Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: No emission multifunction?

Re: No emission multifunction?

VanguardLH

Jane Galt wrote:

> I have a Canon MF3240 and have been getting sick when it prints a lot of
> pages, despite arranging the room and air cleaner to minimize the emissions
> that I have to breathe.
>
> I emailed Canon about it and they just deny everything. BS.
>
> http://www.inspiredliving.com/airpur...aser-printers-
> airpollution.htm
>
> So does anyone know a multifunction ( I need at least a workhorse laser
> printer and flatbed scanner ) that has no emissions?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer.htm
Section 2: Static Electricity

Notice that the carbon is statically attracted to the paper. Well, just
like spray painting of cars, not all the mist happens to settle on the
target. You'll notice that the folks doing the spraying always wear
masks (and usually not the cheap cloth filter ones you buy for a couple
bucks in a multi-pack). Unless you want to wear a purifier mask, you
could try putting the laser printer inside a sound-proof housing that
has filters on its exhaust ports (and uses a fan on an intake port to
ensure the heat gets exhausted through the filter).

You say that you get sick WHILE using the laser printer. The effects of
carbon particle emission and its pollution is accumulative and would not
effect you immediately. If you got sick, you would REMAIN sick due to
lung disease. Perhaps to what you are sensitive are the ions generated
by the corona wire; however, it is just as likely that your air purifier
is also generating ionic emission. Ions can irritate the throat and
lungs. It is a gimmick to make airborne particles stick together and by
their combined weight will drop onto your carpet, beds, and furniture
(where they get raised again when you walk or use them). It is also a
gimmick to trick your nostrils into thinking the air is fresher because
of the smell. You never mentioned WHICH air purifier you use. If it
has an ionic cleaning function that can be turned off then turn it off,
or it is just one of those crappy ion sticks that only uses ionic flow
then just leave it completely off when you're around.

You use your air purifier while using your laser printer. There are now
2 possible sources of pollution. If you were getting sick from the
"second-hand smoke" of non-captured carbon particles during the static
phase of the laser printer, you would be sick and stay sick. It
wouldn't come and go to be present only when you happened to use the
laser printer. Miners that get coal lung don't just get sick when they
happen to enter the mine. Looks like your "solution" is making you
sick. Likely is that your purifier generates the ions that irritate
your throat or lungs.

Ozone is a powerful lung irritant. It is possible the air cleaner you
use is generating the emissions that are making you sick. Many air
cleaners end up causing more problems than they solve, especially any
that produce ions.

VanguardLH

Jane Galt wrote:

> VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>> Jane Galt wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Canon MF3240 and have been getting sick when it prints a lot
>>> of pages, despite arranging the room and air cleaner to minimize the
>>> emissions that I have to breathe.
>>>
>>> I emailed Canon about it and they just deny everything. BS.
>>>
>>> http://www.inspiredliving.com/airpur...aser-printers-
>>> airpollution.htm
>>>
>>> So does anyone know a multifunction ( I need at least a workhorse laser
>>> printer and flatbed scanner ) that has no emissions?

>> http://www.howstuffworks.com/laser-printer.htm
>> Section 2: Static Electricity
>>
>> Notice that the carbon is statically attracted to the paper. Well, just
>> like spray painting of cars, not all the mist happens to settle on the
>> target. You'll notice that the folks doing the spraying always wear
>> masks (and usually not the cheap cloth filter ones you buy for a couple
>> bucks in a multi-pack). Unless you want to wear a purifier mask, you
>> could try putting the laser printer inside a sound-proof housing that
>> has filters on its exhaust ports (and uses a fan on an intake port to
>> ensure the heat gets exhausted through the filter).

>> You say that you get sick WHILE using the laser printer. The effects of
>> carbon particle emission and its pollution is accumulative and would not
>> effect you immediately.

> It has something to do with the heated fumes from the toner. They make me
> cough for awhile after, several hours. So it may not be particles but may
> be something from the toner being heated, causing gases?
>
>> If you got sick, you would REMAIN sick due to
>> lung disease. Perhaps to what you are sensitive are the ions generated
>> by the corona wire; however, it is just as likely that your air purifier
>> is also generating ionic emission.

> Nope, Austin HM400 with HEPA and 17 lbs of carbon.
>
> But some of these articles appear to be saying that there are some printers
> that have no emissions. If that's true, I'm looking for a multifunction
> that doesnt.

Not with laser printers. You have the corona wire that creates ions.
You have the carbon dust which may not all settle on the paper. And you
have the glue in the toner that gets heated to affix the carbon to the
paper. Have you looked around at a printer sound-proofing cabinet where
you can put inside your laser printer? Without any circulation, the
fumes would stay inside but you would have to monitor the air
temperature inside to ensure it was within operating range for the laser
printer. Of course, when you go to open the cabinet to remove your
paper, you'll inhale the fumes unless you are wearing a mask. Of
course, you could use something like a dryer vent. The cabinet has an
intake of fresh air (from the room) but the exhaust gets vented outside.

Considering how laser printers work, there will be emissions. So it's a
question of how you will manage them, like exhausting them to the
outside. I haven't bothered to investigate if there are emissions from
inkjet printers which do not rely on a static charge to pull the ink to
the paper or use heat to affix it to the paper. Of course, there is
solvent in the inks for an inkjet printer which would be on the paper
hence why it takes time for the ink to dry on the paper.

Other than encapsulating the printer with an enclosure that exhausts the
emissions from a laser printer (carbon dust, ions, or thermal glue) or
from an inkjet printer (ink solvent), and which is how such emissions
are probably handled in environments that are super-sensitive to such
pollutants, it seems you're stuck with having to wear a full-face filter
mask (covers both eyes, nose, and mouth). I don't recall every seeing a
100% sealed printer whether laser or inkjet. As a matter of fact, the
heated paper with the carbon will have the solvent for the thermal glue
and the printed paper ejected by an inkjet printer will have the solvent
used for its ink. They will both have a smell simply because of the
solvents present on the ejected paper that you want to produce with the
printing.

Building a printer enclosure yourself wouldn't be very difficult. Some
plywood, plexiglass, hinges, screws, and rubber gaskets would work along
with an intake fan. You can get vinyl dryer vent hoses (rather than use
the metal tubes). Putting in the dryer vent in the wall of your house
would be the hard part; however, you could simply use some plywood,
drill a hole, attach the dryer hose to it, and lift a window and let it
sit down on the plywood (with is wide enough to fit the window) to
exhaust the fumes that way, similar to how a window fan fits in the
window frame. You're still stuck, however, with the fumes emitted by
the printing on the paper with the printing that want generated. Of
course, you could leave the paper sitting in the output tray for many
minutes to let dry the thermal glue or inkjet solvents and get exhausted
to the outside.

Whiskers

On 2010-07-05, Jane Galt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> Ok, well what about inkjets then? Are they up to the same kinds of speeds
> that lasers are? Like 20PPM and just as stable ink? Do they come in
> "workhorse" type multifunctions for SOHO where someone could print a few
> thousand pages a month without trashing them fast?

Inkjets work out very expensive to run, and you'd have to shop around to
find which ones use ink that dries 'waterproof'. If you have trouble with
fumes from laser-printer toners, you'd probably have trouble with the
solvent fumes from non-water-based inkjet ink.

It sounds as though you print enough to justify a 'printer room' with its
own extractor fan (down-wind from the air intake for the room you work
in). But a 'printer cabinet' as already described would be almost as
effective. There used to be commercial models, back when impact printers
were the norm, so you might be find one that could be converted to vent
the fumes outdoors - you might want to strip out the sound insulation, in
case it isn't fire-resistant and to prevent it from accumulating whatever
it is you're reacting to.

Modern furnishings often 'outgas' unpleasant stuff from synthetic
materials, which may be part of your problem. Ventilation is the obvious
answer, and leafy house-plants can help too - search the web for

Houseplants That Clean the Air

for suggestions. NASA have done some useful research in this area.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Meat Plow

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 18:41:31 -0500, VanguardLH ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Not with laser printers. You have the corona wire that creates ions.
> You have the carbon dust which may not all settle on the paper. And you
> have the glue in the toner that gets heated to affix the carbon to the
> paper. Have you looked around at a printer sound-proofing cabinet where
> you can put inside your laser printer? Without any circulation, the
> fumes would stay inside but you would have to monitor the air
> temperature inside to ensure it was within operating range for the laser
> printer.

You can't close up a laser printer.

Meat Plow

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 22:18:31 -0500, Jane Galt ǝʇoɹʍ:

> VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

>> Not with laser printers. You have the corona wire that creates ions.
>> You have the carbon dust which may not all settle on the paper. And
>> you have the glue in the toner that gets heated to affix the carbon to
>> the paper. Have you looked around at a printer sound-proofing cabinet
>> where you can put inside your laser printer? Without any circulation,
>> the fumes would stay inside but you would have to monitor the air
>> temperature inside to ensure it was within operating range for the
>> laser printer. Of course, when you go to open the cabinet to remove
>> your paper, you'll inhale the fumes unless you are wearing a mask. Of
>> course, you could use something like a dryer vent. The cabinet has an
>> intake of fresh air (from the room) but the exhaust gets vented
>> outside.

> Ok, well what about inkjets then? Are they up to the same kinds of
> speeds that lasers are? Like 20PPM and just as stable ink? Do they come
> in "workhorse" type multifunctions for SOHO where someone could print a
> few thousand pages a month without trashing them fast?

You may find a business class inkjet but you're probably allergic to the
fumes the ink makes as it dries on the paper. Injkjets have too many
moving parts to stand up to a lot of usage, the ink is expensive, and the
way printing is done is a lot slower than laser.

A better solution would be to build a separate printing/copying room with
an exhaust fan and air filtration. Maybe even a HAZMAT suit?

Meat Plow

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 00:31:58 -0500, Jane Galt ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Jane Galt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

>> Ok, well what about inkjets then? Are they up to the same kinds of
>> speeds that lasers are? Like 20PPM and just as stable ink? Do they come
>> in "workhorse" type multifunctions for SOHO where someone could print a
>> few thousand pages a month without trashing them fast?
>>

> Jeez, doing some looking around. Inkjets only get 300 pages from a
> cartridge?
>
> Whoa!

http://www.globalnerdy.com/wordpress...azmat_suit.jpg

VanguardLH

Jane Galt wrote:

> Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>> On 2010-07-05, Jane Galt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Ok, well what about inkjets then? Are they up to the same kinds of speeds
>>> that lasers are? Like 20PPM and just as stable ink? Do they come in
>>> "workhorse" type multifunctions for SOHO where someone could print a few
>>> thousand pages a month without trashing them fast?

>> Inkjets work out very expensive to run, and you'd have to shop around to
>> find which ones use ink that dries 'waterproof'. If you have trouble with
>> fumes from laser-printer toners, you'd probably have trouble with the
>> solvent fumes from non-water-based inkjet ink.
>>
>> It sounds as though you print enough to justify a 'printer room' with its
>> own extractor fan (down-wind from the air intake for the room you work
>> in). But a 'printer cabinet' as already described would be almost as
>> effective. There used to be commercial models, back when impact printers
>> were the norm, so you might be find one that could be converted to vent
>> the fumes outdoors - you might want to strip out the sound insulation, in
>> case it isn't fire-resistant and to prevent it from accumulating whatever
>> it is you're reacting to.
>>
>> Modern furnishings often 'outgas' unpleasant stuff from synthetic
>> materials, which may be part of your problem. Ventilation is the obvious
>> answer, and leafy house-plants can help too - search the web for

> That's actually why we have the three HM400's in the house. They work very
> well for most things, but it appears that having a laser printer in the house
> is like having someone smoking.

Carbon-impregnated filters are not going to remove solvents from the
air. They remove particulates over a certain size. That's why it has
been suggested that you enclose the offending source and exhaust the air
to the outside.

You mentioned using a HEPA air purifier. And how is that going to
remove *smells* from the air? HEPA removes particulates. Read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA

These filters, ionic, and other types remove particles from the air.
They do NOT remove gases anymore than they would remove oxygen (which
obviously would have you suffocate). The activated charcoal attempts to
absorb some gases (and why you eventually have to replace the filter to
get new activated charcoal/carbon that hasn't reacted yet besides
replacing the dirty paper portion with all the particles stuck in it)
but it isn't going to react with every gas.

Spray a rag with brake cleaner. Put it on the intake side of your HEPA
filter. You really think you aren't going to smell the brake cleaner's
solvent (variable composition of heptane, toluene, xylene, isopropyl
alcohol, acetone, naptha, propane, and [ethyl]benzene)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

If the fouling gas doesn't react with the carbon, there's no bond so it
doesn't get trapped. Also, since we aren't talking about pressurized
air filtration systems, a lot of solvents just aren't going to get
absorbed.

Also, an air purifier that is moving the air around in a room is not
taking in air from a separate source and exhausting it only into a
different room. That same purifier is moving ALL the air around in the
room. A smell that might reside only around the printer while it was
being used and is far away from you will have that small moved all over
the room by the air flow through the purifier. Moving the air around
doesn't have all the air move only through the purifier. If someone
farts in a corner and you're in the opposite corner of the room, they
might get away with the act. But put a fan, or even an air purifier, in
the room that is moving all the air around and it'll just be a few
seconds before you realize the nasty deed. You aren't taking just
cleaned air and moving it around. Just look at the example they use for
the Oreck air filter. They dust up a chamber and show how fast the
stuff gets removed. However, if YOU are inside that chamber and the
dust was added on one side, it'll be everywhere during the cleaning
cycle including you on the other side of the chamber until the air has
been cycled several times through the filter. You'll be suffering in
the interim until the air gets cleaned. A cleanroom doesn't use a room
filter. It introduces the cleaned air into the room, not try to move
around the filth hoping to clean it up before it contaminates something.
You have to make sure the contaminants don't get introduced into the
cleanroom so that removing any that occur is quick. No cleanroom is
going to plop a room purifier in the middle of the cleanroom and expect
there to be no contaminants during the cleaning cycle.

It'll be awhile AFTER you do your printing before the polluted air has
reached your air purifier and before that same volume of air has been
cycled enough times through the filter to get rid of the contaminants.
Room purifiers are nice for when you enter a room where its air has been
cleaned. It will NOT get rid of gases and odors that you currently
being generated until some time has elapsed to actually process the
entire room's volume of air through the filter and probably more than
once. If you don't want to smell the printer odor, you're going to have
to exhaust it outside or into its own air purifier intake. That doesn't
mean putting the purifier next to the printer. That means putting the
printer inside its own cabinet, having an intake port, and making sure
that there is negative pressure inside due to the forced exhaust of the
cabinet's air into the outside (or into a purifier if you're going to
dump the exhausted air back into your room).

Do you have one of these filters in your kitchen? When you cook fish,
is there absolutely no smell of the cooking odors? Yes, of course there
is. It will be sometime before that room filter cycles enough of the
air volume and enough repeats before that fish smell is gone. Why would
you expect any different for gases effused from your printer? It's
going to take time to filter out the unwanted smell assuming that the
gas is a type that will react with carbon (since the paper filtering is
obviously never going to block the smell).

VanguardLH

Jane Galt wrote:

> And I cant afford to build a vent right over it, so I guess I can just
> leave the room for 5 minutes when it prints a lot of sheets and let it get
> cleaned up by the filter.

I'll assume that it's not your house so cutting a hole through the wall
to put in a dryer vent is not an option. Dryer vents are cheap but I
presumed that you already had the tools to cut the hole through the
siding and interior wall.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...l-a-dryer-vent

Any good at nailing wood planks together or gluing and screwing plywood?
Build a cabinet for the printer with a common computer fan for exhaust
and put the exhaust port right next to the intake of your air purifier.
As another poster mentioned, you could use a sound-deadening cabinet (a
used one to stay on the cheap) and use a hole saw to add an exhaust
port.

A printer cabinet doesn't have to be anything fancy. If the printer
fits, you could use an old metal filing cabinet and some silicon to
fashion the gasket seals. Then use a tin snips for intake and exhaust
ports. Screw on a 80mm fan (any computer store has them for cheap) at
the height where your air filter takes in air, or put the air filter in
the other filing cabinet's drawer (for a 2-drawer unit). There are lot
of box structures you could fashion as a "printer cabinet". You might
even already have a desk with a filing drawer where within the printer
would fit and you could hang a small good air filter (so you don't get a
blast of smell when you open the filing drawer).

How about just buying some plexiglass and gluing it together in a box?
The home shop will probably cut it for you to the sizes you need for all
sides of the clear box. Make it big enough to put the printer inside
along with a small but good air filter. It doesn't even have to be a
full box: just the top and sides. Leave off the bottom so you can just
lift the box to get at your printouts (or use a piano hinge to make a
door you lift up. Heck, you could just use a cardboard box for now that
fits over the printer and air filter. You'll probably want to watch the
temperature inside to determine if you need to vent in fresh air (from
the room) and exhaust it out after going through the air filter.

Got a closet? Got a good air purifier that you could put in the closet
along with the printer? It's only cleaning the air inside the closet so
you don't need a huge capacity air purifier but will need one which the
active carbon to remove the gases/smells produced by the printer. I
wouldn't recommend leaving any clothes in that closet since the odor
might get into them (and no air filter can suck out the smell once
trapped in fabrics).

OldGringo38

On 7/6/2010 12:11 AM Just to please that super-ego, Jane Galt wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> [...]

>> door you lift up. Heck, you could just use a cardboard box for now that
>> fits over the printer and air filter. You'll probably want to watch the
>> temperature inside to determine if you need to vent in fresh air (from
>> the room) and exhaust it out after going through the air filter.
>>
>> Got a closet? Got a good air purifier that you could put in the closet
>> along with the printer? It's only cleaning the air inside the closet so
>> you don't need a huge capacity air purifier but will need one which the
>> active carbon to remove the gases/smells produced by the printer. I
>> wouldn't recommend leaving any clothes in that closet since the odor
>> might get into them (and no air filter can suck out the smell once
>> trapped in fabrics).

> These are all interesting options to consider and I thank you for taking

Jane; try one of these and you can put it in the garage or out on the patio:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CD4QrQQwAA

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

OldGringo38

On 7/6/2010 5:49 PM Just to please that super-ego, Jane Galt wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> OldGringo38<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>> On 7/6/2010 12:11 AM Just to please that super-ego, Jane Galt wrote the
>> following tidbit of information:

>>> It is my house but the printer is on an office desk in the middle of
>>> the room, so I'd have to bring down a kitchen style hood over it ( or
>>> build a cabinet around it with a vent hood on top ) and have a fan in
>>> it wired to go on every time the printer runs, and maybe for a minute
>>> after. And that may not be so great when I'm on the phone for a
>>> business call.

>>> These are all interesting options to consider and I thank you for
>>> taking the time to detail them out like that.
>>>

>> Jane; try one of these and you can put it in the garage or out on the
>> patio:
>> http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...r+printer&um=1
>> &ie=UTF-8&ei=BL0yTNDNDoeglAfkkK2_Cw&sa=X&oi=product_result _group&ct=title
>> &resnum=1&ved=0CD4QrQQwAA
>>

> Or under the vent hood in the kitchen, on the stovetop. LOL

I'm sure there is a solution to your situation, just got to find the
right one. Clinton Valley Center could have been one.