Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: book for C beginners

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: book for C beginners

 
 
sandeep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2010
Antonio Macchi writes:
> Hi
> I'm searching for a book for absolute beginners possibly with a lot of
> suggested exercises (I have no much fantasy to invent on my own)
>
> tanks a lot


K&R is the definitive text book of course, but VERY tough for absolute
beginners (pretty tough for experts!).

I would recommend "Teach yourself C" by H. Schildt - sadly out of print
but you can find 2nd hand copies easily. It is very clear and easy to
understand for beginners. There are lots of exercises and they all have
source code at the back - very helpful.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Herbert Rosenau
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2010
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:56:41 UTC, sandeep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Antonio Macchi writes:
> > Hi
> > I'm searching for a book for absolute beginners possibly with a lot of
> > suggested exercises (I have no much fantasy to invent on my own)
> >
> > tanks a lot

>
> K&R is the definitive text book of course, but VERY tough for absolute
> beginners (pretty tough for experts!).
>
> I would recommend "Teach yourself C" by H. Schildt - sadly out of print
> but you can find 2nd hand copies easily. It is very clear and easy to
> understand for beginners. There are lots of exercises and they all have
> source code at the back - very helpful.


I would strictly avoid anything that comes from Herbert Schildt
because that guy is known as NOT to understund C in any case.

--
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

Visit http://www.ecomstation.de the home of german eComStation
eComStation 2.0 ist da!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sandeep
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2010
Richard Heathfield writes:
> sandeep wrote:
>> Antonio Macchi writes:
>>> Hi
>>> I'm searching for a book for absolute beginners possibly with a lot of
>>> suggested exercises (I have no much fantasy to invent on my own)
>>>
>>> tanks a lot

>>
>> K&R is the definitive text book of course, but VERY tough for absolute
>> beginners (pretty tough for experts!).
>>
>> I would recommend "Teach yourself C" by H. Schildt

>
> That is perhaps the worst suggestion you could possibly have made.
>
> Schildt's writings are riddled with errors and misconceptions, and much
> of what one "learns" from him must be unlearned if one wishes to gain a
> proper understanding of C.
>
>> - sadly out of print

>
> There's nothing sad about it.
>
>> but you can find 2nd hand copies easily.

>
> And with good reason.


That's interesting - I don't remember finding any errors. I find Schildt's
writing crystal clear, in fact I can't think of another technical writer
who is easier to understand. I've also used his Java book, I found that
first rate too.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just I've had a different experience.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Willem
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2010
sandeep wrote:
) That's interesting - I don't remember finding any errors. I find Schildt's
) writing crystal clear, in fact I can't think of another technical writer
) who is easier to understand. I've also used his Java book, I found that
) first rate too.
)
) I'm not saying you're wrong, just I've had a different experience.

Did you learn C from that book ?


SaSW, Willem
--
Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any of the statements
made in the above text. For all I know I might be
drugged or something..
No I'm not paranoid. You all think I'm paranoid, don't you !
#EOT
 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2010
sandeep <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
[...]
> That's interesting - I don't remember finding any errors. I find Schildt's
> writing crystal clear, in fact I can't think of another technical writer
> who is easier to understand. I've also used his Java book, I found that
> first rate too.
>
> I'm not saying you're wrong, just I've had a different experience.


Search for references to "Schildt" in this newsgroup. (I suggest
ignoring anything posted by "spinoza1111".)

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Nokia
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this."
-- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Seebs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2010
On 2010-06-27, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> sandeep <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> [...]
>> That's interesting - I don't remember finding any errors. I find Schildt's
>> writing crystal clear, in fact I can't think of another technical writer
>> who is easier to understand. I've also used his Java book, I found that
>> first rate too.


>> I'm not saying you're wrong, just I've had a different experience.


> Search for references to "Schildt" in this newsgroup. (I suggest
> ignoring anything posted by "spinoza1111".)


I can't figure out how to interpret this:

1. This just proves that sandeep is 100% trolling.
2. That sandeep thinks Schildt's books are "clear" and don't have errors
explains his posts.

I think Hanlon's Razor wins here. While sandeep's posts have been quite
often much worse than anything I would think possible from someone merely
ignorant of C, they could be explained as typical for someone who learned
about C by reading Schildt.

Consider his confusion about free(NULL) -- if you had read Schildt's
material on pointers, you could actually have been confused enough to think
that the library could not actually implement the specification.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.seebs.net/log/ <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(Scientology) <-- get educated!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm McLean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2010
On Jun 27, 7:33*pm, sandeep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> That's interesting - I don't remember finding any errors. I find Schildt's
> writing crystal clear, in fact I can't think of another technical writer
> who is easier to understand. I've also used his Java book, I found that
> first rate too.
>
> I'm not saying you're wrong, just I've had a different experience.- Hide quoted text -
>

"THe book contains many technical errors" and "the book is not a good
C primer" are not quite the same. It's somewhat surprising that
Schildt has been successful as an author despite the number of
technical errors in the books, but it is the case. The idea that a
book which doesn't teach C successfully has consistently come top in a
very competitive field is also difficult to swallow. That the errors
exist has been demonstrated beyond any doubt. So whichever way you
slice it, something odd is goling on.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick Keighley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
On 6 July, 16:33, Malcolm McLean <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Jun 27, 7:33*pm, sandeep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


> > That's interesting - I don't remember finding any errors. I find Schildt's
> > writing crystal clear,


the two things aren't mutually incompatible

> < in fact I can't think of another technical writer
> > who is easier to understand.


Plauger? Kernighan? Tannenbaum? Stroustrup?

<snip>

> > I'm not saying you're wrong, just I've had a different experience.

>
> "THe book contains many technical errors" and "the book is not a good
> C primer" are not quite the same.


not quite, but one implies the other. It cannot be good to teach
beginners crap.


> It's somewhat surprising that
> Schildt has been successful as an author despite the number of
> technical errors in the books, but it is the case.


you must be young or something... to be so trusting...


> The idea that a
> book which doesn't teach C successfully has consistently come top in a
> very competitive field is also difficult to swallow.


people like it when things appear to be easy. K&R is a tough slog,
Schildt is the primrose path.

> That the errors
> exist has been demonstrated beyond any doubt. So whichever way you
> slice it, something odd is going on.


Schildt doesn't care, his bank balance is full. The publishers don't
care. We're left trying to re-educate people like sandeep.


--

The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore,
be regarded as a criminal offense. -E. W. Dijkstra

s/COBOL/Schildt/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Bos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
Malcolm McLean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 7:33=A0pm, sandeep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > That's interesting - I don't remember finding any errors. I find Schildt's
> > writing crystal clear, in fact I can't think of another technical writer
> > who is easier to understand. I've also used his Java book, I found that
> > first rate too.
> >
> > I'm not saying you're wrong, just I've had a different experience.- Hide =

> quoted text -


No, he didn't. Goggle Gropes is broken, but please remove that
brokenness when you must use it.

> "THe book contains many technical errors" and "the book is not a good
> C primer" are not quite the same.


True. The former is a strict superset of the latter.

> It's somewhat surprising that Schildt has been successful as an author
> despite the number of technical errors in the books, but it is the case.
> The idea that a book which doesn't teach C successfully has consistently
> come top in a very competitive field is also difficult to swallow.


Much as the idea that a hamburger chain which doesn't nourish its
customers properly is very successful, or the idea that a software
company which sells OSes with more holes than your average strainer
could make its owner the richest man in the world.
Face it, to be popular you need to be _popular_, not good. Usually,
quality is even a drawback to popularity. Most people who buy
programming tutorials don't want to be successful at programming, they
want to be successful at getting a programming job. For _that_, Schildt
is undoubtedly very good.

Richard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm McLean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2010
On Jul 7, 4:50*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Bos) wrote:
>
> Much as the idea that a hamburger chain which doesn't nourish its
> customers properly is very successful, or the idea that a software
> company which sells OSes with more holes than your average strainer
> could make its owner the richest man in the world.
> Face it, to be popular you need to be _popular_, not good. Usually,
> quality is even a drawback to popularity.
>

We get another interesting psychology here. Bill Gates is the richest
man in the world. Inevitably people feel a bit of envy, and make jokes
at his expense. Because software is technology, many of those jokes
are technical and not accessible to people without experience. The
whole world uses Windows. A few people also use Unix-like systems,
quite often for very specialised jobs which can't be carried out on
Windows. These people then start to believe that their use of Unix
makes them superior. So the jokes about Windows intensify. Eventually
some people manage to persuade themselves that Windows is a bad
operating system.

Is a similar thing going on with Schildt?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: book for C beginners Vincenzo Mercuri C Programming 1 06-26-2010 09:09 PM
Good Beginners book Bob XML 4 06-14-2006 11:07 PM
BEST C++ BOOK FOR BEGINNERS coinjo C++ 4 10-23-2005 09:51 AM
Beginners book on J2EE Florian Lindner Java 2 01-09-2005 04:38 PM
Information Security Book for Beginners. M.D. Computer Security 3 01-06-2004 11:13 AM



Advertisments