Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Attention Cbress

Attention Cbress

Learning

I had similar problems. I had a sata drive out of a HP box that I had
received a message that the hard drive had failed. It wouldn't do a
thing. I went to Best Buy and ran into a guy at the Geek Squad that
was real sharp and knew his stuff. He told me to buy a "Black Widow"
which would allow me to plug my old sata drive into it and it would
hook up to my new computer through either the USB port or an external
Sata cable plug in. Now I have 10 1 terabyte internal hard drives that
I just swap on this "Black Widow" and I was also able to get all of
the info off of my old Failed hard drive. By the way, it works
wonderful and all I do is run a desk fan to blow on the drives while I
am using them to keep from overheating. Sure it's not some sleek
newfangled gadjet in a nice enclosure but it works wonderful and was
an inexpensive solution to a possible pain in the butt problem...

I hope this helps. ask any questions you moght have.

Mike Easter

Learning wrote:
> I had similar problems.

.... except that you didn't reference the cbress article.

From: "cbress"
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Moving a hard drive
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:39:41 -0400

> I had a sata drive out of a HP box that I had
> received a message that the hard drive had failed. It wouldn't do a
> thing. I went to Best Buy and ran into a guy at the Geek Squad that
> was real sharp and knew his stuff. He told me to buy a "Black Widow"
> which would allow me to plug my old sata drive into it and it would
> hook up to my new computer through either the USB port or an external
> Sata cable plug in.

Here's an article with a pic about Thermaltake's Black Widow USB (or
eSATA) external 'dock' (rather than enclosure).

http://thegadget411.com/2008/12/blac...k-thermaltake/ Black
Widow External USB Hard Drive Dock by Thermaltake

> Now I have 10 1 terabyte internal hard drives that
> I just swap on this "Black Widow"

10 1T SATAs? That makes the Black Widow just the device for you. What
do you do with all of that storage?

> and I was also able to get all of
> the info off of my old Failed hard drive. By the way, it works
> wonderful and all I do is run a desk fan to blow on the drives while I
> am using them to keep from overheating. Sure it's not some sleek
> newfangled gadjet in a nice enclosure but it works wonderful and was
> an inexpensive solution to a possible pain in the butt problem...

The one at the gadget link retails for $23.

There are some other 'connectors' which will do both IDE and SATA and
USB and eSATA which are pretty economical but they don't have that
little dock.

--
Mike Easter