Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Couple of Questions

Reply
Thread Tools

Couple of Questions

 
 
hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2010
Hi all,

I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.

I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
will respond to the other without the software installed.

Is there any way around this without the installation software? The
external drive now contains some iTunes files that I need to transfer.

Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.

Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
the Internet going forward?

Might be worth pointing out at this point that I am not on WiFi, but
rather have a physical connection.

Thanks for any advice.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2010
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
> came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
> however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
> I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
>
> I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
> will respond to the other without the software installed.
>
> Is there any way around this without the installation software? The
> external drive now contains some iTunes files that I need to transfer.
>
> Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
> Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
> Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.
>
> Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
> it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
> the Internet going forward?
>
> Might be worth pointing out at this point that I am not on WiFi, but
> rather have a physical connection.
>
> Thanks for any advice.


Your question lacks details, as to what software you installed. It's going
to be pretty hard, to track down how *some* software intended for disk
handling, has upset the automated setup of computer networking. If there
were program names, perhaps a URL for the web page where you can download
the software, that might make it easier to answer.

*******

When it comes to sharing stuff between computers, what you're looking for,
is what features they support in common.

First of all, when you buy a disk, its empty. It needs partitions place
on it. Each partition is a "container". Inside the partition is a file system.
There are many different files systems.

OK, so we look at some details on file systems.

Linux supports EXT2 (an example of a native file system) as well as NTFS and FAT32.

There are some suggestions here for the Mac. I believe FAT32 support was
around for the Mac, even before MacOSX. Back in Mac OS 9, you might have been
able to access FAT32 partitions.

http://guides.macrumors.com/File_systems

The PC supports NTFS and FAT32. And can support other file systems, with
additional software. (I have an older Windows machine set up to work with EXT2 for
example.)

The common denominator is FAT32.

FAT32 has some limits. You can't have a single file larger than 4GB. The various
OSes also have some slight issues with file name length. On the older Mac OS, you'd
have to avoid extremely long Windows file names, if moving files between partitions.

It's possible, if you'd put a partition with FAT32 on the new disk,
that the hard drive could have been used with *no* additional
software by any of the computers. As long as a computer OS is modern
enough, to have a built-in USB Mass Storage driver, that allows it
to see the raw disk. Then, a file system driver, such as the widespread
FAT32 support, provides each OS with the ability to read and write files
to a FAT32 partition.

On Windows, if you go to Start : Run and enter diskmgmt.msc as the name
of a program to run, that will bring up the Disk Management window. In there,
you can look at the partitions on your many disks, see what types they are
and so on. If a partition had HFS+ on it, Windows isn't going to know what
that is (it may be marked as "unknown" and "healthy" or something similar).

This is what a portion of that display would look like. In this
example, a physical disk ("Disk 0") has two partitions on it, plus some
area that hasn't yet been assigned to a partition. Here, I can see that
the C: partition is FAT32, and I would have a suspicion that passing this
disk between computers, they could all see it (Linux/Windows/Mac).

| +-----------------+--------------+-----------------+
Disk 0 | | C: | D: | Unallocated |
Basic | | FAT32 | NTFS | |
xxx GB | | Healthy (Active)| Healthy | |
Online | +-----------------+--------------+-----------------+

There is a wonderful tool for answering that question ("what's in that partition"),
but unfortunately, it hasn't been ported to all platforms, and would be
nothing but a nuisance if I mentioned it to you. To narrow it down, all
you really need to remember, is which platform you originally prepared the
disk on, to give you some hints as to what file systems are in use on the disk.

New disks, come with some initial file system on them, when they come from
the manufacturer in an enclosure. And the file system might be something
Windows recognizes. So if you don't remember ever having partitioned
or formatted the disk, chances are it has something like FAT32 or NTFS on it.

If you want help with your software problem, you'd need to provide details
as to what programs you used, to mess up the machine. Otherwise, it's pretty
hard to guess. Properly designed disk formatting software, has no reason
to be messing up network protocol stacks. Something else may have done that.

*******

Using the search term "obtain an ip address automatically", I can find
articles like this to help me with getting a PC to do things automatically.
This should work for a wired connection.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=4033

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Christoph Gartmann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2010
In article <KbwUn.18742$m87.13482@hurricane>, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
>came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
>however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
>I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
>
>I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
>will respond to the other without the software installed.


Please tell us the exact model of your external drive.

>Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
>Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
>Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.


Please let us know how exactly you connected your Mac and your PC with your
Internet connection. In addition, what kind/model/type of router/modem do you
have for your Internet connection?

>Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
>it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
>the Internet going forward?


Sure, provided that we have sufficient information.

Regards,
Christoph Gartmann

--
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
Immunbiologie
Postfach 1169 Internet: gartmann@immunbio dot mpg dot de
D-79011 Freiburg, Germany
http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2010
On 24/06/2010 08:21, Christoph Gartmann wrote:
> In article<KbwUn.18742$m87.13482@hurricane>, "(E-Mail Removed)"<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
>> came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
>> however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
>> I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
>>
>> I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
>> will respond to the other without the software installed.

>
> Please tell us the exact model of your external drive.


Acomdata is the name of the drive.

>> Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
>> Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
>> Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.

>
> Please let us know how exactly you connected your Mac and your PC with your
> Internet connection. In addition, what kind/model/type of router/modem do you
> have for your Internet connection?
>
>> Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
>> it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
>> the Internet going forward?

>
> Sure, provided that we have sufficient information.
>

What specifically do you need?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple of questions regarding IOS software Andrew Hodgson Cisco 4 02-06-2006 04:49 PM
A couple of T-Bird questions Dale Brisket Firefox 2 10-02-2005 10:25 PM
Newbie questions - Couple of VC++ questions regarding dlls and VB6 Ali Syed C Programming 3 10-13-2004 10:15 PM
1721 ADLS - a couple of questions ? Thomas Cisco 0 01-30-2004 04:42 PM
A Couple of Questions Wayne Wengert ASP .Net 1 01-22-2004 11:06 PM



Advertisments