all for many many years
>>>to come.
>>>

>>That's capitalism in the same sense that you want me to pay for that
>>stolen DVD player you're selling me out of the trunk of your car, I
>>suppose.
>>

>Not at all, because I didn't steal anything. Try using a better analogy,
>like:

Yes, exactly. In my example I didn't steal anything either, but chose
to "capitalize" on someone else's illegal behavior.

Exactly like your behavior here.

>Don't try calling me a thief just because you haven't found out how to
>protect your own self from thieves.

I didn't call you a thief, so you're barking up the wrong tree there
bucko. The use of "you're selling" was meant in a more universal
sense.

Okay, how about putting it this way: You're buying something stolen
from the back of someone's car. Does that make you feel better?
You're still exploiting the illegal behavior of someone, just as you
are on ebay.

>That's precisely what you are trying to
>do, to manipulate me into feeling sorry for your stupid **** of a self so
>that I'll give you something very valuable for free. Ain't going to work,
>you sorry dumbshit.

Haha, oh wow. That hurts.

>Now that's capitalism.

It may be "capitalising" on someone else's illegal behavior, but it is
not the right way to pursue true "capitalism".

Twibil

On Jul 27, 10:52*am, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The WHOLE paradigm of "capitalism" is to personally benefit off of the
> misfortunes of others.

Well, no, that's not the case.

> There is NO OTHER DEFINITION.

Of course there is: the real one.

You seem to be suffering from a full-blown psychosis wherein you have
(A) deluded yourself into thinking that you actually understand socio-
economic systems, and (B) have really-and-truly come to believe that
whatever you say will become true if only you repeat it enough times.

Alas for you, actual Capitalism is based on the concept of mutual
gain: I.E. a good deal for both buyer *and* seller. That individuals
will frequently twist this concept to their own gain -usually to the
detriment of others- should come as no surprise to you, seeing as how
every single *other* socio-economic system mankind has so far invented
has been subject to exactly the same problem.

Say hello to Nurse Ratched for us, okay?

jls

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:52:01 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:21:30 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:01:21 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>
>>>Now that's capitalism.

>>It may be "capitalising" on someone else's illegal behavior, but it is
>>not the right way to pursue true "capitalism".

>The WHOLE paradigm of "capitalism" is to personally benefit off of the
>misfortunes of others. There is NO OTHER DEFINITION.

Utter bullshit. I suggest you actually read something.

>Ask Oprah. Her whole
>empire is founded on exploiting the misfortunes of others. As are the
>incomes of EVERY LAST CEO ON THE PLANET.

Ah, okay, now I know you're just pulling my chain.

Russ D

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:37:53 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:52:01 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:21:30 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:01:21 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>>It may be "capitalising" on someone else's illegal behavior, but it is
>>>not the right way to pursue true "capitalism".

>>The WHOLE paradigm of "capitalism" is to personally benefit off of the
>>misfortunes of others. There is NO OTHER DEFINITION.

>Utter bullshit. I suggest you actually read something.

The definitions in your books doesn't match the definition as it exists in
practice in the real world.

I suggest you actually experience real life and take those book-learned-
induced-ignorance blinders off.

"If I had read as many books as other men, I should have been as ignorant
as they are." - Thomas Hobbes

tony cooper

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:37:53 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:52:01 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:21:30 -0400, jls <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:01:21 -0500, Russ D <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>>It may be "capitalising" on someone else's illegal behavior, but it is
>>>not the right way to pursue true "capitalism".

>>The WHOLE paradigm of "capitalism" is to personally benefit off of the
>>misfortunes of others. There is NO OTHER DEFINITION.

>Utter bullshit. I suggest you actually read something.
>
>>Ask Oprah. Her whole
>>empire is founded on exploiting the misfortunes of others. As are the
>>incomes of EVERY LAST CEO ON THE PLANET.

>Ah, okay, now I know you're just pulling my chain.

People who have the attitude Russ D shows are almost always people who
have had no success of their own and resent the success of others. By
portraying successful people as evil, they attempt to justify their
own failures as a mark of goodness.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida