Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: WinXP Pro preferred default search option in Windows Explorer

Re: WinXP Pro preferred default search option in Windows Explorer

VanguardLH

Richard Owlett wrote:

> Due to massive hardware failure I have moved from WinXP Pro SP2
> which had updated in several steps from Win98. As a user, I've
> gone thru Win 3.1, Win95, WinXP (original dist, SP1, SP2).
>
> I've gotten used to a specific way of looking for files. I search
> by file name (or portion) >>99% of the time.
>
> The default search behavior of WinXP *AS INSTALLED* is to bring
> up a overly sophisticated search scheme dependent on a bunch of
> indexes. To get the search method I wish, I must manually click
> on "Click here to use Search Companion".
>
> I wish to *ALWAYS* use that. How can I tell WinXP to go there
> anytime I click on any search in Windows Explorer?
>
> TIA

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...arch+companion

VanguardLH

Richard Owlett wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> I've gotten used to a specific way of looking for files. I search
>>> by file name (or portion)>>99% of the time. The default search behavior of WinXP *AS INSTALLED* is to bring
>>> up a overly sophisticated search scheme dependent on a bunch of
>>> indexes. To get the search method I wish, I must manually click
>>> on "Click here to use Search Companion".
>>>
>>> I wish to *ALWAYS* use that. How can I tell WinXP to go there
>>> anytime I click on any search in Windows Explorer?
>>>
>>> TIA

>> http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...arch+companion

> I am an active proponent of "Google it".
> But Google isn't cure-all ;/
>
> I had started by using WinXP's "Help" - there's a double entendre
> in the quote's ;/
>
> I should have - but didn't - Google.
> I used your search terms as a starting point and then did a half
> dozen variations. I found nothing useful.
>
> Comparing articles written ~2001 with current installed system, I
> suspect the term "Search Companion" has inverted its meaning.
> Then it meant *use* indexing.
> Now means do *NOT* use indexing.
>
> Thank you. Any other ideas?

Search companion is the search interface. It is separate of the old
(included) file indexing service included in Windows XP. Perhaps what
you are thinking of as the "new" indexed search is Windows Search (used
to be called Desktop Search). While it is included in the install of
Vista and later, you have to go download it and install it for Windows
XP.

Also, the search mechanism of the search companion (with or without the
cutsy character) was changed in Windows XP. In prior versions of
Windows, a search meant to find any file that matched on the specified
search criteria. In Windows XP, Microsoft ****ed up the search by only
finding files for which there was defined a handler to view that file.
That means you could open a command shell and do a 'dir' listing to see
the existance of a file that the search couldn't find because it was an
unknown filetype. Oh great. To get rid of that stupidity, I replaced
the search included in Windows with Agent Ransack (the freeware version
of File Locator).

Get Microsoft's TweakUI powertoy for Windows XP (there are other means
or instructions on how to change the following settings but TweakUI
makes it easy). Under the Explorer node, there are 2 settings which
will revert to the "classic" search companion interface that you are
probably used to:

Use Classic Search in [Windows] Explorer
Use Classic Search in Internet Explorer

If you enable those options, you revert to the old or classic search
interface. Because the options are separate, you can choose which to
use in which application. I use classic search in Windows Explorer
while I use the newer companion interface in Internet Explorer.
However, for doing typical file search on my host, I use Agent Ransack
to eliminate Windows from skipping files in its search for which no
handler is assigned. I'm not specifically trying to open the files to
look at their contents when I just want to search on them by filename.

If you don't want the included indexing service running, you can
configure it in the Services applet (services.msc) to disable it, or you
can use the Search Companion panel (when shown in the Explorer Bar) in
Windows Explorer by clicking on the chevron after "Search Options" and
then clicking on the "Indexing Service" link. Unless you are extremely
messly in your [lack of hierarchical] organization of your files, are
very forgetful, or share your drives with others so you haven't clue
what might be on them at any time, there is almost no need for a file
indexing service to be wasting CPU cycles and [re]building indexes.