Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: What brand of Laptop to get

Re: What brand of Laptop to get

PeeCee

"Suzie Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Middle of the range, capable of multimedia use, separate Graphics card
> 14-15.6" screen size, HDMI out.
>
> Brand that has good support.

Woger

Going on this pdf your best bet is an Asus or Toshiba:
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf

Paul

PeeCee

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i0uk41$63l$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Suzie Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Middle of the range, capable of multimedia use, separate Graphics card
>> 14-15.6" screen size, HDMI out.
>>
>> Brand that has good support.
>>

> Woger
>
> Going on this pdf your best bet is an Asus or Toshiba:
> http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf
>

> Paul

Had an interesting conversation with one of my suppliers the today.

Question was put to them what brand of Laptop would 'you' buy?
HP was the answer.
?????
So I bought up the Square Trade document mentioned above and showed it to
them.

To which they replied, ah but those are most likely "Pavilions"
(actually they said "will" be Pavilions)

OK explain.

Seems the have found the "Pavilion" models are causing all the reliability
issues (including "Pavilion" desktops)
They went on to describe the number of Pavilion Laptops they had returned
last year when they 'were' selling them.
One came back 5 times, each time terminally dead. (the 5th was out of
warranty & HP refused to fix)
When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes and
grinned, 'exactly'

OTOH the HP 'Probook" and "Elitebook" models from their experience are way
better for reliability.
So much so they no longer stock 'Pavilions' only Pro/Elitebook.
The down side, not unexpectedly, is they are dearer for a given spec.

They noted it is not just a case of price either, but of price /
specification.
eg if you compare a Probook i5 with a Pavilion i5 the Pavilion can be some
hundreds of $ cheaper.
That cost saving has to come from somewhere = lower cost parts.
(Just the same as Desktop Pavilions with ECS/MSI motherboards are well known
to be below par for reliability)

So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread that
there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.
If the above comments are true, given the number of 'Pavilions' sold by the
likes of box movers it's no wonder they figure so high in the unreliability
charts.

FWIW
Paul.

John Little

On Jul 14, 4:09*pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes and
> grinned, 'exactly'
> So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread that
> there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.

Thank you for this explanation. I wonder if they realise how much
they're damaging their brand with this approach.

Regards, John

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Little wrote:
> On Jul 14, 4:09 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes
>> and grinned, 'exactly'
>> So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread
>> that there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.

> Thank you for this explanation. I wonder if they realise how much
> they're damaging their brand with this approach.

Oh, I doubt that it's not paying off for them. They're selling more
machines, which means more money. The punter sees more HP machines so is
more likely to think of them when buying time comes around.

It's only informed groups who really know about this stuff.
--
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.

PeeCee

news:i1jlp3$b17$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Little wrote:
>> On Jul 14, 4:09 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes
>>> and grinned, 'exactly'
>>> So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread
>>> that there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.

>> Thank you for this explanation. I wonder if they realise how much
>> they're damaging their brand with this approach.

> Oh, I doubt that it's not paying off for them. They're selling more
> machines, which means more money. The punter sees more HP machines so is
> more likely to think of them when buying time comes around.
>
> It's only informed groups who really know about this stuff.

<snip>

Do my best to spread the word!

One thing I have noticed with HP though is the better the model, the better
the support on their website including drivers for newer versions of
windows.
EG Presario S5020AN (cheap MSI Via motherboard Athlon 2400+) I'm working on
at the moment, go to the website and it is noticeable there is only drivers
for XP, and the 'specifications' simply aren't there.
OTOH Scanjet 5300C Scanner which was sold as a business model some years ago
even has Windows 7 drivers available.

Take every opportunity to berate them about their 'quality' when their dam
(very persistent) 'Surveys' pop up.

P.

victor

On 14/07/2010 4:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:

> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i0uk41$63l$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Suzie Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> Middle of the range, capable of multimedia use, separate Graphics card
>>> 14-15.6" screen size, HDMI out.
>>>
>>> Brand that has good support.
>>>

>> Woger
>>
>> Going on this pdf your best bet is an Asus or Toshiba:
>> http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf
>>

>> Paul
>>

> Had an interesting conversation with one of my suppliers the today.
>
> Question was put to them what brand of Laptop would 'you' buy?
> HP was the answer.
> ?????
> So I bought up the Square Trade document mentioned above and showed it
> to them.
>
> To which they replied, ah but those are most likely "Pavilions"
> (actually they said "will" be Pavilions)
>
> OK explain.
>
> Seems the have found the "Pavilion" models are causing all the
> reliability issues (including "Pavilion" desktops)
> They went on to describe the number of Pavilion Laptops they had
> returned last year when they 'were' selling them.
> One came back 5 times, each time terminally dead. (the 5th was out of
> warranty & HP refused to fix)
> When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes and
> grinned, 'exactly'
>
> OTOH the HP 'Probook" and "Elitebook" models from their experience are
> way better for reliability.
> So much so they no longer stock 'Pavilions' only Pro/Elitebook.
> The down side, not unexpectedly, is they are dearer for a given spec.
>
> They noted it is not just a case of price either, but of price /
> specification.
> eg if you compare a Probook i5 with a Pavilion i5 the Pavilion can be
> some hundreds of $ cheaper.
> That cost saving has to come from somewhere = lower cost parts.
> (Just the same as Desktop Pavilions with ECS/MSI motherboards are well
> known to be below par for reliability)
>
> So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread that
> there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.
> If the above comments are true, given the number of 'Pavilions' sold by
> the likes of box movers it's no wonder they figure so high in the
> unreliability charts.
>

> FWIW
> Paul.

The Pavilions and Presarios are also the ranges where HP only offer a
one year warranty, so most likely to require the extended warranty

--
"I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly."

victor

On 15/07/2010 12:21 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:10:11 +1200, victor<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 14/07/2010 4:09 p.m., PeeCee wrote:
>>>
>>> "PeeCee"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:i0uk41$63l$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Had an interesting conversation with one of my suppliers the today.
>>>
>>> Question was put to them what brand of Laptop would 'you' buy?
>>> HP was the answer.
>>> ?????
>>> So I bought up the Square Trade document mentioned above and showed it
>>> to them.
>>>
>>> To which they replied, ah but those are most likely "Pavilions"
>>> (actually they said "will" be Pavilions)
>>>
>>> OK explain.
>>>
>>> Seems the have found the "Pavilion" models are causing all the
>>> reliability issues (including "Pavilion" desktops)
>>> They went on to describe the number of Pavilion Laptops they had
>>> returned last year when they 'were' selling them.
>>> One came back 5 times, each time terminally dead. (the 5th was out of
>>> warranty& HP refused to fix)
>>> When I mentioned the 'DV' series of Laptops he just rolled his eyes and
>>> grinned, 'exactly'
>>>
>>> OTOH the HP 'Probook" and "Elitebook" models from their experience are
>>> way better for reliability.
>>> So much so they no longer stock 'Pavilions' only Pro/Elitebook.
>>> The down side, not unexpectedly, is they are dearer for a given spec.
>>>
>>> They noted it is not just a case of price either, but of price /
>>> specification.
>>> eg if you compare a Probook i5 with a Pavilion i5 the Pavilion can be
>>> some hundreds of $ cheaper.
>>> That cost saving has to come from somewhere = lower cost parts.
>>> (Just the same as Desktop Pavilions with ECS/MSI motherboards are well
>>> known to be below par for reliability)
>>>
>>> So I guess this confirms a comment someone else made in this thread that
>>> there are "HP" Laptops and there are 'HP' Laptops.
>>> If the above comments are true, given the number of 'Pavilions' sold by
>>> the likes of box movers it's no wonder they figure so high in the
>>> unreliability charts.
>>>

>>> FWIW
>>> Paul.
>>>

>> The Pavilions and Presarios are also the ranges where HP only offer a
>> one year warranty, so most likely to require the extended warranty

> Totally illegal you do not need a extended warranty as its covered by
> the C.G.A. don't you listen to the news as off late..
>

> Check some of the Gov site it list how long things should last..

There isn't anything illegal about them offering that warranty
worldwide, and I'm sure they are well aware of their obligations under
the consumer laws in New Zealand.
The stats you posted were from a *US* 3rd party organization with a
business providing extended warranty cover through *US* retail outlets, so
AS I SAID
(all caps for the hard of reading)

The Pavilions and Presarios are also the ranges where HP only offer a
one year warranty, so most likely to require the extended warranty.

victor

On 15/07/2010 6:54 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
..

> Totally WRONG they are covered by the C.G.A. No extended warranty
> needed.

Not much use to those Squaretrade customers.

And since you seem determined to make a tit of yourself yet again.

"Established in 1999, SquareTrade is a pre-IPO company located directly
above the Montgomery BART station in the heart of San Francisco's
financial district."

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/about-us-overview

victor

On 16/07/2010 4:44 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:48:05 +1200, EMB<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 15/07/2010 12:21 p.m., Suzie Wong wrote:
>>>
>>> Totally illegal you do not need a extended warranty as its covered by
>>> the C.G.A. don't you listen to the news as off late..
>>>

>>> Check some of the Gov site it list how long things should last..
>>>

>> Fundamental to all of that Woger is that a cheaper item can reasonably
>> be expected to last less time than a more expensive one. Thus a cheap
>> Pavilion with 12 months warranty is probably seen as not unreasonable
>> alongside a (expensive) Probook with 36 month warranty.
>>
>> Additionally with the business depreciation rules for computers allowing
>> 48% PA straight line depreciation it can be easily argued that 26 months
>> is a reasonable lifetime for a business laptop (likely to be a Probook
>> level machine). Extrapolate back from that and on price difference
>> alone you would be hard pressed to justify a CGA repair after much over
>> a year for a Pavilion.

> TOTTAL RUBISH.
>
>> Remember Woger, computers are a consumer items nowadays, unlike even as
>> recently as 5 years ago, and as such are effectively a throwaway if they
>> break.

> Well I have done 3 CGA claims out site warrantee dates and won , may be
> you need to take you head out of the sand.
>
> So I know what I am on about, Plus I am a very Avid GCA person, plus
> there is No way on earth that you can change my thinking.
>
> Many many products have know manufactures faults, like the HP scanner I
> had some 2 1/2 years old, had lots of hits of problems on the Web, HP
> replaced it at cost, 1/2 price, and a Hitachi Tuner Amp, found that
> fault in a Magazine, well known fault.
>
> Plus 2-3 other claims that did not go to court.
>
> Even the EU now has mandatory 2 year warrantees.
>
> There was a Case Fane that the German manufactures gave it a 6 year
> warrantee, but dealers here only 6 months.
> .
> So should we got back to the days when US companies only gave a 90Day
> warrantee?
>
> So if you sit on your hands nothing will happen.

You do realize the vendors just charge you extra high prices in NZ to
pay for the CGA.
And they still don't guarantee that they will not dispute the claim.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <i1jrd3$9es$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>The Pavilions and Presarios are also the ranges where HP only offer a
>one year warranty, so most likely to require the extended warranty

CGA. Nuff said.