Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Browser Fish Test..?

Re: Browser Fish Test..?

Ralph Fox

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:01:10 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Suzie Wong wrote:

> Dose an one know where this is. ? or is this a Application that is run
> on your PC.
>
> Seen references on people using it and many Web posts about it,
> Benchmarks, but I cant find it at all.

Hello, Roger Sheppard

No references, no URLs, pig-in-a-poke.

They may be talking about a browser phish test.

Read about browser phish testing and results here
http://www.mckeay.net/2009/08/16/fir...i-4-loses-big/
(To be open about it, Microsoft sponsored the tests by NSS Labs in this report.)

Or test your browser yourself:
This web page is a phish test page: http://tinyurl.com/y8yvgn

If you see this below, then your browser failed the phish test.

| Boo! Im a naughty web page trying to steal your identity!
|
| OK, not really, but web forgeries (also known as phishing pages) are
| out there on the Internet

If your browser displays a warning instead of opening the
web page, then your browser passed the phish test.

Firefox

| Reported Web Forgery!
| This web page at *************** has been reported as a web forgery
| and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

IE

--
Regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:41:49 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Suzie Wong wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:11:01 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:01:10 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Suzie Wong wrote:
> >
> >> Dose an one know where this is. ? or is this a Application that is run
> >> on your PC.
> >>
> >> Seen references on people using it and many Web posts about it,
> >> Benchmarks, but I cant find it at all.

> This is the test I was on about.
> http://www.cybergsm.com/html5-speed-...a-distant-last
> http://www.neowin.net/news/html5-spe...6-is-dead-last

Hello, Roger Sheppard

The browser 'fishie tank' test page is here: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Pe...k/Default.html

NOTE: The test is designed for IE9 preview and Firefox 3.7 preview.

IE8 - the test does not work for me in IE8.
Firefox 3.6 - the test works for me in Firefox 3.6, but not as fast as in Firefox 3.7 preview.

Hint: Before using Firefox 3.7 preview, following these instructions to
make sure hardware acceleration is turned on:
http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php...re-acceleratio

--
Regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:38:46 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Suzie Wong wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 00:10:02 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > The browser 'fishie tank' test page is here: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Pe...k/Default.html
> >
> > NOTE: The test is designed for IE9 preview and Firefox 3.7 preview.
> >
> > IE8 - the test does not work for me in IE8.
> > Firefox 3.6 - the test works for me in Firefox 3.6, but not as fast as in Firefox 3.7 preview.
> >
> > Hint: Before using Firefox 3.7 preview, following these instructions to
> > make sure hardware acceleration is turned on:
> > http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php...re-acceleratio

> Hi I am getting around 22fps when using the latest build of Firefox 3.7
> with hardware acceleration is turned on and around 22fps with Opera
> 10.6 RC2, it seems that it has hardware acceleration by default.?

Hello, Roger Sheppard

How many fish did you have, when you got around 22fps ?

The 'fishie tank' test page starts out with 20 fish.
You change the number of fish by clicking on one of
the numbers in the panel to the right.

--
Regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:08:56 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Suzie Wong wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:58:25 +1200, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:38:46 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Suzie Wong wrote:
> >
> >> Hi I am getting around 22fps when using the latest build of Firefox 3.7
> >> with hardware acceleration is turned on and around 22fps with Opera
> >> 10.6 RC2, it seems that it has hardware acceleration by default.?

> >Hello, Roger Sheppard
> >
> >How many fish did you have, when you got around 22fps ?
> >
> >The 'fishie tank' test page starts out with 20 fish.
> >You change the number of fish by clicking on one of
> >the numbers in the panel to the right.

> Yes 20 But it depends on the size of the Window you are using, found
> that out later and may be your CPU/GPU.

The real test of the browser is animating hundreds of fish, all at the same time.
With only 20 fish you could get around 22fps in any browser. That is no big deal.

Did you view the test demonstration on YouTube ?

Chrome runs out of steam with only a hundred fish.
Opera runs out of steam by a thousand fish.
Firefox and IE keep steaming along with a thousand fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZUd...layer_embedded

--
Regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:34:40 +1200, in message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Allistar wrote:

> I get 36fps with no hardware acceleration on Firefox 3.6. This is running
> Gentoo Linux with KDE 3.5.10.

I assume you had 20 fish (the default).

> It's a bit jerky though, I'll try again when
> hardware acceleration is available for Linux.

Can you crank it up to 1000 fish and still have it animate smoothly ?

The default of 20 fish is not much of a test. Try at least a hundred
before you think about polishing your medals.

--
Regards
Ralph

victor

On 1/07/2010 11:58 p.m., Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:08:56 +1200, in message<(E-Mail Removed) >
> Suzie Wong wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 21:58:25 +1200, Ralph Fox<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Hello, Roger Sheppard
>>>
>>> How many fish did you have, when you got around 22fps ?
>>>
>>> The 'fishie tank' test page starts out with 20 fish.
>>> You change the number of fish by clicking on one of
>>> the numbers in the panel to the right.

>> Yes 20 But it depends on the size of the Window you are using, found
>> that out later and may be your CPU/GPU.

> The real test of the browser is animating hundreds of fish, all at the same time.
> With only 20 fish you could get around 22fps in any browser. That is no big deal.
>
> Did you view the test demonstration on YouTube ?
>
> Chrome runs out of steam with only a hundred fish.
> Opera runs out of steam by a thousand fish.
> Firefox and IE keep steaming along with a thousand fish.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZUd...layer_embedded

Perhaps I'll use Chrome for everything but animated fish ****ing
contests then.

problems with a JAVA-Fish tank on my site fufko@sbcglobal.net Java 7 03-29-2006 07:25 PM
Whos the big fish on the block? neville Computer Support 7 04-08-2005 06:59 AM
How to fish a car out of the water SgtMinor Computer Support 13 01-22-2005 02:27 AM
FISH ALEXANDER CLARK Computer Support 3 01-14-2005 06:52 PM
Free FISH TO GIVE AWAY!!! New GlasGow Jay Mcginn Computer Support 6 02-08-2004 11:59 PM

Advertisments