Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > two XP installs on one machine

two XP installs on one machine

thanatoid

Hi gang,

Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
two other separate partitions?

I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
- different - XP install on another partition.

It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.

Any comments?

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like

Mike Easter

thanatoid wrote:

> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
> two other separate partitions?

Not with MS's boot manager.

> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
> - different - XP install on another partition.
>
> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.

I would use GAG http://gag.sourceforge.net/ <q> Allows boot of up to 9
different operating systems. - It can boot operating systems installed
in primary and extended partitions on any available hard disk. </q>

I'm less familiar with using grub on such a MS triple - I've used grub
with 3-5 OS but only 1 Win in 1st place + multiple linuxes on various
extendeds.

--
Mike Easter

joevan

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:08 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi gang,
>
>Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
>two other separate partitions?
>
>I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second
>- different - XP install on another partition.
>
>It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.
>
>Any comments?

I have XP on 2 separate hard drives on the same computer. I guess you
could try it on a separate partition, don't know. I can boot either if
there is a problem by going to bios and changing boot order. Hmm can
that be done on partitions!!!

Mike Easter

thanatoid wrote:

> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on
> two other separate partitions?

Ha! You are being 'dragged' (dragging yourself) into the 21st century
of OSes.

98se intro 1999
XP intro 2001

--
Mike Easter

Meat Plow

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:08 +0000, thanatoid ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Hi gang,
>
> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP installations on two
> other separate partitions?
>
> I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a second -
> different - XP install on another partition.
>
> It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the job.
>
> Any comments?

Google Grub

thanatoid

Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

<SNIP>

> I would use GAG http://gag.sourceforge.net/ <q> Allows
> boot of up to 9 different operating systems. - It can boot
> operating systems installed in primary and extended
> partitions on any available hard disk. </q>
>
> I'm less familiar with using grub on such a MS triple -
> I've used grub with 3-5 OS but only 1 Win in 1st place +
> multiple linuxes on various extendeds.

Grub freaks me out for some reason - I'll check out GAG. Thanks.

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
to be the universe.
- origin unknown

thanatoid

joevan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:55:08 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi gang,
>>
>>Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
>>installations on two other separate partitions?
>>
>>I have 98SE on C now and XP on E but would like to add a
>>second - different - XP install on another partition.
>>
>>It seems adding one more line to boot.ini should do the
>>job.
>>
>>Any comments?

> I have XP on 2 separate hard drives on the same computer.
> I guess you could try it on a separate partition, don't
> know. I can boot either if there is a problem by going to
> bios and changing boot order. Hmm can that be done on
> partitions!!!

No, just HD 1 or 2 or whatever... And I only have space for 1 HD
in my SFF machine. Thanks.

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
to be the universe.
- origin unknown

thanatoid

Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> thanatoid wrote:
>
>> Can I have a 98SE on C, and /TWO/ different XP
>> installations on two other separate partitions?

> Ha! You are being 'dragged' (dragging yourself) into the
> 21st century of OSes.
>
> 98se intro 1999
> XP intro 2001

Well, it was always inevitable... Frankly, I just wish computers
would go away, but that's not going to happen... The sys
resources drain in 98SELite is becoming quite a serious problem
now that people have gone absolutely insane with web site
design... And more and more modern web sites do not work with
OB1... Sigh... So I was /thinking/ of trying a TinyXP install
for the web... And keeping a FULL XP install for the 2
programs/hardware I am forced to use it for...
Sigh (again)...

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
to be the universe.
- origin unknown

thanatoid

"ChairMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:uSPWn.52334$(E-Mail Removed) m:

<SNIP>

> I installed it twice on the same drive, in 2 different
> folders. Was having issues and tried a repair and it asked
> me if I wanted to install over the existing folder or to a
> new folder. I thought WTF, install to a new folder, copied
> my system32 folder over into the 1st install folder and
> VOILA, had both and didn't lose any info. So to answer your
> ?, yes<g.>

Hmmmmm. To be quite honest, I find this hard to believe. But
anything is possible.
We'll see if anyone else comments on your setup.

Oh, how I miss the days of ONE idiot box!

--
Mozart tells us what it's like to be human, Beethoven tells us
what it's like to be Beethoven and Bach tells us what it's like
to be the universe.
- origin unknown

Meat Plow

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:00:10 +0000, thanatoid ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> I would use GAG http://gag.sourceforge.net/ <q> Allows boot of up to 9
>> different operating systems. - It can boot operating systems installed
>> in primary and extended partitions on any available hard disk. </q>
>>
>> I'm less familiar with using grub on such a MS triple - I've used grub
>> with 3-5 OS but only 1 Win in 1st place + multiple linuxes on various
>> extendeds.

> Grub freaks me out for some reason - I'll check out GAG. Thanks.

I use grub every day without fail. Been doing so for years. It's a
****ing bootloader for ****'s sake how could that freak anyone out.