Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Making a nas for home use...

Making a nas for home use...

Richard

Getting sick of all the drives being on the desktop windows machine, and
will be buying several 2TBs once spring comes around.

Anyway, the idea of chucking them onto a linux based nas is appealing.

Need to know if any of the simple distros can do the following.

Use a server 2003 domain to authenticate against
Use the ntfs permissions on a connected USB hard drive with the point above
Do raid-5 (not on the USB ntfs drives)
Keep the permissions when moving stuff off the NTFS drives onto the raid.

I know server 2003 can do all that as I have done it in the past before
the machine crapped out, and now I have that license being my domain
controller I really dont want to have to try to find another one somehow.

AD.

On Jun 24, 10:40*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Need to know if any of the simple distros can do the following.

Note: my answers reflect what the actual underlying tech can do, and
doesn't take into account any limitations due to an over simplfied
GUI.

EMB has already recommended some well regarded distros - note FreeNAS
is FreeBSD based rather than Linux

I haven't actually used them though.

> Use a server 2003 domain to authenticate against

Yes.

In a year or so after Samba4 is released, they'll be able to be a 2003
domain controller too.

> Use the ntfs permissions on a connected USB hard drive with the point above

It should be able to once the domain stuff has all been set up
properly. Note: plain old Unix permissions can't really match NTFS
permissions - you'll need to configure the NAS to use ACLs for that
(shouldn't be a problem though).

> Do raid-5 (not on the USB ntfs drives)

Yes - as well as raid10, raid6 and even ZFS stuff on FreeNAS (one
advantage of FreeBSD)

> Keep the permissions when moving stuff off the NTFS drives onto the raid.

Probably only if you do a backup/restore type operation or something
similar that saves permissions. By default just moving files between
different filesystems ends up as separate delete/create operations and
that will reset permissions (this will happen with a Windows Server as
well).

Another idea if you want to get crazy is OpenFiler can apparently do
iSCSI SAN type stuff. You could mount SAN devices from your domain
controller and share them from there. OK that is just overkill now -
you'd just swap the potential Active Directory integration headaches
for potential iSCSI/networking headaches

--
Cheers
Anton

Geoffm

Dealextreme.com have a NAS box that lets you plug in 2 USB drives and
mounts them on the nwetwork - some sort of built in linux server. It
supposedly lets you share printers but I coudl never get that to work.
Can't remember the cost -wasn't much though
Geoff

AD.

On Jun 25, 8:23*pm, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 25/06/2010 12:17 a.m., AD. wrote:
>
> > Another idea if you want to get crazy is OpenFiler can apparently do
> > iSCSI SAN type stuff. You could mount SAN devices from your domain
> > controller and share them from there. OK that is just overkill now -
> > you'd just swap the potential Active Directory integration headaches
> > for potential iSCSI/networking headaches

> IME iSCSI with OpenFiler is rock solid stable - for the last couple of
> years I've had it running as a target for several Windows 2003 and 2008
> servers running within ESXi.

Cool. Good to know

--
Cheers
Anton

Richard

Geoffm wrote:
> Dealextreme.com have a NAS box that lets you plug in 2 USB drives and
> mounts them on the nwetwork - some sort of built in linux server. It
> supposedly lets you share printers but I coudl never get that to work.
> Can't remember the cost -wasn't much though
> Geoff

Those cheap things seldom do anything to limit access to certain folders.

eg the flatmates shuold be able to see the tv series and movies, but not
my documents, the work documents, etc, the work computer should see the
work documents only.

JohnO

On Jun 24, 10:40*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Getting sick of all the drives being on the desktop windows machine, and
> will be buying several 2TBs once spring comes around.
>
> Anyway, the idea of chucking them onto a linux based nas is appealing.
>
> Need to know if any of the simple distros can do the following.
>
> Use a server 2003 domain to authenticate against
> Use the ntfs permissions on a connected USB hard drive with the point above
> Do raid-5 (not on the USB ntfs drives)
> Keep the permissions when moving stuff off the NTFS drives onto the raid.
>
> I know server 2003 can do all that as I have done it in the past before
> the machine crapped out, and now I have that license being my domain
> controller I really dont want to have to try to find another one somehow.

You need a domain controller for home use?

Sweetpea

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:47:18 -0700, JohnO wrote:

>> I know server 2003 can do all that as I have done it in the past before
>> the machine crapped out, and now I have that license being my domain
>> controller I really dont want to have to try to find another one
>> somehow.

> You need a domain controller for home use?

Media PC for the lounge, PC in the kitchen, 2 PCs in the office - his 'n'
hers - PCs in the bedrooms for the kidz, and a file & print server - 8
machines. Much easier to control what can be done with MS Software if
there is also a domain controller.

victor

On 25/06/2010 11:20 p.m., Richard wrote:
> Geoffm wrote:
>> Dealextreme.com have a NAS box that lets you plug in 2 USB drives and
>> mounts them on the nwetwork - some sort of built in linux server. It
>> supposedly lets you share printers but I coudl never get that to work.
>> Can't remember the cost -wasn't much though
>> Geoff

> Those cheap things seldom do anything to limit access to certain folders.
>
> eg the flatmates shuold be able to see the tv series and movies, but not
> my documents, the work documents, etc, the work computer should see the
> work documents only.

This one looks interesting (its a distro, not a gadget)
http://www.ebox-platform.com/

JohnO

On Jun 26, 9:56*am, Sweetpea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:47:18 -0700, JohnO wrote:
> >> I know server 2003 can do all that as I have done it in the past before
> >> the machine crapped out, and now I have that license being my domain
> >> controller I really dont want to have to try to find another one
> >> somehow.

> > You need a domain controller for home use?

> Media PC for the lounge, PC in the kitchen, 2 PCs in the office - his 'n'
> hers - PCs in the bedrooms for the kidz, and a file & print server - 8
> machines.

An unhealthy household.

> Much easier to control what can be done with MS Software if
> there is also a domain controller.
>
> --
> "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

>>> You need a domain controller for home use?

>> Media PC for the lounge, PC in the kitchen, 2 PCs in the office -
>> his 'n' hers - PCs in the bedrooms for the kidz, and a file & print
>> server - 8 machines.

> An unhealthy household.

<sarcasm>
Yeah, it'd be much better if they were all TVs.
</sarcasm>
--
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.