Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Installing a sound card

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Installing a sound card

 
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2010
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
> few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
> card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
> onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
> being installed? Thanks.
>

The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
*now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.


--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2010
The motherboard doesn't care, but i care and i'm sure he cares too.

chuckcar wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
> > few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
> > card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
> > onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
> > being installed? Thanks.
> >

> The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
> That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
> *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )


--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper
manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
on the job for potty mouth,

Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!

El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar

Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man

Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond
the realm of understandability

Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-03-2010
Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:30:56 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Check your BIOS *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.

>
> Gee, sounds like something I said yesterday.


LOL. The man that doesn't even understand PCI.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2010
On 03/07/2010 00:30, chuckcar wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
>> few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
>> card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
>> onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
>> being installed? Thanks.
>>

> The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
> That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
> *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.
>
>

Strange, I never needed to do that when I installed a second sound card
and I never need to do it when I plug in a USB sound card. I must have a
very special PC.
 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2010
Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:i0s4p8$rmm$(E-Mail Removed):

> On 03/07/2010 00:30, chuckcar wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
>>> few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
>>> card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
>>> onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
>>> being installed? Thanks.
>>>

>> The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
>> That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
>> *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.
>>
>>

> Strange, I never needed to do that when I installed a second sound card
> and I never need to do it when I plug in a USB sound card. I must have a
> very special PC.
>

I never said you *had* to deactivate the onnboard. It just makes sense to
do so is all. However, tell me exactly what a "USB sound card" is and how
you plug it directly into the main bus. Not USB ports mind you.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2010
On 05/07/2010 22:32, chuckcar wrote:
> Desk Rabbit<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:i0s4p8$rmm$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 03/07/2010 00:30, chuckcar wrote:
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>>
>>>> I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
>>>> few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
>>>> card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
>>>> onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
>>>> being installed? Thanks.
>>>>
>>> The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
>>> That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your BIOS
>>> *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.
>>>
>>>

>> Strange, I never needed to do that when I installed a second sound card
>> and I never need to do it when I plug in a USB sound card. I must have a
>> very special PC.
>>

> I never said you *had* to deactivate the onnboard. It just makes sense to
> do so is all. However, tell me exactly what a "USB sound card" is and how
> you plug it directly into the main bus. Not USB ports mind you.
>


So why the emphasis in "Check your BIOS *now*" if it's not important.
Why would it make sense to disable the other card if it doesn't cause a
problem? I might want to use it as a second output or input for example.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:24:49 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:

> So why the emphasis in "Check your BIOS *now*" if it's not important.


Coz he's chucktard,that's why.



--
I'm Josef Fritzl, and No Windows was my idea.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
On 07/07/2010 01:11, Aardvark wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 09:24:49 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:
>
>> So why the emphasis in "Check your BIOS *now*" if it's not important.

>
> Coz he's chucktard,that's why.
>
>
>

I know but it's fun to play with him.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
On 07/07/2010 09:24, nobody > wrote:
> On 7/6/2010 1:24 AM, Desk Rabbit wrote:
>> On 05/07/2010 22:32, chuckcar wrote:
>>> Desk Rabbit<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:i0s4p8$rmm$(E-Mail Removed):
>>>
>>>> On 03/07/2010 00:30, chuckcar wrote:
>>>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>>>>
>>>>>> I have new computer which I ordered using the onboard audio to save a
>>>>>> few bucks. Now I'm thinking I should have just sprung for a sound
>>>>>> card. If I buy a card and install it, do I have to deactivate the
>>>>>> onboard sound in the BIOS or will the motherboard detect a sound card
>>>>>> being installed? Thanks.
>>>>>>
>>>>> The motherboard doesn't care in the least about any add on sound card.
>>>>> That's handled at the operating system level and higher. Check your
>>>>> BIOS
>>>>> *now* to make sure you can deactivate the onboard card.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Strange, I never needed to do that when I installed a second sound card
>>>> and I never need to do it when I plug in a USB sound card. I must
>>>> have a
>>>> very special PC.
>>>>
>>> I never said you *had* to deactivate the onnboard. It just makes
>>> sense to
>>> do so is all. However, tell me exactly what a "USB sound card" is and
>>> how
>>> you plug it directly into the main bus. Not USB ports mind you.
>>>

>>
>> So why the emphasis in "Check your BIOS *now*" if it's not important.
>> Why would it make sense to disable the other card if it doesn't cause a
>> problem? I might want to use it as a second output or input for example.

>
> Depends on the way the two (card and onboard) sound systems interact
> with your OS and apps... and how much you want to play the tweak game.
>
> I quit playing "high-end games" years ago, primarily due to the high
> cost of spending megabuX$ on $400+ vidcards (and watercooling, and
> $y-CPUs and such. I forgot about the "soundcard wars" until your post.


I'm not a gamer.

> It's possible to use multiple "sound devices" in Windo$e. It's just as
> much of a pain in the ass there as it was back in the DOS days when it
> was easier to run a bootscript to load drivers for each "sound device"
> for each game.


Let me see. I've got an on board sound card, a pro studio sound card and
I regularly plug in one or more USB sound interfaces and they all work
together just fine and dandy.


> (at one time; I had a SB64 Gold, an Orchid 32, and a GUS all filling ISA
> slots, and a 145-line batchfile to load whatever SC fit whatever game
> (in DOS).

ISA I agree was a pain where you had to figure out a suitable address
and IRQs but then along came plug and play and all is sweetness and
light now.


> Doing this in Windo$e?

Yes

> Figure about 6 hours minimum just "playing with" various 'preference
> dialog boxes' before you even see what you have stepped in. After that,
> you'll find yourself doing REGEDIT hacks off GoogFinds.

Rubbish. Plug in hardware, install drivers, good to go. About 20 minutes
tops including downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers web
site.

>
> Nasty...

Simple.
 
Reply With Quote
 
hwf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile
of<i1286h$raf$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>> Figure about 6 hours minimum just "playing with" various 'preference
>> dialog boxes' before you even see what you have stepped in. After

that,
>> you'll find yourself doing REGEDIT hacks off GoogFinds.

>
>
>Rubbish. Plug in hardware, install drivers, good to go. About 20

minutes
>tops including downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers

web
>site.
>


What a crock of ****. Find the EXACT driver for a BRoadcom 5705M Net
Extreme. After you see that theres like five versions of drivers for it
tell us how you'd find the exact driver for it. Btw, its an OEM driver
too.

Good luck wasting a day searching.

^_^



--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COaoYqkpkUA
cageprisoners.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.eyeonpalin.org
_____ ____ ____ __ /\_/\ __ _ ______ _____
/ __/ |/ / / / / // // . . \\ \ |\ | / __ \ \ \ __\
_\ \/ / /_/ / _ / \ / \ \| \| \ \_\ \ \__\ _\
/___/_/|_/\____/_//_/ \_@_/ \__|\__|\____/\____\_\

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bridge Sound from TV Tuner Card to onboard Sound Card? Spare Computer Support 0 03-02-2008 03:55 PM
Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card? John E Computer Support 24 10-01-2007 05:53 AM
Playing sound through non default sound card dkga_dkga@yahoo.com Java 0 03-05-2006 04:38 AM
Sound card problem : Creative sound blaster live Marco Bakker Computer Support 2 08-29-2004 02:09 AM
How do I replace sound chip on motherboard with sound card? John Computer Support 3 05-06-2004 11:47 PM



Advertisments