Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > “But I Want An Iphone”

“But I Want An Iphone”

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Fanboys are funny, aren’t they...

<http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg>
<http://techdirt.com/articles/20100702/03200710058.shtml>

Simon

On Jul 4, 2:03*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Fanboys are funny, arent they...
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg>
> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100702/03200710058.shtml>

Oh the irony!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Simon
wrote:

> Oh the irony!

You were the one claiming that you don’t need image backups to restore a
fully-functioning Windows system, weren’t you
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/3e48cb00380293d3>?

Simon

On Jul 4, 6:50*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Simon
> wrote:
>
> > Oh the irony!

> You were the one claiming that you dont need image backups to restore a
> fully-functioning Windows system, werent you
> <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/3e48cb00380293d3>?

There are many ways to achieve the same result, all with associated
advantages and disadvantages. Both image and file-based backups can
both be used in the Windows world for restorative purposes. For the
record, in our business we use file-based backups for both the Linux
and Windows installations.

I cannot speak for you, but I am not a blinkered "fanboy" of a
particular operating system or piece of software. They are a tool - a
means to an end - and an astute and professional IT practitioner will
chose the tool best suited to solving the business need or problem,
rather than proclaiming one as superior in each and every situation.
That is why we have a mixture of operating systems (Mac, Linux and
Windows) and of application software.

Rhino

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 20:14:45 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article
><(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>Exactly !
>I have the attitude that the most expensive part of the computer is the
>operator, so (within reason) we choose the OS and Applications that make
>the operator the most productive, so in some cases we have Macs triple
>booting (or running multiples OSs in a VM)

Simon,

You have just won the award for the best post in nz.comp for 2010. I
have VM's running Linux, Win 2k, XPSP2, XPSP3, 2k3 server & 2k8 server
for lab testing prior to suggesting solutions to clients.

Depending on their needs, each OS is the best choice for them.

In the computer world, one size does not fit all.

Cheers, Rhino

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Simon
wrote:

> Both image and file-based backups can both be used in the Windows world
> for restorative purposes.

But just about everybody else in the world with any Windows experience makes
it clear that you CANNOT restore a working Windows installation from a file-
only backup, you need to use an image backup.

Simon

On Jul 6, 10:39*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> > Both image and file-based backups can both be used in the Windows world
> > for restorative purposes.

> But just about everybody else in the world with any Windows experience makes
> it clear that you CANNOT restore a working Windows installation from a file-
> only backup, you need to use an image backup.

Despite your childish and decidedly unprofessional demeanour displayed
in the other thread (quote) "Another Dimdows expert assuring us that
file backups are sufficient for
this purpose." I'll answer your question anyway.

Your question was: 'So you need image backups to properly restore a
functioning Dimdows
system? File backups arent enough? '

The answer is no, you don't *require* imaged based backups to restore
a working Windows system, as in many cases file backups are enough. It
really depends on what is running on the system.

As a real-world example, the remaining Windows file-server in our
organisation was fully restored by reloading windows via an automated
script & then restoring the files (including System state data). We
*could* have used an image based backup system, but we decided not to
in this instance for a variety of reasons.

Simon

On Jul 5, 10:16*pm, Rhino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Exactly !
> >I have the attitude that the most expensive part of the computer is the
> >operator, so (within reason) we choose the OS and Applications that make
> >the operator the most productive, so in some cases we *have Macs triple
> >booting (or running multiples OSs in a VM)

> Simon,
>
> You have just won the award for the best post in nz.comp for 2010. *I
> have VM's running Linux, Win 2k, XPSP2, XPSP3, 2k3 server & 2k8 server
> for lab testing prior to suggesting solutions to clients.
>
> Depending on their needs, each OS is the best choice for them.
>
> In the computer world, one size does not fit all.
>
> Cheers, Rhino

Thanks Rhino/Whoisthis )

I am extremely glad to see that there are other *true professionals*
out there that understand IT from a business perspective.

The attitude that we're seeing here is, in my opinion, derived from an
emotional attachment to a particular technology, which I believe is a
dangerous thing, as it inhibits cool and rational selection of the
most appropriate solution.

I shall treasure the shiny new award

Richard

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Simon
> wrote:
>
>> Both image and file-based backups can both be used in the Windows world
>> for restorative purposes.

> But just about everybody else in the world with any Windows experience makes
> it clear that you CANNOT restore a working Windows installation from a file-
> only backup, you need to use an image backup.

When you install windows 7, your old windows is put into a folder called
old windows, it puts windows, program files, program file (x86), users,
and program data in there.

If you move those folders back to the root of the drive, you have your
old windows installation back. To me that seems pretty conclusive proof
that you can do it with just a file backup. There may be boot stuff that
needs sorting out on a fresh drive, but IME booting the windows CD and
letting it do its repair thing sorts that out pretty easily and quickly.

Simon

On Jul 5, 10:16*pm, Rhino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 20:14:45 +1200, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >In article
> ><(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Simon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Exactly !
> >I have the attitude that the most expensive part of the computer is the
> >operator, so (within reason) we choose the OS and Applications that make
> >the operator the most productive, so in some cases we *have Macs triple
> >booting (or running multiples OSs in a VM)

> Simon,
>
> You have just won the award for the best post in nz.comp for 2010. *I
> have VM's running Linux, Win 2k, XPSP2, XPSP3, 2k3 server & 2k8 server
> for lab testing prior to suggesting solutions to clients.

Rhino,

One concern I do have is that VM Ware's pricing (and that of pretty
much all the major proprietary vendors), are creeping towards the
point where the cost of the solution is in many cases, on par with or
exceeds the savings that can be realised from deploying their solution
in the first place.

Of course, over exuberant engineers deploying stand-alone VM's to run
a service by itself (simply because deployment is now so easy),
doesn't help either!

Would like to hear some of your thoughts on this....