Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > shared HD plugged into router?

shared HD plugged into router?

Craig Sutton

My current setup

2 desktop pc's in Computer room connected to Asus Wl600g router via network
cables. One PC has its own printer (other pc has no need to print) and yes I
know I could plug the printer to the router usb easily.

In kitchen, Laptop connected to the WL600g via Wireless (Sharing internet
only)

In kitchen, Brother multifunction printer/phone/fax/scanner with Wifi
(Unused via wifi but cabled to the laptop)

NEW Samsung tv in lounge with network socket (unused) awaiting Samsung USB
wireless stick.TV supports 802.11n

As the Wl600g has 2 USB sockets i was thinking easy just plug a usb Flash
disk or USB external HD in and share them. But no! it only supports a USB
printer (uneeded) or usb flash/hd via FTP which is dog slow 1.3-1.9 M/bs

What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and plus
backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD plugged into a
new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n

Or Is there an alternative firmware that supports sharing plugged in USB
devices in a better faster way?

Malcolm

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:31:18 +1200
EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 28/06/2010 12:12 a.m., Craig Sutton wrote:
>
> > What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and
> > plus backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD
> > plugged into a new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n

> Buy a standalone NAS unit rather than a new router.
> >
> > Or Is there an alternative firmware that supports sharing plugged
> > in USB devices in a better faster way?

> Not that I am aware of.

Hi
A D-Link DIR-825?
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=681

Have a friend that has installed openwrt on it.
http://openwrt.org/

I have a Linksys NAS200, bit slow on the network side if the media
server is running, but it serves up media to a Xbox360 without
problems, plus has two external USB ports.

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.12-0.7-default

Gordon

On 2010-06-27, Craig Sutton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My current setup
>
> 2 desktop pc's in Computer room connected to Asus Wl600g router via network
> cables. One PC has its own printer (other pc has no need to print) and yes I
> know I could plug the printer to the router usb easily.
>
> In kitchen, Laptop connected to the WL600g via Wireless (Sharing internet
> only)
>
> In kitchen, Brother multifunction printer/phone/fax/scanner with Wifi
> (Unused via wifi but cabled to the laptop)
>
> NEW Samsung tv in lounge with network socket (unused) awaiting Samsung USB
> wireless stick.TV supports 802.11n
>
> As the Wl600g has 2 USB sockets i was thinking easy just plug a usb Flash
> disk or USB external HD in and share them. But no! it only supports a USB
> printer (uneeded) or usb flash/hd via FTP which is dog slow 1.3-1.9 M/bs
>
> What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and plus
> backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD plugged into a
> new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n
>
> Or Is there an alternative firmware that supports sharing plugged in USB
> devices in a better faster way?

Reading this, it seems to me that perhaps you need to step back and have a
look at your network. Seems that its grown up ad hoc, which is how things
work. But then this can onlygo on for so long.

I agree with EMB. Get a NAS box.

Craig Sutton

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i085dl$1rn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 28/06/2010 12:12 a.m., Craig Sutton wrote:
>
>> What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and plus
>> backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD plugged
>> into a new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n

> Buy a standalone NAS unit rather than a new router.

No because the current ASUS wifi does not do 802.11n which the tv supports.
I doubt it will handle streaming HD very well

Craig Sutton

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:31:18 +1200
> EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 28/06/2010 12:12 a.m., Craig Sutton wrote:
>>
>> > What I want to do is share video/mp3/photos to the tv/other pcs and
>> > plus backup each pc /file etc. Preferably sharing a single USB HD
>> > plugged into a new adsl +wifi router that supports 802.11n

>> Buy a standalone NAS unit rather than a new router.
>> >
>> > Or Is there an alternative firmware that supports sharing plugged
>> > in USB devices in a better faster way?

>> Not that I am aware of.

> Hi
> A D-Link DIR-825?
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=681

Looking into Dlink the 685 just got new firmware for DLNA support

Gordon

On 2010-07-03, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 30/06/2010 7:22 a.m., Craig Sutton wrote:
>>
>> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i085dl$1rn$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Buy a standalone NAS unit rather than a new router.
>>>>

>> No because the current ASUS wifi does not do 802.11n which the tv
>> supports. I doubt it will handle streaming HD very well

> Then buy a standalone NAS and a new router.

It a a case of Bugger! Get over it. Technology moves along. Mr Ed died long
ago. (the talking horse