Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] New Mandates! Get 'em while they're hot!

Re: [SI] New Mandates! Get 'em while they're hot!

Robert Coe

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:07:54 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Bowser wrote:
: > First Rerun: The Pinhole Photo, Due July 18th, 2010
: > This is a looser rerun of the very first mandate, which requires the
: > shooter to flip a map upside down, stick a pin in it, and then grab a
: > shot at that location on the map. However, I've expanded the mandate
: > to "your area," which can be town, city, state, etc. Use the whole
: > earth, if you dare. Drive to Yosemite, stick a pin in a map of the
: > park, and see if need to hike to the Diving Board. And, with the new
: > rules about submissions, you can use three pins for three locations
: > and submit three photos.
:
: Here's one way to choose your map pin spot:
:
: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.h...&zoom=9&abs=-1
:
: explanation:
: http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page

I've recently been assigned to photograph all the points of interest in the
city for which I work. So I've been visiting a variety of locations, some of
them pretty obscure, that I've never seen before. For me the assignment
functions as the pin. ;^)

Bob

otter

On Jul 5, 8:21*am, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:07:54 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Bowser wrote:
>
> : > First Rerun: The Pinhole Photo, Due July 18th, 2010
> : > This is a looser rerun of the very first mandate, which requires the
> : > shooter to flip a map upside down, stick a pin in it, and then grab a
> : > shot at that location on the map. However, I've expanded the mandate
> : > to "your area," which can be town, city, state, etc. Use the whole
> : > earth, if you dare. Drive to Yosemite, stick a pin in a map of the
> : > park, and see if need to hike to the Diving Board. And, with the new
> : > rules about submissions, you can use three pins for three locations
> : > and submit three photos.
> :
> : Here's one way to choose your map pin spot:
> :
> :http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.h...&lat=37&long=-...
> :
> : explanation:
> :http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page
>
> I've recently been assigned to photograph all the points of interest in the
> city for which I work. So I've been visiting a variety of locations, some of
> them pretty obscure, that I've never seen before. For me the assignment
> functions as the pin. *;^)
>
> Bob

Tthat is a liberal interpretation of the mandate.

Those are points of "interest", not random points. I think the point
of the mandate is to try to take interesting pictures at uninteresting
(random) locations.

Robert Coe

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 06:35:57 -0700 (PDT), otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On Jul 5, 8:21*am, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:07:54 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > : Bowser wrote:
: >
: > : > First Rerun: The Pinhole Photo, Due July 18th, 2010
: > : > This is a looser rerun of the very first mandate, which requires the
: > : > shooter to flip a map upside down, stick a pin in it, and then grab a
: > : > shot at that location on the map. However, I've expanded the mandate
: > : > to "your area," which can be town, city, state, etc. Use the whole
: > : > earth, if you dare. Drive to Yosemite, stick a pin in a map of the
: > : > park, and see if need to hike to the Diving Board. And, with the new
: > : > rules about submissions, you can use three pins for three locations
: > : > and submit three photos.
: > :
[...]

A few observations on that:

- Some of those "points of interest" are not, in themselves, particularly
interesting. The challenge is to go there and find a shot that makes the site
as interesting as it can be. Whether the site was chosen at random or by some
other method that's effectively beyond the photographer's control is not that
relevant, arguably.

- By their nature, SI mandates favor those in the group who are retired or
otherwise blessed with a lot of free time over those of us who are not. In my
case it's often find a way to incorporate the mandate into my normal
activities or sit this month out. And I have sat out several mandates because
I simply didn't have the time to get involved in a type of photography that I
normally don't do.

- An overly narrow interpretation of the mandate lessens participation and
reduces everyne's enjoyment of the process. I'd claim that the recent
Wallpaper mandate is a case in point. While some very nice pictures were
submitted, participation was much lower than I would have anticipated, with
several highly competent regulars absent. I suspect that two factors were
primarily to blame: (1) The required aspect ratio accommodated a screen shape
that many of us rarely see, forcing us to omit or modify pictures that we were
actually using as wallpapers; and (2) Several people had weighed in with their
idiosyncratic opinions on what constituted a good (or even acceptable)
wallpaper, effectively narrowing the mandate and practically assuring that
some entries would be dismissed or ridiculed for not meeting those criteria.

The Shoot-In's strength is its inclusiveness, and the point of a mandate
shouldn't be to exclude those who have trouble meeting it. Rather it should be
to challenge participants to take a broader view of their photographic
horizons and to use the mandate to see their work in a different light. I
think Bowser understands that and usually allows a broad interpretation of the
mandates he issues. I believe the only time I've ever seen him reject a
picture was when it was too big.

Bob

tony cooper

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:59:31 -0400, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 06:35:57 -0700 (PDT), otter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: On Jul 5, 8:21*am, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: > On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:07:54 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: > : Bowser wrote:
>: >
>: > : > First Rerun: The Pinhole Photo, Due July 18th, 2010
>: > : > This is a looser rerun of the very first mandate, which requires the
>: > : > shooter to flip a map upside down, stick a pin in it, and then grab a
>: > : > shot at that location on the map. However, I've expanded the mandate
>: > : > to "your area," which can be town, city, state, etc. Use the whole
>: > : > earth, if you dare. Drive to Yosemite, stick a pin in a map of the
>: > : > park, and see if need to hike to the Diving Board. And, with the new
>: > : > rules about submissions, you can use three pins for three locations
>: > : > and submit three photos.
>: > :
>: > : Here's one way to choose your map pin spot:
>: > :
>: > :http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.h...&lat=37&long=-...
>: > :
>: > : explanation:
>: > :http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page
>: >
>: > I've recently been assigned to photograph all the points of interest in the
>: > city for which I work. So I've been visiting a variety of locations, some of
>: > them pretty obscure, that I've never seen before. For me the assignment
>: > functions as the pin. *;^)
>:
>: That is a liberal interpretation of the mandate.
>:
>: Those are points of "interest", not random points. I think the point
>: of the mandate is to try to take interesting pictures at uninteresting
>: (random) locations.
>
>A few observations on that:
>
>- Some of those "points of interest" are not, in themselves, particularly
>interesting. The challenge is to go there and find a shot that makes the site
>as interesting as it can be. Whether the site was chosen at random or by some
>other method that's effectively beyond the photographer's control is not that
>relevant, arguably.
>
>- By their nature, SI mandates favor those in the group who are retired or
>otherwise blessed with a lot of free time over those of us who are not. In my
>case it's often find a way to incorporate the mandate into my normal
>activities or sit this month out. And I have sat out several mandates because
>I simply didn't have the time to get involved in a type of photography that I
>normally don't do.
>
>- An overly narrow interpretation of the mandate lessens participation and
>reduces everyne's enjoyment of the process.

I'm witchoo. While I am one of those privileged retirees, I think we
should take the mandates as a guideline for submissions. Do something
in the spirit of the mandate, but let's not get all rigid.

I am somewhat disposed to the requirement of a "fresh shot", rather
than pulling something out of the vault, but even that should not be a
rigid requirement. The objective, in my opinion, is to get people to
take new photographs, show what they can do with photography, and
benefit from the opinion of others. Two out of three is fine with me.

If there is one area that I'd like to see given more attention it's
comments. Too often it is only a certain group of people that comment
on the photos. I'd like to see more people do that. If you submit
photos, then you should be willing to submit your comments on the work
of others. If you don't submit photos, then you can still offer
comments as long as they are not the "They're all crap" type of
comment we see from Vance and the man with a thousand names and no
credibility as a photographer.

I'll stick a pin and try something, but a pin stuck in a map of this
area is likely to wind up in a lake, a swamp, or a ticky-tacky housing
development. I'll probably expand the radius of the pin position.

I have one shot already that was in a quarter mile of the pin. The
actual pin would have put me in an area where I would either be mugged
or arrested for attempting to buy drugs. I may re-stick.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Peter

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:59:31 -04

> I have one shot already that was in a quarter mile of the pin. The
> actual pin would have put me in an area where I would either be mugged
> or arrested for attempting to buy drugs. I may re-stick.

I'm sure that was an unintended pun.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:04:50 -0400, "Peter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:59:31 -04

>> I have one shot already that was in a quarter mile of the pin. The
>> actual pin would have put me in an area where I would either be mugged
>> or arrested for attempting to buy drugs. I may re-stick.
>>

>I'm sure that was an unintended pun.

I won't fall for that line. You're just trying to needle me.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:34:14 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-07-05 10:21:59 -0700, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:04:50 -0400, "Peter"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I'm sure that was an unintended pun.

>> I won't fall for that line. You're just trying to needle me.

>Stuck up pricks!

We should end this discussion. It will never be a mainline thread.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:25:53 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-07-05 13:14:29 -0700, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:34:14 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Stuck up pricks!

>> We should end this discussion. It will never be a mainline thread.

>Consider the wound stitched up.

You're just blowing smoke.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2010-07-05, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-07-05 13:14:29 -0700, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:34:14 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Stuck up pricks!

>> We should end this discussion. It will never be a mainline thread.

> Consider the wound stitched up.

Suture self.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================

otter

On Jul 5, 9:59*am, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
> that many of us rarely see, forcing us to omit or modify pictures that we were
> actually using as wallpapers; and (2) Several people had weighed in with their
> idiosyncratic opinions on what constituted a good (or even acceptable)
> wallpaper, effectively narrowing the mandate and practically assuring that
> some entries would be dismissed or ridiculed for not meeting those criteria.
>
> The Shoot-In's strength is its inclusiveness, and the point of a mandate
> shouldn't be to exclude those who have trouble meeting it. Rather it should be
> to challenge participants to take a broader view of their photographic
> horizons and to use the mandate to see their work in a different light. I
> think Bowser understands that and usually allows a broad interpretation of the
> mandates he issues. I believe the only time I've ever seen him reject a

I don't mean to be judgemental, but do you guys golf or fish?

Since it is not any kind of real competition, I won't raise any more
stink. But maybe people should indicate how closely they followed the
rules when they submit.

As for someone saying the pin would have put them in a bad
neighborhood, hey at least there might have been something interesting
to shoot there. Better than the housing development or empty field
that I ended up with. But maybe I should just keep sticking more
pins.

While deploying application on AIX I got this error. while it's working fine on windows Sam Java 0 06-21-2006 06:26 AM
while loop in a while loop Steven Java 5 03-30-2005 09:19 PM
Help while error "Error while trying to run project:" David ASP .Net 1 07-19-2004 08:41 PM
Got error msg while Debugging : Error while trying to run project: ... ^CrazyCoder^ ASP .Net 3 09-15-2003 09:40 AM

Advertisments