Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

Robert Coe

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 04:06:24 +1000, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
: news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
: > An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack got
: > jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came loose and
: > swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
: >
: > < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
: >
: > I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
: >
: > --
: > Regards,
: >
: > Savageduck
: >
:
: Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
: easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop the
: race immediately????

Obviously they would have if an official had seen the jack. But that's easier
said than done. The track would be anywhere from one to three miles long, and
until all drivers have passed a flag stand and seen the yellow caution flag,
there's nothing to slow them down. (Actually stopping, i.e. red-flagging, the
race would have been more dangerous than letting it continue, since a stopped
car is a sitting duck for those behind it. You do that only if the track ahead
is impassable.)

In the best of all worlds, the officials would be able to push a button and
send a radio signal to turn on a big yellow light on each car's dashboard. But
that isn't easy either. The cars don't use the same radio frequency, so all
the radios would have to be modified, along with the installation of equipment
at the track. All doable, but of doubtful feasibility. (Somebody may tell me
that they've already done that, but I've not heard of it.)

The primary fault lies with the driver's pit crew. Not only did they screw up
by letting the car leave with the jack attached; as soon as they saw the jack
being dragged, they should have radioed the driver to pull over and notified
the officials to put out the yellow flag. It makes you think that they were so
inattentive that they didn't see the jack being dragged when the car left. A
month's suspension for the head of the pit crew might help him get his mind
right, but one somehow doubts that it will happen.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 18:32:40 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
: On 2010-07-03 17:05:51 -0700, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
:
: > On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 04:06:24 +1000, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > : "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
: > : news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
: > : > An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack got
: > : > jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came loose and
: > : > swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
: > : >
: > : > < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
: > : >
: > : > I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
: > : >
: > : > --
: > : > Regards,
: > : >
: > : > Savageduck
: > : >
: > :
[...]
: The FIA fined the team for the incident (amount was not specified) the
: driver Alberto Valerio was absolved of fault for this incident as he
: had no way of knowing what had actually happened. However he and his
: two team mates have been penalized 10 grid positions each for the next
: race at Silverstone, for their role in causing a collision during the
: Sprint race.
:
: GP2 does have the F1 EM LED Marshal flag and Race Control Management system.
: < http://www.fia.com/oldautomotive/iss...article4.html# >
: This has been in the cars since 2007 and places an LED array in the
: cockpit giving the driver all the major marshal flag signals. So the
: driver could have been signaled to return to the pits with a red flag,

Black, I believe. Red stops the whole race.

: it was not clear that he had been given that signal. As far as a local
: yellow caution was concerned, that only became relevant once the debris
: was on the track.
: Once the jack broke away, he was free to continue racing.
: These cars also have an Accident data recorder required by the FIA.
:
: GP2 is seen as a major stepping stone to F1 and most of the new
: additions to the F1 ranks were GP2 stars. < http://gp2series.com/ >

Interesting. I knew nothing about those in-car systems.

Bob

David J Taylor

[]
> Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant, so
> Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
> someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
> yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.

"Watch for the flashing black LED".....

David

Robert Coe

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 08:32:50 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
: news:2010070320304550073-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
: []
: > Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant, so
: > Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
: > someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
: > yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.
:
: "Watch for the flashing black LED".....

"... through your IR-sensitive glasses."

Bob

John McWilliams

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> []
>> Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant,
>> so Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
>> someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
>> yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.

> "Watch for the flashing black LED".....

There could easily be a LED covered with a black bubble that'd flash.
The flashes wouldn't be quite pure black, but it'd be clear the black
one was activated.

--
john mcwilliams