Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Google entry page in HTML5 (sort of)

Google entry page in HTML5 (sort of)

cwdjrxyz

The main Google entry page at http:www.google.com changes from day to
day depending on the top page image used, etc. However it is fairly
short and uncluttered compared to many major organization web pages.
To be specific, I thus will refer to the July 4, 2010, page.

If you take the page to the w3c html validator, it gets validated as
html5. However even for this short page, there are 37 validation
errors. Most of these errors would also be errors in html 4. The code
looks like something out of the 90s. But it gets worse. If you try to
validate at w3c as css, you find that no style sheet is found. However
it does complain about 4 XML links.

There is much to be admired about some of the things Google does.
However I consider the code on their entry page a mess, one of the
worst I have seen on a major organization page. I also wonder why they
use javascript. Is this one of those rare cases where server side
script such as php will not work.

cwdjrxyz

On Jul 4, 1:41*pm, cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The main Google entry page at http:www.google.comchanges from day to
> day depending on the top page image used, etc. However it is fairly
> short and uncluttered compared to many major organization web pages.
> To be specific, I thus will refer to the July 4, 2010, page.
>
> If you take the page to the w3c html validator, it gets validated as
> html5. However even for this short page, there are 37 validation
> errors. Most of these errors would also be errors in html 4. The code
> looks like something out of the 90s. But it gets worse. If you try to
> validate at w3c as css, you find that no style sheet is found. However
> it does complain about 4 XML links.
>
> There is much to be admired about some of the things Google does.
> However I consider the code on their entry page a mess, one of the
> worst I have seen on a major organization page. I also wonder why they
> use javascript. Is this one of those rare cases where server side
> script such as php will not work.

Make that http://www.google.com .

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

cwdjrxyz wrote:

> .. I also wonder why they use javascript. Is this one of those rare
> cases where server side script such as php will not work.

The JavaScript is what drives all those 'suggestions' in the dropdown as
you type into the search text box. The results may/do change with every
letter you type. It would be hard to do that server-side.

You wouldn't see the suggestions if you have JavaScript disabled.

Re 90s code: it's all compressed - and yes, that makes it extremely
hard to follow.

--
-bts

Does anyone have a browser that will view this html5 page properly? cwdjrxyz HTML 11 10-01-2010 07:59 AM
html5 vs xhtml2 Robert Jones HTML 16 12-14-2007 11:34 PM
Allowing entry of a Carriage Return during data entry Mike Owen ASP .Net Web Controls 3 07-27-2006 02:34 PM
Form field entry directs to diff URLs based on entry? AtomicBob HTML 14 05-02-2006 07:07 AM
Form entry to Time part of database Date entry? Noozer Javascript 2 08-01-2005 08:10 PM

Advertisments