Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Who will bail on DSLRs first, Sony or Olympus?

Who will bail on DSLRs first, Sony or Olympus?

RichA

Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. There seems to be
little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. However, Sony, even
though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources, anyway)
have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR production
for as long as they want, even without profits. Couple that with the
less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are getting and it
looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while longer.

Robert Coe

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. There seems to be
: little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
: put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. However, Sony, even
: though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources, anyway)
: have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR production
: for as long as they want, even without profits. Couple that with the
: less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are getting and it
: looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while longer.

Rich, if we knew the answer, we wouldn't tell you. You appear to want to bet
on it, and common sense tells us to preserve the opportunity to bet against
you.

Bob

Ray Fischer

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>: Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. There seems to be
>>: little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
>>: put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. However, Sony, even
>>: though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources,
>>: anyway) have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR
>>: production for as long as they want, even without profits. Couple
>>: that with the less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are
>>: getting and it looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while
>>: longer.
>>
>> Rich, if we knew the answer, we wouldn't tell you. You appear to want
>> to bet on it, and common sense tells us to preserve the opportunity to
>> bet against you.

>I support any decision by the mfgs that keeps them in the black.

Unless it involves the use of plastic.

--
Ray Fischer

RichA

On Jun 27, 5:55*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> Rich *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 07:55:00 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >>: Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. *There seems to be
> >>: little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
> >>: put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. *However, Sony, even
> >>: though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources,
> >>: anyway) have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR
> >>: production for as long as they want, even without profits. *Couple
> >>: that with the less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are
> >>: getting and it looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while
> >>: longer.

> >> Rich, if we knew the answer, we wouldn't tell you. You appear to want
> >> to bet on it, and common sense tells us to preserve the opportunity to
> >> bet against you.

> >I support any decision by the mfgs that keeps them in the black.

> Unless it involves the use of plastic.

Shudder. Interesting thing. I asked which Sony NEX would sell
better, the 3 or the 5. The 5 is a metal body, $100 more. Most
thougth the cheap plastic 3 would sell better. But according to what
I've been able to find out, demand for the 5 is at least 2x stronger.

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Jun 27, 5:55*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> Rich *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >I support any decision by the mfgs that keeps them in the black.

>> Unless it involves the use of plastic.

>Shudder.

Thus disproving your own claim.

> Interesting thing. I asked which Sony NEX would sell

Not interesting.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

RichA

On Jun 28, 1:20*am, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Unless it involves the use of plastic.

> >Shudder.

> Thus disproving your own claim.
>
> > *Interesting thing. *I asked which Sony NEX would sell

> Not interesting.

alt.politics is calling Ray, they need their village idiot back.

Ray Fischer

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Jun 28, 1:20*am, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >Shudder.

>> Thus disproving your own claim.
>>
>> > *Interesting thing. *I asked which Sony NEX would sell

>> Not interesting.

>alt.politics is calling Ray, they need their village idiot back.

alt.nazism is calling - they want their racist bigot back.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

RichA

On Jun 29, 3:52*am, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> RichA *<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Thus disproving your own claim.

> >> Not interesting.

> >alt.politics is calling Ray, they need their village idiot back.

> alt.nazism is calling - they want their racist bigot back.
>
> --
> Ray Fischer * * * *
> (E-Mail Removed) *

I never posted to that group, but I guess you have?

BF

On 6/27/2010 10:55 AM, RichA wrote:
> Olympus appears to be headed in that direction. There seems to be
> little if any indication they will continue to support them, having
> put all their eggs into the micro 4/3rds basket. However, Sony, even
> though they make no money on DSLRs (according to some sources, anyway)
> have a lot more money than Olympus and can keep up the DSLR production
> for as long as they want, even without profits. Couple that with the
> less than spectacular greeting their NEX cameras are getting and it
> looks like Sony will be in the DSLR game a while longer.

Probably both will eventually because they can't compete with Canon and
Nikon.

Ray Fischer

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4c2a331a$0$1655
>$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>black.

>>>I never posted to that group,

>> Not something you'd admit to, is it?

>Sure I would, if I had.

Nah. You're a racist bigot and not known for honesty.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)