Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hypothetical Tennis Question

Hypothetical Tennis Question

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ

If one opponent hit the ball and the other opponent let the ball go past
him without attempting to hit it, the opponent who hit the ball scores a
point, correct? I mean, as long as it is in bounds and all that stuff.

What would prevent two players from doing this forever, or as long as
their bodies could physically endure it? I mean, if matches are called
off for darkness and resumed the next day, couldn't this continue for
weeks or until someone threw an arm out of socket or something?
--
All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.

Buffalo

CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ wrote:
> If one opponent hit the ball and the other opponent let the ball go
> past him without attempting to hit it, the opponent who hit the ball
> scores a point, correct? I mean, as long as it is in bounds and all
> that stuff.
>
> What would prevent two players from doing this forever, or as long as
> their bodies could physically endure it? I mean, if matches are
> called off for darkness and resumed the next day, couldn't this
> continue for weeks or until someone threw an arm out of socket or
> something?

Throwing one's arm out of the socket doesn't count. One player actually has
to die.
Buffalo

Jordon

Buffalo wrote:
> CtrlĄ/AltĄ/DelĄ wrote:
>> If one opponent hit the ball and the other opponent let the ball go
>> past him without attempting to hit it, the opponent who hit the ball
>> scores a point, correct? I mean, as long as it is in bounds and all
>> that stuff.
>>
>> What would prevent two players from doing this forever, or as long as
>> their bodies could physically endure it? I mean, if matches are
>> called off for darkness and resumed the next day, couldn't this
>> continue for weeks or until someone threw an arm out of socket or
>> something?

> Throwing one's arm out of the socket doesn't count. One player actually has
> to die.

Then he'd call it Obama's fault.

richard

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:35:49 -0500, Ctrl?/Alt?/Del? wrote:

> If one opponent hit the ball and the other opponent let the ball go past
> him without attempting to hit it, the opponent who hit the ball scores a
> point, correct? I mean, as long as it is in bounds and all that stuff.
>
> What would prevent two players from doing this forever, or as long as
> their bodies could physically endure it? I mean, if matches are called
> off for darkness and resumed the next day, couldn't this continue for
> weeks or until someone threw an arm out of socket or something?

I believe there is a rule to cover this situation. Which is why it is in
the player's best interest to at least return the volley.
Been years since I've played and even then I never understood all the rules
let alone the damn scoring.

Aardvark

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:40:03 -0400, richard wrote:

> Been years since I've played and even then I never understood all the
> rules let alone the damn scoring.

Why am I not surprised?