Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > hints on "new" code

hints on "new" code

FtM

Hello everyone,

first of all, I've cross-posted the same request on it.comp.lang.c
(the italian equivalent of clc) but, as you guys helped me many times
on similar themes I'm posting here too.

I'm open-sourcing some old projects that I don't manage to follow for
many reasons (hoping that someone will find them interesting) and I
start collecting many sparse functions grouping them in a library that
I keep updating.
Right now the structure is quite confusing, as I just put there the
code that could be replicated or useful somewhere else, and this is my
very first problem. Most of the library is formed by functions that
wraps Linux/Windows system-dependant calls, but there are a linked
list implementation, a TAP testing interface and a nice (in my
opinion) error-tracing mechanism.
I personally use the whole thing as a framework and, as I know that
any C programmer as something similar in his shelf, I'm asking for
some hints to give the library an organic way of being, while keeping
it as more C-programmer-friendly as I can.

In addiction, any comment regarding the pure ANSI-C89/90 part (linked-
lists, hash-table, the TAP testing and the error tracing
implementation) will be highly appreciated (it's impressive that,
after +6y and more programming in C on every possible type of
application, I still manage to discover juicy tricks on lists and
tables just talking to other coders...).

The link is: http://code.google.com/p/libmmp/

I didn't manage to make a compressed package but the svn repository is
up and running.
Thank you very much for any comment on this work!

Thank you very much, ciao!

P.S. To aswer immediately to the reply that me myself would have made,
I know that there are better library alternatives around: I simply
don't have time to migrate "dead" (at least for me) code on a new code-
base; more on, the functions that this library implements are so
basical that I hope that there will be no reason to change them in-
mass for something better, and even then, an hypothetical mantainer of
the projects based on my lib could change some of them easilly with a
little effort.

FtM

On Jun 24, 12:13*am, FtM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> first of all, I've cross-posted the same request on it.comp.lang.c
> (the italian equivalent of clc) but, as you guys helped me many times
> on similar themes I'm posting here too.
>
> I'm open-sourcing some old projects that I don't manage to follow for
> many reasons (hoping that someone will find them interesting) and I
> start collecting many sparse functions grouping them in a library that
> I keep updating.
> Right now the structure is quite confusing, as I just put there the
> code that could be replicated or useful somewhere else, and this is my
> very first problem. Most of the library is formed by functions that
> wraps Linux/Windows system-dependant calls, but there are a linked
> list implementation, a TAP testing interface and a nice (in my
> opinion) error-tracing mechanism.
> I personally use the whole thing as a framework and, as I know that
> any C programmer as something similar in his shelf, I'm asking for
> some hints to give the library an organic way of being, while keeping
> it as more C-programmer-friendly as I can.
>
> In addiction, any comment regarding the pure ANSI-C89/90 part (linked-
> lists, hash-table, the TAP testing and the error tracing
> implementation) will be highly appreciated (it's impressive that,
> after +6y and more programming in C on every possible type of
> application, I still manage to discover juicy tricks on lists and
> tables just talking to other coders...).
>
> The link is:http://code.google.com/p/libmmp/
>
> I didn't manage to make a compressed package but the svn repository is
> up and running.
> Thank you very much for any comment on this work!
>
> Thank you very much, ciao!
>
> P.S. To aswer immediately to the reply that me myself would have made,
> I know that there are better library alternatives around: I simply
> don't have time to migrate "dead" (at least for me) code on a new code-
> base; more on, the functions that this library implements are so
> basical that I hope that there will be no reason to change them in-
> mass for something better, and even then, an hypothetical mantainer of
> the projects based on my lib could change some of them easilly with a
> little effort.

So, anyone has nothing to say? Is it a good or bad sign? :-/