Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Magazines, websites getting desperate

Magazines, websites getting desperate

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Semantics and labels are important. If you want someone to hand you a
> >knife, you don't ask for a fork. You use the right label.

> Oh hell, I know I shouldn't do this, but ...
>
> You should have thought that one through in advance --
> a fork is still a fork even when it's not being used for its intended
> purpose, likewise a knife. My daughter once made a science project with
> a couple of forks, and they were still called forks. Likewise a phone
> is still a phone even when not making calls. The name is what it is,
> not what it's currently being used for.

wow. you just can't ever admit you're wrong, can you.

J. Clarke

On 7/5/2010 12:59 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:37:22 -0700, nospam<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> It's always been about that. If it doesn't have phone service, it
>>> shouldn't be called a phone.

>> call it whatever you want. it's still useful without phone service.

> I don't argue with that. All those wonderful things you've listed are
> certainly useful for some people.
>
> Me, I want a phone.
>
> A few months ago I was called in on a three week project to grade
> school standard achievement tests for another state. I smoke, and
> there's a gazebo-like building where we smokers were segregated on our
> breaks.
>
> One of the other smokers had this device that did all the things
> you've talked about. (And functioned as a phone) He showed me this
> screen where all of his frequent contacts showed up on the screen as
> little blue dots in their present location. Some sort of GPS
> function, I suppose.
>
> I asked him how he used this feature. He said he never had, but it
> was there for him when he wanted it. Now that's fine for him, but if
> I wanted to know where my wife was at any given time I'd call her on
> my old phone-calls-only Nokia and ask her. Seems like it would serve
> the same purpose.
>
> I can think of a use for it, though. If someone had a
> girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband that they suspected of cheating, the
> blue dot would give them away if it was matched with another blue dot.

Nervous nellies with kids use it to spy on their kids' movements.

> I don't worry about that with my wife, though. I would just worry
> when her blue dot was at Neiman-Marcus or Nordstrom's or
> Bloomingdale's.

J. Clarke

On 7/5/2010 12:30 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:16:31 -0700, nospam<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, tony cooper
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> And the main purpose of a phone is to make and receive telephone
>>> calls.

>> except this isn't just a phone, it's a multipurpose device. the phone
>> is one of many functions. some people use the phone part a lot, others
>> don't use it much at all.

> "I don't use the phone much" is quite different from "I don't have
> phone service". I'm not discussing the amount of time spent on
> various features. I'm saying that if it doesn't have phone service
> it's silly to call it a phone.

At best it's an unplugged phone.

I guess that if one really wants a PDA one could buy a Treo or the like
with no service, but it seems an expensive way to get one.

Peter

"J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 7/5/2010 12:30 AM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:16:31 -0700, nospam<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> except this isn't just a phone, it's a multipurpose device. the phone
>>> is one of many functions. some people use the phone part a lot, others
>>> don't use it much at all.

>> "I don't use the phone much" is quite different from "I don't have
>> phone service". I'm not discussing the amount of time spent on
>> various features. I'm saying that if it doesn't have phone service
>> it's silly to call it a phone.

> At best it's an unplugged phone.
>
> I guess that if one really wants a PDA one could buy a Treo or the like
> with no service, but it seems an expensive way to get one.

I have an old PDA that had handwriting recognition. With the help of a CF
card it worked as a fine GPS.. If it had phone capability I would have
continued using it.

--
Peter

Peter

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:19:27 -0700, John Navas

>>So are you now down to arguing semantics and labels?

> It's always been about that. If it doesn't have phone service, it
> shouldn't be called a phone.

What do I call my antique gum ball machine. It doesn't have gum ball
service.

What do I call my old coffee maker, that I have discontinued the coffee
service for.
(Please don't say junk)

--
Peter

Peter

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't worry about that with my wife, though. I would just worry
> when her blue dot was at Neiman-Marcus or Nordstrom's or
> Bloomingdale's.

Reminds me of that story about the individual who didn't report his stolen
credit card. He said the thief spent less than his wife.

--
Peter

Peter

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 01:26:00 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, tony cooper
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Roger that.

>>Semantics and labels are important. If you want someone to hand you a
>>knife, you don't ask for a fork. You use the right label.

> Oh hell, I know I shouldn't do this, but ...
>
> You should have thought that one through in advance --
> a fork is still a fork even when it's not being used for its intended
> purpose, likewise a knife. My daughter once made a science project with
> a couple of forks, and they were still called forks. Likewise a phone
> is still a phone even when not making calls. The name is what it is,
> not what it's currently being used for.
>
> By your logic a tree falling in the forest with nobody around not only
> would be silent, but not even a tree.
>
> NOW HAVE THE LAST WORD, AND THEN PLEASE LET US BURY THE HORSE!!!

Uhm!

Is there someone forcing you to answer?

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:01:58 -0400, "Peter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:19:27 -0700, John Navas

>>>So are you now down to arguing semantics and labels?

>> It's always been about that. If it doesn't have phone service, it
>> shouldn't be called a phone.
>>

>What do I call my antique gum ball machine. It doesn't have gum ball
>service.

"Decor", or if you want to be a bit fancier: "décor".

>What do I call my old coffee maker, that I have discontinued the coffee
>service for.
>(Please don't say junk)

"Victim of budget slashing" if it's an office machine and you are now
too cheap to furnish free coffee for the staff.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Peter

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:01:58 -0400, "Peter"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 21:19:27 -0700, John Navas

>>> It's always been about that. If it doesn't have phone service, it
>>> shouldn't be called a phone.
>>>

>>What do I call my antique gum ball machine. It doesn't have gum ball
>>service.

> "Decor", or if you want to be a bit fancier: "décor".
>
>>What do I call my old coffee maker, that I have discontinued the coffee
>>service for.
>>(Please don't say junk)

> "Victim of budget slashing" if it's an office machine and you are now
> too cheap to furnish free coffee for the staff.

<G>

--
Peter

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Nervous nellies with kids use it to spy on their kids' movements.

> Likewise responsible parents who care about the safety of their kids.

more like untrusting parents.