Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: There's an app for that: NNTP news reader for Android

Re: There's an app for that: NNTP news reader for Android

Rich

On Jul 4, 9:55*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Groundhog Usenet Reader --
> remarkably capable and usable even though it's free
> Features:
> ** International charset support
> ** Online/Offline modes
> ** Colors for quoting
> ** MIME/uuencoded attachments
> ** Threading
> ** Starring and banning of authors & threads
> ** Notifications
> Recommended!

Does the iPhone not have one? Is it something Apple can't control so
they banned it?

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Groundhog Usenet Reader --

> Does the iPhone not have one? Is it something Apple can't control so
> they banned it?

the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
doesn't control what people do with iphones.

John McWilliams

Rich wrote:
> On Jul 4, 9:55 am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Groundhog Usenet Reader --
>> remarkably capable and usable even though it's free
>> Features:
>> * International charset support
>> * Online/Offline modes
>> * Colors for quoting
>> * MIME/uuencoded attachments
>> * Threading
>> * Starring and banning of authors & threads
>> * Notifications
>> Recommended!

> Does the iPhone not have one? Is it something Apple can't control so
> they banned it?

There's an app for that.

--
lsmft

Rich

On Jul 4, 7:06*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Groundhog Usenet Reader --

> > Does the iPhone not have one? *Is it something Apple can't control so
> > they banned it?

> the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
> doesn't control what people do with iphones.

Just with the iPad then?

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Does the iPhone not have one? *Is it something Apple can't control so
> > > they banned it?

> > the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
> > doesn't control what people do with iphones.

> Just with the iPad then?

nope. apple doesn't control what users do with any apple product.

nospam

In article <4c31255d$(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
> > doesn't control what people do with iphones.

> just what they can install

nope.

they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).

and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.

nospam

In article <4c313dce$(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> just what they can install

> > nope.
> >
> > they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
> > deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
> > users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
> > web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
> > iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).
> >
> > and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
> > single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
> > apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.

> you really need to read and understand the current restrictive EULA from
> Apple

i have read it.

it seems you need to read it, and also learn about how iphone apps are
developed and deployed.

and you are completely ignoring microsoft, who essentially has the same
restrictions. why is it ok for them but not apple?

> doing ANYTHING that is not approved by them is not only leaving yourself
> open to litigation but they can point blank refuse to service or repair your
> shitty iPhone as well.

nonsense. where do people come up with this stuff? open to litigation
for what?

yes they can refuse to repair a jailbroken phone under warranty, but
that's no different than if you made an unauthorized modification to
any other product. it's also possible to just restore stock firmware
and wipe all traces of jailbrokeness.

modify a nikon or canon camera and see how well that works out for you.
remove the infrared cut filter and they will no longer warrant it,
although the company that made the infrared mod might. if you did it
yourself and something breaks, bummer.

adjust the autofocus calibration then send it in to 'fix it' after you
screw it up, see how well *that* works out.

even something as minor as using a third party battery can void a
warranty (read the agreement), although it may be impossible to
determine unless the camera explodes with parts of the third party
battery melted inside. canon even displayed non-canon batteries at
trade shows to show how dangerous it could be (and to sell their
batteries).

> using un-approved apps on the phone is one of those restrictions, sure, you
> may be able to install it but doing so voids your warranty and can cost you
> big dollars in legal costs if Apple decides to be petulant, and its not like
> they have been above that in the past.

complete nonsense.

there are legitimate methods of installing apps that are not submitted
to the apps store, including remote deployment for enterprise as well
as web apps, some of which can remain resident on the device and not
need the web to be used.

jailbreaking does void the warranty, but there are no legal costs
unless you do something stupid to justify it, and jailbreaking isn't
one of them.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:

>> > nope.
>> >
>> > they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
>> > deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
>> > users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
>> > web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
>> > iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).
>> >
>> > and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
>> > single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
>> > apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.

>> you really need to read and understand the current restrictive EULA from
>> Apple

> i have read it.
>
> it seems you need to read it, and also learn about how iphone apps are
> developed and deployed.
>
> and you are completely ignoring microsoft, who essentially has the same
> restrictions. why is it ok for them but not apple?

It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
company.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://photos.cfaj.ca>
Author: =======================

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris F.A. Johnson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
> company.

your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
useful software, some of which has no replacement.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris F.A. Johnson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
>> company.

> your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
> useful software, some of which has no replacement.

There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
system.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>