Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Coney Island Mermaid Parade Pictures 2010

Coney Island Mermaid Parade Pictures 2010

Don Wiss

Okay. I finally got around to cropping, selecting, and captioning my
Mermaid Parade pictures from a week ago. 273 made the cut.

If you are not familiar with this parade, which kicks off the summer at
Coney Island, it is a very fleshy, yet family oriented parade.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2010/

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
>Okay. I finally got around to cropping, selecting, and captioning my
>Mermaid Parade pictures from a week ago. 273 made the cut.
>
>If you are not familiar with this parade, which kicks off the summer at
>Coney Island, it is a very fleshy, yet family oriented parade.
>
>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2010/
>
>Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Serious question here, how do they get away with the public nudity around
children?

Peter

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aypWn.788142$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Wiss
> <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
>>Okay. I finally got around to cropping, selecting, and captioning my
>>Mermaid Parade pictures from a week ago. 273 made the cut.
>>
>>If you are not familiar with this parade, which kicks off the summer at
>>Coney Island, it is a very fleshy, yet family oriented parade.
>>
>>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2010/
>>
>>Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

> Serious question here, how do they get away with the public nudity around
> children?

In NY it is not illegal for females to go topless.
The people are not nude. Many are wearing body paint and/or jewlery.
Most kids were born naked.
Would you take your kids to see Ave Q. (I guess that answer depends on their
age.)

--
Peter

nospam

In article <4c2a3dcf$0$5514$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com>, Peter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Most kids were born naked.

which ones weren't?

Don Wiss

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In NY it is not illegal for females to go topless.

Correct, as long as the topless is not being done for business.

Peter

"Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In NY it is not illegal for females to go topless.

> Correct, as long as the topless is not being done for business.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Depends on what you mean by business.

Do you really think the naked cowgirl is not in business?

Would putting ads for beer on each breast be a prohibited business?

--
Peter

Al Dykes

Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:aypWn.788142$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Wiss
>> <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
>>>Okay. I finally got around to cropping, selecting, and captioning my
>>>Mermaid Parade pictures from a week ago. 273 made the cut.
>>>
>>>If you are not familiar with this parade, which kicks off the summer at
>>>Coney Island, it is a very fleshy, yet family oriented parade.
>>>
>>>http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2010/
>>>
>>>Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

>> Serious question here, how do they get away with the public nudity around
>> children?

>In NY it is not illegal for females to go topless.
>The people are not nude. Many are wearing body paint and/or jewlery.
>Most kids were born naked.
>Would you take your kids to see Ave Q. (I guess that answer depends on their
>age.)

One of the pre-parade events is access to the street that has been
blocked off and used by the parade participants to costume up. Tents
are provided for those that want privacy. Not everyone uses them.
Visitors are charged a few bucks for entry to raise a little money.

If high-end cameras and flesh could reach critical mass and explode,
there would be a mushroom cloud over Coney Island.

Here's a particularly attractive young lady getting her body paint
job.

http://www.panix.com/~adykes/pics/CRW_2830.jpg

--
Al Dykes

Peter

> On 2010-06-28 20:03:56 -0700, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> said:
>
>> Okay. I finally got around to cropping, selecting, and captioning my
>> Mermaid Parade pictures from a week ago. 273 made the cut.
>>
>> If you are not familiar with this parade, which kicks off the summer at
>> Coney Island, it is a very fleshy, yet family oriented parade.
>>
>> http://donwiss.com/pictures/Mermaid-2010/
>>
>> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

> Another entertaining session.
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> BTW, Whatever happened to your location shots of L.I. & N .J. "too good
> to be true" bargain merchants.

After going there for three consecutive years, I missed that event this
year.
Well maybe next year

--
Peter

Don Wiss

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>BTW, Whatever happened to your location shots of L.I. & N .J. "too
>good to be true" bargain merchants.

They are still up. The three albums are listed here:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/#buildings

No one seems to be paying that much attention to them these days. I have a
few Brooklyn ones I took that I need to get up. Then I have a long list of
ones to take in NJ, but I don't have a car. I got a friend to drive me
around for the first trip, but after we got chased by a sleazy one (since
shut down by the NJ AG) he won't do it again.

Don Wiss

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:

>Serious question here, how do they get away with the public nudity around
>children?

From:
http://naturistaction.org/StatesFram...york_laws.html

245.01 Exposure of a person. A person is guilty of exposure if he appears
in a public place in such a manner that the private or intimate parts of
his body are unclothed or exposed. For purposes of this section, the
private or intimate parts of a female person shall include that portion of
the breast which is below the top of the areola. This section shall not
apply to the breastfeeding of infants or to any person entertaining or
performing in a play, exhibition, show or entertainment.

Exposure of a person is a violation.

Nothing in this section shall prevent the adoption by a city, town or
village of a local law prohibiting exposure of a person as herein defined
in a public place, at any time, whether or not such person is entertaining
or performing in a play, exhibition, show or entertainment.

[NAC NOTE: People v. Santorelli restricts the applicability of 245.01.
The Court of Appeals of New York ruled in 1992 that exposure of a bare
female breast violates this law only when it takes place in a commercial
context. As a practical matter, proper enforcement of this section can be a
problem, since local enforcement agents are often unfamiliar with the case
law that interprets the statutory language.]