Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > At the speed of light

At the speed of light

OldGringo38

If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo...hole-slingshot
Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Buffalo

OldGringo38 wrote:
> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo...hole-slingshot
> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

Of course there is!!!
Buffalo

OldGringo38

On 7/5/2010 4:53 PM Just to please that super-ego, Buffalo wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> OldGringo38 wrote:
>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
>>

> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo...hole-slingshot
>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

> Of course there is!!!
> Buffalo

LOL

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com

Whiskers

On 2010-07-05, OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo...hole-slingshot
> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

We don't see light in outer space; we see light at the back of our eyes.
Any light that is 'here' isn't anywhere else. So your question as
expressed is meaningless.

If you mean "how can we know whether or not a star whose light gets here
today is still there today?" the answer is "we can't". As far as we know
at present, information cannot travel faster than light. What we can be
certain of (for all practical purposes) is that the light started out from
such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. That's why astronomers can
claim to be able to 'see' almost all the way back to the 'Big Bang', which
must have happened a very very long time ago (if it happened).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

OldGringo38

On 7/5/2010 5:10 PM Just to please that super-ego, Whiskers wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On 2010-07-05, OldGringo38<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo...hole-slingshot
>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

> We don't see light in outer space; we see light at the back of our eyes.
> Any light that is 'here' isn't anywhere else. So your question as
> expressed is meaningless.
>
> If you mean "how can we know whether or not a star whose light gets here
> today is still there today?" the answer is "we can't". As far as we know
> at present, information cannot travel faster than light. What we can be
> certain of (for all practical purposes) is that the light started out from
> such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. That's why astronomers can
> claim to be able to 'see' almost all the way back to the 'Big Bang', which
> must have happened a very very long time ago (if it happened).

<g> I'll buy that.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com

OldGringo38

On 7/5/2010 5:10 PM Just to please that super-ego, Whiskers wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On 2010-07-05, OldGringo38<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo...hole-slingshot
>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

> We don't see light in outer space; we see light at the back of our eyes.
> Any light that is 'here' isn't anywhere else. So your question as
> expressed is meaningless.
>
> If you mean "how can we know whether or not a star whose light gets here
> today is still there today?" the answer is "we can't". As far as we know
> at present, information cannot travel faster than light. What we can be
> certain of (for all practical purposes) is that the light started out from
> such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. That's why astronomers can
> claim to be able to 'see' almost all the way back to the 'Big Bang', which
> must have happened a very very long time ago (if it happened).

<g> I'll buy that.
DFG what !
--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com

Meat Plow

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:15:11 -0500, OldGringo38 ǝʇoɹʍ:

> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo.../A-black-hole-

slingshot
> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

I leave this stuff up to the astrophysicists. All the quantum physics,
quantum mechanics and theories make my head spin.

Whiskers

On 2010-07-06, §ñühw¤£f <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>> On 2010-07-05, OldGringo38 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any

>> way
>>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
>>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo...701/A-black-ho

>> le-slingshot
>>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

>> We don't see light in outer space; we see light at the back of our
>> eyes.
>> Any light that is 'here' isn't anywhere else. So your question as
>> expressed is meaningless.
>>

> Huh? We percieve the light from an emission source in the relative time
> frame that it exists.
> We're "looking into the past" when we look at the stars

Exactly. We're looking into the past all the time - further into the past
the further away the light comes from.

>> If you mean "how can we know whether or not a star whose light gets
>> here today is still there today?" the answer is "we can't". As far as we
>> know at present, information cannot travel faster than light.

> Pleasc to be 'splainin "quantum entanglements".
>
> ^_^

I can describe it, but if anyone claims to be able to explain it I suggest
you tread with care as you back away. <http://cam.qubit.org/node/43>

>> What we can be
>> certain of (for all practical purposes) is that the light started out
>> from such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time. That's why astronomers
>> can claim to be able to 'see' almost all the way back to the 'Big Bang',
>> which must have happened a very very long time ago (if it happened).
>>

> You wernt there to appreciate the Big Singularity?
> Hmmm...

Not in this body I wasn't. But all my substance and energy was there of
course, along with yours and everything else.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

OldGringo38

On 7/6/2010 6:25 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:15:11 -0500, OldGringo38 ǝʇoɹʍ:
>
>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo.../A-black-hole-

> slingshot
>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

> I leave this stuff up to the astrophysicists. All the quantum physics,
> quantum mechanics and theories make my head spin.

I sometimes wonder how much of a crock it all is.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
http://www.NuBoy-Industries.Com

Meat Plow

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 08:23:52 -0500, OldGringo38 ǝʇoɹʍ:

> On 7/6/2010 6:25 AM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
> following tidbit of information:
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 16:15:11 -0500, OldGringo38 ǝʇoɹʍ:
>>
>>> If light travels at 5,865,696,000,000 miles a year, do we have any way
>>> of knowing if light we see in outer space is still out there?
>>> http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/Coo.../0701/A-black-

hole-
>> slingshot
>>> Were talking about 80 Bullion light years away here.

>> I leave this stuff up to the astrophysicists. All the quantum physics,
>> quantum mechanics and theories make my head spin.

> I sometimes wonder how much of a crock it all is.

I do believe that at least mathematically all these quantum theorists are
able to translate their math into language understandable by John Q
Public. I don't understand the motivation being a realist myself. But
some of it I find fascinating with the right person telling the story.