Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > change window 7 to xp home

change window 7 to xp home

nut

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Why not?

>>Because XP doesn't natively support SATA so one has to download the XP
>>SATA hd controller drivers from the chipset manufacturer's website,
>>copy them onto a floppy/floppies, then press F6 at a specific point
>>during the XP install in order to insert those drivers from the
>>floppy. Those drivers will need to be inserted each time XP is
>>reinstalled.
>>
>>If you don't have a floppy you can integrate the SATA drivers into
>>your XP install CD with nLite.

> Well that may have been your experience but the NVidia NForce SATA
> chipset is completely covered by XP SP3. And there may be others
> supporting SATA. Besides that bullshit what's wrong with adding the
> driver with an F6 at install? I've done just that with many
> non-imbedded support for SCSI devices and ended up with a very happy
> OS.

That's assuming you've created a slipstreamed XP3 disc - many users
haven't - and F6 at install requires you to have both a floppy drive and a
spare (working!) floppy disc that you can put the SATA drivers on.

I totally agree with M.L. ... installing XP on a SATA drive is a proper
PITA.

M.L.

>>>Why not?

>>Because XP doesn't natively support SATA so one has to download the XP
>>SATA hd controller drivers from the chipset manufacturer's website,
>>copy them onto a floppy/floppies, then press F6 at a specific point
>>during the XP install in order to insert those drivers from the
>>floppy. Those drivers will need to be inserted each time XP is
>>reinstalled.
>>
>>If you don't have a floppy you can integrate the SATA drivers into
>>your XP install CD with nLite.

>Well that may have been your experience but the NVidia NForce SATA
>chipset is completely covered by XP SP3.

That was not my experience.