Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype Adapter

Skype Adapter

Carl Waring

You know the sort of thing. Allows you to call Skype contacts using your
standard home phone. Anyone know one of these that works with Windows 7 as
well as XP? Thanks.

--
Carl Waring

GlowingBlueMist

On 6/24/2010 5:12 PM, Carl Waring wrote:
> You know the sort of thing. Allows you to call Skype contacts using your
> standard home phone. Anyone know one of these that works with Windows 7
> as well as XP? Thanks.

I am using one of the D-Link DPH-50U devices on my Windows 7 Pro-32bit
system and have used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.

The drivers that come on the CD were not W7 compatible but after
downloading Version 1.1 (Vista) drivers the device worked just fine on
my W7 system.

The drivers on the CD worked just fine with my older XP system.

I did notice that the US and UK D-Link support sections have different
versions of drivers with the UK dated 2006 while the US support section
had 2007. Just thought I'd mention this in case the UK version does not
work on your W7 system.

According to the US support site the device will no longer be supported
by D-Link after August of 2010 but I still find them widely available on
the internet new as well as used.

Steve Terry

"GlowingBlueMist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i039v9$tu8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 6/24/2010 5:12 PM, Carl Waring wrote:
>> You know the sort of thing. Allows you to call Skype contacts using your
>> standard home phone. Anyone know one of these that works with Windows 7
>> as well as XP? Thanks.
>>

> I am using one of the D-Link DPH-50U devices on my Windows 7 Pro-32bit
> system and have used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.

<snip>

How times have changed, a couple of years ago asking a question about
Skype on this NG would have brought howls of displeasure

Used to be if it ain't SIP it ain't VOIP

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of 1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

Bodincus

(26/06/10 00:10), Steve Terry:
> "GlowingBlueMist"<(E-Mail Removed) lid> wrote in message
> news:i039v9$tu8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On 6/24/2010 5:12 PM, Carl Waring wrote:
>>> You know the sort of thing. Allows you to call Skype contacts using your
>>> standard home phone. Anyone know one of these that works with Windows 7
>>> as well as XP? Thanks.
>>>

>> I am using one of the D-Link DPH-50U devices on my Windows 7 Pro-32bit
>> system and have used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.

> <snip>
>>

> How times have changed, a couple of years ago asking a question about
> Skype on this NG would have brought howls of displeasure
>
> Used to be if it ain't SIP it ain't VOIP
>
> Steve Terry

Well, if the number of answers a post receives is a sign of the interest
it receives, posts with "Skype" in the subject sometimes don't even
receive the consideration of ONE answer here.
I'm left without the will to live when somebody with a Skype question
pops in here... Like if somebody with a question about the price of a
spare for his car writes to the Ministry for Transport. UH???
Doesn't Skype itself provide support for the devices that adopt their
buggy, sneaky and proprietary protocol?
It's a proprietary application, with a proprietary protocol, and an
owner with a website and a customer service.
Just effin' go there, do us a favour.

--
Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
************************

Graham.

>>> I am using one of the D-Link DPH-50U devices on my Windows 7 Pro-32bit
>>> system and have used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.

>> <snip>
>>>

>> How times have changed, a couple of years ago asking a question about
>> Skype on this NG would have brought howls of displeasure
>>
>> Used to be if it ain't SIP it ain't VOIP
>>
>> Steve Terry

> Well, if the number of answers a post receives is a sign of the interest it receives, posts with "Skype" in the subject sometimes
> don't even receive the consideration of ONE answer here.
> I'm left without the will to live when somebody with a Skype question pops in here... Like if somebody with a question about the
> price of a spare for his car writes to the Ministry for Transport. UH???
> Doesn't Skype itself provide support for the devices that adopt their buggy, sneaky and proprietary protocol?
> It's a proprietary application, with a proprietary protocol, and an owner with a website and a customer service.
> Just effin' go there, do us a favour.

When I wrote the introduction to
http://skypegateway.webs.com
I felt the need to almost apologize for using Skype for those very same reasons,
but that doesn't change the fact that being able to make a call through a SIP
gateway, from a PAYG mobile phone with no network credit, is extremely useful.

It was a means to an end

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Steve Terry

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i03hvd$bnr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.
>>> <snip>

> When I wrote the introduction to
> http://skypegateway.webs.com
> I felt the need to almost apologize for using Skype for those very same
> reasons,
> but that doesn't change the fact that being able to make a call through a
> SIP
> gateway, from a PAYG mobile phone with no network credit, is extremely
> useful.
> It was a means to an end
> Graham.

That's how i see Skype, if i didn't have a Three network S2 phone with free
Skype i wouldn't bother.

Not when there's services as cheap as
http://www.voipgain.com/en/index.html

Your SIS to SIP conversion is an ingenious use of Skype.

Steve Terry
--

"Steve Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:i03kbb$122$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:i03hvd$bnr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.

>> When I wrote the introduction to
>> http://skypegateway.webs.com
>> I felt the need to almost apologize for using Skype for those very same reasons,
>> but that doesn't change the fact that being able to make a call through a SIP
>> gateway, from a PAYG mobile phone with no network credit, is extremely useful.
>> It was a means to an end
>> Graham.
>>

> That's how i see Skype, if i didn't have a Three network S2 phone with free
> Skype i wouldn't bother.
>
> Not when there's services as cheap as
> http://www.voipgain.com/en/index.html
>
> Your SIS to SIP conversion is an ingenious use of Skype.

Well I didn't write siptosis on which it is based. All I wish to do is encourage is taking
full advantage of 3's kind offer of "free calls forever" promise.

I'm sure that's what they want

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Steve Terry

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i03lt0$och$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org..
> "Steve Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i03kbb$122$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:i03hvd$bnr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.
>>> When I wrote the introduction to
>>> http://skypegateway.webs.com
>>> I felt the need to almost apologize for using Skype for those very same
>>> reasons,
>>> but that doesn't change the fact that being able to make a call through
>>> a SIP
>>> gateway, from a PAYG mobile phone with no network credit, is extremely
>>> useful.
>>> It was a means to an end
>>> Graham.
>>>

>> That's how i see Skype, if i didn't have a Three network S2 phone with
>> free
>> Skype i wouldn't bother.
>>
>> Not when there's services as cheap as
>> http://www.voipgain.com/en/index.html
>>
>> Your SIS to SIP conversion is an ingenious use of Skype.

> Well I didn't write siptosis on which it is based. All I wish to do is
> encourage is taking
> full advantage of 3's kind offer of "free calls forever" promise.
>
> I'm sure that's what they want
> Graham.

OK Graham I see you use anti spam <(E-Mail Removed)>

Please email me at my addy in the header (change four to 4),
i have some ideas about cheap 3 calls i can't talk about on here.

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of 1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

Carl Waring

"GlowingBlueMist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i039v9$tu8$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 6/24/2010 5:12 PM, Carl Waring wrote:
>> You know the sort of thing. Allows you to call Skype contacts using your
>> standard home phone. Anyone know one of these that works with Windows 7
>> as well as XP? Thanks.
>>

> I am using one of the D-Link DPH-50U devices on my Windows 7 Pro-32bit
> system and have used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.
>
> The drivers that come on the CD were not W7 compatible but after
> downloading Version 1.1 (Vista) drivers the device worked just fine on my
> W7 system.
>
> The drivers on the CD worked just fine with my older XP system.
>
> I did notice that the US and UK D-Link support sections have different
> versions of drivers with the UK dated 2006 while the US support section
> had 2007. Just thought I'd mention this in case the UK version does not
> work on your W7 system.
>
> According to the US support site the device will no longer be supported by
> D-Link after August of 2010 but I still find them widely available on the
> internet new as well as used.

Thanks for that. I saw that one on my web search! I noticed that Trust do
one too but they don't seem to have Win7 drivers available.

--
Carl Waring

Carl Waring

"Steve Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i03kbb$122$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i03hvd$bnr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> used it just fine on my older XP system with no problems.

>> When I wrote the introduction to
>> http://skypegateway.webs.com
>> I felt the need to almost apologize for using Skype for those very same
>> reasons,
>> but that doesn't change the fact that being able to make a call through a
>> SIP
>> gateway, from a PAYG mobile phone with no network credit, is extremely
>> useful.
>> It was a means to an end
>> Graham.
>>

> That's how i see Skype, if i didn't have a Three network S2 phone with
> free
> Skype i wouldn't bother.
>
> Not when there's services as cheap as
> http://www.voipgain.com/en/index.html

Well I am looking into those too It's just that my family all use Skype
so it's a good place to start.

--
Carl Waring