Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linksys WTR54GS Dropping Connection

Linksys WTR54GS Dropping Connection

Justin

I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share
a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
don't tink it is a channel issue.
I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
access to an ethernet port.
The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files
without a problem when I remove the router.

chuckcar

Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:justin-
09E540.16254125062010@reserved-multi...ed.example.com:

> I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share
> a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
> For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
> filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
> the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
> don't tink it is a channel issue.
> I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
> Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
> access to an ethernet port.
> The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
> transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
> The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files
> without a problem when I remove the router.

And how are you located WRT to the router when this happens? Are you in the
same room, in line of sight? 5' away? 20' away? it's wireless and uses
microwaves, so distance and visibility are crucial matters.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Justin

In article <Xns9DA2BE837CD73chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:justin-
> 09E540.16254125062010@reserved-multi...ed.example.com:
>
> > I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share
> > a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
> > For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
> > filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
> > the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
> > don't tink it is a channel issue.
> > I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
> > Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
> > access to an ethernet port.
> > The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
> > transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
> > The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files
> > without a problem when I remove the router.
> >

> And how are you located WRT to the router when this happens? Are you in the
> same room, in line of sight? 5' away? 20' away? it's wireless and uses
> microwaves, so distance and visibility are crucial matters.

About 20 feet.
I can connect to the source router/AP without the WRT from the same room
perfectly.
The whole building is wired for wifi so there are antennas all over the
place.

Justin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
hwf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Justin wrote:
> > I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to
> > share
> > a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g.
> > For the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
> > filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube,
> > skype)
> > the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so
> > don't tink it is a channel issue.
> > I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
> > Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
> > access to an ethernet port.
> > The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
> > transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
> > The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge
> > files
> > without a problem when I remove the router.

> Change the station preamble to "long only". And read this thread:
> http://text.broadbandreports.com/for...e=text~days=12
> 0~start=100
>
> Discusses firmware problems with those units.

Unfortunately I have a WTR54gs
http://images.digitalmedianet.com/20...ry/linksys_2_s
hot.jpg

not a WRT54gs
http://www.pacificgeek.com/productim...GS-RM-PB-R.jpg

There doesn't appear to be a preamble setting on my travel router.

chuckcar

Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns9DA2BE837CD73chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:justin-
>> 09E540.16254125062010@reserved-multi...delegated.example.c
>> om:
>>
>> > I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to
>> > share a wireless connection to three other machines also using
>> > 802.11g. For the most part it works, but if one of the shared
>> > machines starts a filetransfer or something that takes alot of
>> > bandwidth (youtube, skype) the internet connection quits. We still
>> > have wireless connectivity so I don't tink it is a channel issue.
>> > I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference.
>> > Remember, I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have
>> > access to an ethernet port.
>> > The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
>> > transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK.
>> > The ISP is not throttling the connection since I can transfer huge
>> > files without a problem when I remove the router.
>> >

>> And how are you located WRT to the router when this happens? Are you
>> in the same room, in line of sight? 5' away? 20' away? it's wireless
>> and uses microwaves, so distance and visibility are crucial matters.

> About 20 feet.
> I can connect to the source router/AP without the WRT from the same
> room perfectly.
> The whole building is wired for wifi so there are antennas all over
> the place.

Um, WRT stands for With Respect To in internet lingo.

Have you completely read the manual and used it to set the router up and
are *positive* you've done so correctly?

However it sounds on the surface that somewhere along the line either
your laptop transciever or the routers' are possibly lower quality.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:25:41 -0400, Justin ǝʇoɹʍ:

> I have a Linksys WTR54GS travel router. I am trying to use it to share
> a wireless connection to three other machines also using 802.11g. For
> the most part it works, but if one of the shared machines starts a
> filetransfer or something that takes alot of bandwidth (youtube, skype)
> the internet connection quits. We still have wireless connectivity so I
> don't tink it is a channel issue.
> I tried setting the machine's MTU to 1,200 with no difference. Remember,
> I am trying to share a wireless connection, I do not have access to an
> ethernet port.
> The connection craps out when I'm using alot of bandwidth - file
> transfers, Youtube - but normal browsing seems to be OK. The ISP is not
> throttling the connection since I can transfer huge files without a
> problem when I remove the router.

Our router here at home is a WRT54GL and with certain wireless radios it
will drop the signal under a high percentage of network utilization.
Funny thing is the radio that drops the connection is a Linksys WR54G.
The embedded Intel Calexico2 interface in this laptop running Mandriva
linux however is rock solid as is the Broadcom radio in my Dell Mini
netbook. Considering the environment as you described being saturated
with other wifi signals I think your situation is to be expected.

Whiskers

On 2010-06-25, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <Xns9DA2BE837CD73chuck@127.0.0.1>, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

[...]

>> And how are you located WRT to the router when this happens? Are you in the
>> same room, in line of sight? 5' away? 20' away? it's wireless and uses
>> microwaves, so distance and visibility are crucial matters.

> About 20 feet.
> I can connect to the source router/AP without the WRT from the same room
> perfectly.
> The whole building is wired for wifi so there are antennas all over the
> place.

Do you mean that the "Linksys WTR54GS travel router" is in use as a
'bridge' or 'repeater' to extend the range of a local network? Is the
"travel router" connecting to the local network using its own wireless
hardware, or in some other way - eg ethernet cable?

The maximum theoretical bandwidth of an 802.11g access point is 54Mbps; in
practice it can be a lot less than that. If the connection falls back to
802.11b for any reason, the theoretical bandwidth drops to 11Mbps.

If your "travel router" is connecting to the internet-connected router or
'gateway' (your "source router"?) using its own wireless capacity, that
will cap the collective flow of data for all devices accessing the "travel
router" to whatever that single wireless connection can carry. If one
device is soaking that capacity, there won't be any left for the other
devices.

If the "travel router" is connected to the "source router" using an
ethernet cable, the collective flow of data for all devices connecting to
it will (with any luck) be capped at 100Mbps.

The hardware or firmware inside either router will also impose some
restriction on how much 'bandwidth' is available simultaneously to
multiple devices. The network adminstrator might have some control over
that using 'Quality of Service' tools to limit what each local IP number
or network interface MAC is permitted to do.

--
-- Whiskers