Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sounds from my laptop like water gurgling - strange comp sounds.wma (0/1)

Sounds from my laptop like water gurgling - strange comp sounds.wma (0/1)

joevan

It is not the speakers because when I unplug them and put in my
headphone jacks I can still hear it. It is sort of mysterious like
little microbes inside checking things out. It varies from squeaky to
weird stuff. Electronic trash? Bad sound card? Anyone have any ideas.
I made a sound file wma of the noise. Will post it somewhere if anyone
has any ideas.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:42:57 -0400, joevan ǝʇoɹʍ:

> It is not the speakers because when I unplug them and put in my
> headphone jacks I can still hear it. It is sort of mysterious like
> little microbes inside checking things out. It varies from squeaky to
> weird stuff. Electronic trash? Bad sound card? Anyone have any ideas. I
> made a sound file wma of the noise. Will post it somewhere if anyone has
> any ideas.

These sounds are present while the laptop is idle? Most laptops don't
have the quietest sound devices. I've always attributed it to the
compactness of the electronics. The noise floor in this Asus M6NE a once
fairly expensive unit is around -20 db. That's pretty noisy. The M-Audio
Delta 44 in my desktop is much quieter at around -60 db.

Mike Easter

joevan wrote:
> It is not the speakers because when I unplug them and put in my
> headphone jacks I can still hear it.

Does that mean that you hear the sound thru' the headphones, or does
that mean that you hear the sound not thru' the headphones but instead
'thru the air' around the box (regardless of whether headphones are
plugged in or not)?

Strange sounds that come thru the air can come from such as your hard
drive - a bad sign.

If you think your soundcard or the soundcard-like portion of an
integrated mobo sound is responsible for/ generating/ the noise, you
should be able to disable it by disabling the sound in devices.

--
Mike Easter

joevan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:52:16 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> It is not the speakers because when I unplug them and put in my
>> headphone jacks I can still hear it.

>Does that mean that you hear the sound thru' the headphones, or does
>that mean that you hear the sound not thru' the headphones but instead
>'thru the air' around the box (regardless of whether headphones are
>plugged in or not)?

Yes I can hear it through the headphones and or the speaker system.
The laptop is silent with neither headphones or speakers plugged it.

>Strange sounds that come thru the air can come from such as your hard
>drive - a bad sign.

I don't think the sounds are through the air but through the circuits.
>If you think your soundcard or the soundcard-like portion of an
>integrated mobo sound is responsible for/ generating/ the noise, you
>should be able to disable it by disabling the sound in devices.

You talking about the microphone for example. I unplugged it and the
sound is still there.

Aardvark

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:23:37 -0400, joevan wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:52:16 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>joevan wrote:
>>> It is not the speakers because when I unplug them and put in my
>>> headphone jacks I can still hear it.

>>Does that mean that you hear the sound thru' the headphones, or does
>>that mean that you hear the sound not thru' the headphones but instead
>>'thru the air' around the box (regardless of whether headphones are
>>plugged in or not)?

> Yes I can hear it through the headphones and or the speaker system. The
> laptop is silent with neither headphones or speakers plugged it.
>
>>Strange sounds that come thru the air can come from such as your hard
>>drive - a bad sign.

> I don't think the sounds are through the air but through the circuits.
>>If you think your soundcard or the soundcard-like portion of an
>>integrated mobo sound is responsible for/ generating/ the noise, you
>>should be able to disable it by disabling the sound in devices.

> You talking about the microphone for example. I unplugged it and the
> sound is still there.

Does the word 'tinnitus' ring any bells?

Mike Easter

joevan wrote:
> Mike Easter

>> If you think your soundcard or the soundcard-like portion of an
>> integrated mobo sound is responsible for/ generating/ the noise, you
>> should be able to disable it by disabling the sound in devices.

> You talking about the microphone for example. I unplugged it and the
> sound is still there.

No, that's not what I mean.

When I'm talking about disabling the device, I'm talking about with the OS.

Your newsreader is Agent, so that means you are Win. I'll use XP as an
example.

Start/CP/System/Hardware tab/ Devuce manager button/ View devices by
type/ find the sound device (if there is a bunch of stuff in sound,
video, and game controllers you may have to guess and investigate a
little to determine which one should be considered the 'device' for the
sound) / then R click that device and disable it.

If that makes the noise go away, it shows that the noise is actually
coming from the sound 'section'. The problem is that it isn't really
easy to fix/replace parts on LTs.

--
Mike Easter

joevan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:33:56 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> Mike Easter

>>> If you think your soundcard or the soundcard-like portion of an
>>> integrated mobo sound is responsible for/ generating/ the noise, you
>>> should be able to disable it by disabling the sound in devices.

>> You talking about the microphone for example. I unplugged it and the
>> sound is still there.

>No, that's not what I mean.
>
>When I'm talking about disabling the device, I'm talking about with the OS.
>
>Your newsreader is Agent, so that means you are Win. I'll use XP as an
>example.
>
>Start/CP/System/Hardware tab/ Devuce manager button/ View devices by
>type/ find the sound device (if there is a bunch of stuff in sound,
>video, and game controllers you may have to guess and investigate a
>little to determine which one should be considered the 'device' for the
>sound) / then R click that device and disable it.
>
>If that makes the noise go away, it shows that the noise is actually
>coming from the sound 'section'. The problem is that it isn't really
>easy to fix/replace parts on LTs.

Thanks for the information. I am back to my big case desktop w/ xp and
the sound is great.
The laptop is a Toshiba that I just got about a month ago. It has
win7. It is great except for the sound thing. I will look around for
sound stuff just in case it is something basic that I can do.

joevan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:51:56 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:42:57 -0400, joevan ??o??:
>
>> It is not the speakers because when I unplug them and put in my
>> headphone jacks I can still hear it. It is sort of mysterious like
>> little microbes inside checking things out. It varies from squeaky to
>> weird stuff. Electronic trash? Bad sound card? Anyone have any ideas. I
>> made a sound file wma of the noise. Will post it somewhere if anyone has
>> any ideas.

>These sounds are present while the laptop is idle? Most laptops don't
>have the quietest sound devices. I've always attributed it to the
>compactness of the electronics. The noise floor in this Asus M6NE a once
>fairly expensive unit is around -20 db. That's pretty noisy. The M-Audio
>Delta 44 in my desktop is much quieter at around -60 db.

I guess I will go back to listening to my good music on the old
workbox xp machine. I knew there were setbacks to laptops but
listening to water gurgling while listening to Pavarotti is a bit
much. Or maybe I will plug in my old Yamaha hi fi system and listen
with my big old speakers that I have had for about 30 years or so.

Mike Easter

joevan wrote:

> The laptop is a Toshiba that I just got about a month ago. It has
> win7. It is great except for the sound thing. I will look around for
> sound stuff just in case it is something basic that I can do.

If it is b0rken new hardware, it should be under warranty.

--
Mike Easter

joevan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:48:11 -0400, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:33:56 -0700, Mike Easter <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>joevan wrote:
>>> Mike Easter

>>> You talking about the microphone for example. I unplugged it and the
>>> sound is still there.

>>No, that's not what I mean.
>>
>>When I'm talking about disabling the device, I'm talking about with the OS.
>>
>>Your newsreader is Agent, so that means you are Win. I'll use XP as an
>>example.
>>
>>Start/CP/System/Hardware tab/ Devuce manager button/ View devices by
>>type/ find the sound device (if there is a bunch of stuff in sound,
>>video, and game controllers you may have to guess and investigate a
>>little to determine which one should be considered the 'device' for the
>>sound) / then R click that device and disable it.
>>
>>If that makes the noise go away, it shows that the noise is actually
>>coming from the sound 'section'. The problem is that it isn't really
>>easy to fix/replace parts on LTs.

>Thanks for the information. I am back to my big case desktop w/ xp and
>the sound is great.
>The laptop is a Toshiba that I just got about a month ago. It has
>win7. It is great except for the sound thing. I will look around for
>sound stuff just in case it is something basic that I can do.

Thanks, I found the problem. I had enhancements checked, after playing
with them I found what I was looking for. Thanks a million