Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

John McWilliams

Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:43:51 -0700, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> :
> : Or what's the photog's life compared to a chance at the money shot <g>.
>
> Er... Let's not lose sight of the fact that no one (not even the photographer)
> was killed or injured in this incident. It didn't take any other cars out of
> the race. And the camera was wrecked only because it was poking through a
> (very beefy) fence.

Arguably- and there will be arguments- the photog was in the wrong by
poking his equipment through the fence; could be a distraction to the
drivers.

--
john mcwilliams

Peter

"Bill Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Charles E Hardwidge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i0pvol$fuj$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> "tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
>>> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
>>> the crashes.
>>>
>>> I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
>>> are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
>>> crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.

>> Since F1 became less of a character against adversity thing and more like
>> watching a car on a rolling road supervised by a team of coffee sipping
>> technicians I quit watching.
>>
>> Sure, it's safe and consumerised now. Some would say that's "better" and
>> must be a "success" but you could say that about dumbed down and
>> blandified
>> news media and bubblegum movies.
>>
>> I've got no illusions left about about war and poverty but the same blow
>> dried sofa set want "results" and the second you have to "do" anything
>> they
>> disappear behind a cloud of passive-anger NIMBY whining.
>>
>> --
>> Charles E Hardwidge

> For the life of me, I can't understand why people like watching a bunch of
> specialty cars race around an oval track at nearly 200 MPH. What is there
> about this that even faintly resembles driving anything on a, "road"? When
> I was young, I used to go out to South Hampton, Long Island, and watch
> real road racing.....I had a friend who drove a Fiat-Abarth in those
> races, and sometimes won. He would race his car in the single modification
> class, and by adding a cardboard "fin" to the rear, he would also compete
> in the two modification class. Then, during the week, he would drive the
> same car to work every day, because it was his only means of
> transportation, and it was street legal.....Those were the days of real
> racing, and I could identify with it very well. Today, you might as well
> watch a bunch of jet planes race for all the comparison to real driving it
> has.

They do allow smoking at NASCAR events. Here's your big chance Billy Boy.

--
Peter

David Kerber

In article <2010081008155084492-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com says...

> Some of the best motor racing today can be found in the FIA GT Series,
> GT1 & GT2, and ALMS (American Le Mans Series).
> http://www.americanlemans.com/
> http://history.fiagt.com/index.php
> http://gt1world.com/news
> http://gt2europe.com/

I'd have to say ALMS is my favorite motorsport to watch.