Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: OT/ IT'S A MAN THING

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: OT/ IT'S A MAN THING

 
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-04-2010
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 16:21:03 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

> Oldus Fartus wrote:
>> Aardvark wrote:
>>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
>>>
>>>> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud

>> boom!
>>>> Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would mean

>> that
>>>> was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.
>>>
>>> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile

>> every
>>> five seconds?
>>>
>>> Apparently not.
>>>
>>> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the

>> same
>>> ****ing speed.
>>>
>>>

>> I don't know whether you remember it, but some time ago I was reading
>> this NG and noticed that the irony meter on the bookshelf above my desk
>> started to go berserk each time a post was received from little dicky
>> bullis, or Weirdo Scotty.
>>
>> My theory is that those two, and some others actually exist in an
>> alternative reality, and a small, but detectable amount of particles
>> are
>> released when information passes between these realities. It is
>> still early days, but I am hoping that by passing the emitted particles
>> through a do'h-transformer, I may be able to generate meaningful
>> amounts
>> of power to feed into the grid.
>>

> Yu might wanna consider this. And WHY I remember stuf like this s beyond
> me:
> http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-airpressure.htm Indicates the
> deciding variable is *temperature*...whereas I tht it ws
> humidity:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound Which they describe
> as "mean molecular weight". So I would assume that different gasses
> transmit sound at differing rates...this pretty much susses it all out:
> http://www.physicsforums.com/archive.../t-174125.html
>
> HTH


The more dense the medium, the faster the speed of sound through that
medium. Common knowledge, mate.



--
I'm Josef Fritzl, and No Windows was my idea.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2010
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:41:02 +0000, Aardvark ǝʇoɹʍ:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
>
>> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud
>> boom! Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would mean
>> that was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

>
> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile every
> five seconds?
>
> Apparently not.
>
> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
> ****ing speed.


Holy Sheee-it! Was RtS implying what I thought he was implying? I didn't
read his OP but it seems he thinks that the louder a sound is the faster
it travels?

The only thing that makes sounds go faster so to speak is the density of
the material the sound is transmitted through.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2010
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:07:40 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:41:02 +0000, Aardvark ǝʇoɹʍ:
>
>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
>>
>>> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud
>>> boom! Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would
>>> mean that was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.

>>
>> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile every
>> five seconds?
>>
>> Apparently not.
>>
>> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
>> ****ing speed.

>
> Holy Sheee-it! Was RtS implying what I thought he was implying? I didn't
> read his OP but it seems he thinks that the louder a sound is the faster
> it travels?
>
> The only thing that makes sounds go faster so to speak is the density of
> the material the sound is transmitted through.


Well, I didn't want to confuse him by bringing up any of that confusing
scientific stuff.

I could have mentioned that the speed of sound also depends on
temperature, pressure, humidity and altitude,but that would have flown
over his head at Mach 1.



--
I'm Josef Fritzl, and No Windows was my idea.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Meat Plow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2010
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:41:48 +0000, Aardvark ǝʇoɹʍ:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:07:40 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:41:02 +0000, Aardvark ǝʇoɹʍ:
>>
>>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
>>>
>>>> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud
>>>> boom! Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would
>>>> mean that was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.
>>>
>>> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile
>>> every five seconds?
>>>
>>> Apparently not.
>>>
>>> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the same
>>> ****ing speed.

>>
>> Holy Sheee-it! Was RtS implying what I thought he was implying? I
>> didn't read his OP but it seems he thinks that the louder a sound is
>> the faster it travels?
>>
>> The only thing that makes sounds go faster so to speak is the density
>> of the material the sound is transmitted through.

>
> Well, I didn't want to confuse him by bringing up any of that confusing
> scientific stuff.


I guess he never learned as a child how to determine the approximate
distance of lightning strikes by counting 1-1000 2-1000 3-1000 and so on
until you hear the thunder clap. If you get up to 5, the strike was
around a mile away. **** I remember this way back in my single-digit
years.

> I could have mentioned that the speed of sound also depends on
> temperature, pressure, humidity and altitude,but that would have flown
> over his head at Mach 1.


Yeah what I now have gleaned from this thread he was claiming
he saw a firework burst, counted to 2 and heard the sound of the explosion
even though he was 20 miles away. So he said that was one hell of a blast
because he heard it that quick. Someone who thinking along those lines
really is St00pid. Maybe that's where he got his nick RtS yah think?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:41:51 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:41:48 +0000, Aardvark ǝʇoɹʍ:
>
>> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:07:40 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:41:02 +0000, Aardvark ǝʇoɹʍ:
>>>
>>>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:30:38 -0400, richard wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Two seconds or so after I said, "Zero", I heard this one huge loud
>>>>> boom! Given the fact I am 20 air miles from the launch, that would
>>>>> mean that was one hell of a damn big aerial bomb.
>>>>
>>>> Did you know that the speed of sound at sea level is about a mile
>>>> every five seconds?
>>>>
>>>> Apparently not.
>>>>
>>>> Doesn't matter how loud a sound is, it travels through air at the
>>>> same ****ing speed.
>>>
>>> Holy Sheee-it! Was RtS implying what I thought he was implying? I
>>> didn't read his OP but it seems he thinks that the louder a sound is
>>> the faster it travels?
>>>
>>> The only thing that makes sounds go faster so to speak is the density
>>> of the material the sound is transmitted through.

>>
>> Well, I didn't want to confuse him by bringing up any of that confusing
>> scientific stuff.

>
> I guess he never learned as a child how to determine the approximate
> distance of lightning strikes by counting 1-1000 2-1000 3-1000 and so on
> until you hear the thunder clap. If you get up to 5, the strike was
> around a mile away. **** I remember this way back in my single-digit
> years.
>
>> I could have mentioned that the speed of sound also depends on
>> temperature, pressure, humidity and altitude,but that would have flown
>> over his head at Mach 1.

>
> Yeah what I now have gleaned from this thread he was claiming he saw a
> firework burst, counted to 2 and heard the sound of the explosion even
> though he was 20 miles away. So he said that was one hell of a blast
> because he heard it that quick. Someone who thinking along those lines
> really is St00pid. Maybe that's where he got his nick RtS yah think?


One-hippopotamus, two-hippopotamus etc.

Does RtS even know what hippopotami are?

--
I'm Josef Fritzl, and No Windows was my idea.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 08:40:27 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

> Aardvark wrote:
>> I could have mentioned that the speed of sound also depends on
>> temperature, pressure, humidity and altitude,but that would have flown
>> over his head at Mach 1.
>>

> You have a very wry sense of humor.


At least someone appreciates it. I only wish I could 'Mike Yetto' things.
That'd be super cool.



--
I'm Josef Fritzl, and No Windows was my idea.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: OT/ IT'S A MAN THING exntluser Computer Support 0 07-03-2010 09:04 AM
Re: OT/ IT'S A MAN THING Buffalo Computer Support 0 07-03-2010 03:09 AM
Microsoft man says too much security is bad thing Au79 Computer Support 1 08-17-2007 10:07 PM
New releases: The Man With the Golden Arm, Cinderella Man & Dead & Buried; Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 08-16-2005 05:35 AM
conflict between man perlipc and man perlfunc !? Jaap Karssenberg Perl Misc 0 01-09-2004 11:39 PM



Advertisments