Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Override Windows auth using global.asax?

Override Windows auth using global.asax?

gbrowins gbrowins is offline
Junior Member

Here's my environment
Win2003 Standard SP2, IIS 6.0, MOSS 2007, .NET 2.0.50727

IIS website uses MOSS 2007 "Team Site" template and has only IWA enabled. Web.config has Windows auth w/ Impersonation:
Code:
   <authentication mode="Windows" />
   <identity impersonate="true" />
IE HTTP headers shows that NTLM authentication occurs for workstation user. In global.asax, I've defined WindowsAuthentication_OnAuthenticate() and can see incoming the Principal/Identity values as:
WindowsAuthenticationEventArgs.Identity.Name = ACME\testuser
WindowsAuthenticationEventArgs.Identity.Authentica tionType = Negotiate
HttpContext.User.Identity = null
Thread.CurrentPrincipal.Identity = <blank>

I'm using the KerbS4U extension to create a new WindowsIdentity which is then used to create a WindowsPrincipal for the new/overriding user:
Code:
   WindowsIdentity winid = new WindowsIdentity("(E-Mail Removed)");
   WindowsPrincipal princ = new WindowsPrincipal(winid);
These succeed and I set the new principal to HttpContext.Current.User & Thread.CurrentPrincipal without errors. I've defined both Application_AuthenticateRequest() and Application_PostAuthenticateRequest() functions in global.asax. These show the "new" Identity in the HttpContext.Current.User & Thread.CurrentPrincipal, but the "Welcome <DOMAIN\username>" in the upper-right menu of the default.aspx homepage itself still shows the name from the initial IWA!

Does anyone have any ideas about where this is breaking down?

-Gregg