Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Are Maxthon and Avant as bad as IE?

Are Maxthon and Avant as bad as IE?

Muse Gruppes

Curious if the Maxthon and Avant browsers are as insecure/bad to use as
Internet Explorer (

Thanks

VanguardLH

Muse Gruppes wrote:

> Curious if the Maxthon and Avant browsers are as insecure/bad to use as
> Internet Explorer (

You haven't bothered to read their documentation? You are completly
unaware that those are wrapper applications for IE?

Wiki articles
-------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxthon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avantbrowser

System Requirements
-------------------
http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm
"Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or Above Version"
http://www.avantbrowser.com/support.html#systemreq
"Internet Explorer version 6.0,7.0 or 8.0 should be installed."

Why is IE a requirement? Because a wrapper for IE is obviously going to
need IE to be present.

Muse Gruppes

On 7/4/2010 10:57 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Muse Gruppes wrote:
>
>> Curious if the Maxthon and Avant browsers are as insecure/bad to use as
>> Internet Explorer (

> You haven't bothered to read their documentation? You are completly
> unaware that those are wrapper applications for IE?
>

> Wiki articles
> -------------
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxthon
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avantbrowser
>

> System Requirements
> -------------------
> http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm
> "Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or Above Version"
> http://www.avantbrowser.com/support.html#systemreq
> "Internet Explorer version 6.0,7.0 or 8.0 should be installed."
>
> Why is IE a requirement? Because a wrapper for IE is obviously going to
> need IE to be present.

Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in place to
make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!

Thanks

chuckcar

Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i0qkil$32n$(E-Mail Removed):

> On 7/4/2010 10:57 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Muse Gruppes wrote:
>>
>>> Curious if the Maxthon and Avant browsers are as insecure/bad to use as
>>> Internet Explorer (

>> You haven't bothered to read their documentation? You are completly
>> unaware that those are wrapper applications for IE?
>>

>> Wiki articles
>> -------------
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxthon
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avantbrowser
>>

>> System Requirements
>> -------------------
>> http://www.maxthon.com/support.htm
>> "Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or Above Version"
>> http://www.avantbrowser.com/support.html#systemreq
>> "Internet Explorer version 6.0,7.0 or 8.0 should be installed."
>>
>> Why is IE a requirement? Because a wrapper for IE is obviously going to
>> need IE to be present.

> Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in place to
> make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!

As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser on the
market. You can make that assertion based on one very important and
relevant point: it's longevity and vast number of times people *have* tried
to compromise it's security in the last 15 years. Most of the windows
updates have been for IE, OE and WMP for just such reasons.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> VanguardLH wrote:
>>> Why is IE a requirement? Because a wrapper for IE is obviously
>>> going to need IE to be present.

>> Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in
>> place to make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!
>>

> As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser on
> the market.

<SPLORFFF!>

> You can make that assertion based on one very important and relevant
> point: it's [sic] longevity and vast number of times people *have*
> tried to compromise it's [sic] security in the last 15 years.

Are you going to mention the many thousands of times these
"compromisers" have been successful?

> Most of the windows updates have been for IE, OE and WMP for just such
> reasons.

Reasons: there are constantly new exploitable holes found by the
"compromisers."

You should not post after you've opened the bottle.

--
-bts

Aardvark

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:33:47 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> it's security

No, it isn't.

VanguardLH

chuckcar wrote:

> Muse Gruppes wrote:
>
>> Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in place to
>> make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!

> As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser on the
> market. You can make that assertion based on one very important and
> relevant point: it's longevity and vast number of times people *have* tried
> to compromise it's security in the last 15 years. Most of the windows
> updates have been for IE, OE and WMP for just such reasons.

Who said chuck didn't have a warped sense of humor?

Muse Gruppes

you make NO ****ing sense.

Fuzzy Logic

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:i0r09b$lo4$(E-Mail Removed)-
september.org:

> chuckcar wrote:
>
>> Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well I was aware, but I wondered if they put some safeguards in
>>> place to make up for 'regular' IEs lack of safety. Guess not!
>>>

>> As a matter of fact IE is quite probably the *most* secure browser on
>> the market.

><SPLORFFF!>
>
>> You can make that assertion based on one very important and relevant
>> point: it's [sic] longevity and vast number of times people *have*
>> tried to compromise it's [sic] security in the last 15 years.

> Are you going to mention the many thousands of times these
> "compromisers" have been successful?
>
>> Most of the windows updates have been for IE, OE and WMP for just such
>> reasons.

> Reasons: there are constantly new exploitable holes found by the
> "compromisers."
>
> You should not post after you've opened the bottle.

IE8 is actually quite secure. The issue for browser security now has more to do with plugins and extensions
which are being targetted big time. In addition if you get a popup telling you that you have been compromised
and you should install some great security software and you do that it hardly counts as a browser insecurity.

Concentrate on your browser plugins/extensions (Flash, Adobe, Jave, QuickTime) as these are the most
targeted and the bad guys have tools that can quickly determine your OS and what plugins you have and their
vulnerabilities and promptly serve up malware. For interesting reading:

http://www.invincea.com/wordpress/?p=553
http://www.symantec.com/business/the...d=threatreport

chuckcar

Muse Gruppes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i0rbgo$n0n$(E-Mail Removed):

> you make NO ****ing sense.

Completely unlike your OP. Riight.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Maxthon Browser Top Computer Support 4 06-22-2006 08:32 PM
Winfixer constantly popping up on FireFox, Mozilla, and Internet Explorer. Only Avant Browser stops it and all other crap! John Breckenridge Computer Support 8 08-14-2005 05:30 PM
Maxthon # 1 west488 Firefox 41 08-11-2005 07:20 AM
Anyone else using Maxthon browser? Joy NZ Computing 2 02-28-2005 05:52 AM

Advertisments