Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Wireless conf setting

Re: Wireless conf setting

Mike Easter

snuhwolf wrote:
> This Broadcom card will connect, and then die suddenly after about a
> minute.

There are a number of different broadcom chipsets. 4318, 4306, 4303,
4309, 4311, 4312

> Uses NDIS with the bcmwl5.sys file.

I think bcmwl5.sys matches up with 4306 chipset.

> driver bcmwl5 {
> description "Broadcom 802.11G wifi adapter"
> bus pci
> vendor 0x14e4
> device 0x4320

0x4320 is the 4306 chipset according to some linux data.

> The closest flavor of unix to BeOS seems to be FreeBSD which is where
> Haiku took the network stack from.

How much (other) information do you have about the wifi card?

--
Mike Easter

Meat Plow

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:33:27 -0600, §ñühw¤£f ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Mike Easter wrote:
>> snuhwolf wrote:
>>> This Broadcom card will connect, and then die suddenly after about a
>>> minute.

>> There are a number of different broadcom chipsets. 4318, 4306, 4303,
>> 4309, 4311, 4312
>>

> Its a 4306 (rev3)
> Under linux it uses b43
>
>>> Uses NDIS with the bcmwl5.sys file.

>> I think bcmwl5.sys matches up with 4306 chipset.
>>

> Broadcom made different "flavors" of this mini-pci card
>
>>> driver bcmwl5 {
>>> description "Broadcom 802.11G wifi adapter" bus pci
>>> vendor 0x14e4
>>> device 0x4320

>> 0x4320 is the 4306 chipset according to some linux data.
>>

> So its *probably* the right driver.
>
>>> The closest flavor of unix to BeOS seems to be FreeBSD which is

>> where
>>> Haiku took the network stack from.

>> How much (other) information do you have about the wifi card?
>>

> lspci -vnn |grep 14e4
> returns BCM4306 (rev3)

The 4306 radio was used in a wide variety of packages. I'm looking at as
I type a 4306 mini-pci radio out of an HP lap branded HP W450. Also in my
hand is a Linksys PCMCIA W54G card that also has a 4306 radio. That radio
was also used in many other brands. It was the most popular radio used.
Make sure whatever driver you use is for the (rev3) firmware or it ain't
gunna work, PERIOD.

Meat Plow

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:12:58 -0600, §ñühw¤£f ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Meat Plow wrote:

>> 4303,
>>>>
>>> Its a 4306 (rev3)
>>> Under linux it uses b43

>>> Broadcom made different "flavors" of this mini-pci card

>>> So its *probably* the right driver.

>>> lspci -vnn |grep 14e4
>>> returns BCM4306 (rev3)

>> The 4306 radio was used in a wide variety of packages. I'm looking at
>> as
>> I type a 4306 mini-pci radio out of an HP lap branded HP W450. Also in
>> my
>> hand is a Linksys PCMCIA W54G card that also has a 4306 radio. That
>> radio
>> was also used in many other brands. It was the most popular radio used.
>> Make sure whatever driver you use is for the (rev3) firmware or it
>> ain't
>> gunna work, PERIOD.

> Understood. Too bad I cant just use the files for it that work in puppy
> linux. Bummer.

I took the HP radio out of an HP of course and tried to install it in my
Toshiba 1905. It had a wireless option having the switch and antennae
wires already installed but no radio. So I pop in the Broadcom 4306, load
the .inf and .sys drives for the radio as supplied by HP. Could I get the
****er to work? Hell no. Both XP and Mandriva 2010 recognized the
hardware. XP reports (this device is working fine) Mandriva sees it fine
as eth2 and reports it as up but does it connect to the router? **** no.
I upgrade the Toshiba BIOS thinking that some part of the radio isn't
being switched on but still no luck. I ****ed around with that cocksucker
for two days but no-go. Even took the Intel mini-pci card out of this
Asus M6NE running Mandriva 2010 PP and replaced it with the 4306. Had to
use an NDIS wrapper but the 4306 worked fine in the Asus. So I've been
through this **** in a 'nix OS deep dude. I have no explanation why the
4306 would not talk in the Toshiba. No problems with it in Doze or Nix.
But there was Zero signal. I guess sometimes this **** just don't work. I
gave the Toshiba to my kid he don't mind the Linksys PC slot card.

Meat Plow

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:01:32 -0600, §ñühw¤£f ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Thats the route I'm going: using a Netgear MA 401 pcmcia right now.
> Those Broadcom cards are crap. Puppy linux uses the b43-fwcutter
> approach to getting it going. Works like a *champ* with fwcutter.

The cards are fine. Broadcom just chose not to contribute to open source
drivers hence the need for the wan wrapper drivers.

Meat Plow

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:19:48 -0600, §ñühw¤£f ǝʇoɹʍ:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:01:32 -0600, §ñühw¤£f o:
>>
>>> Thats the route I'm going: using a Netgear MA 401 pcmcia right now.
>>> Those Broadcom cards are crap. Puppy linux uses the b43-fwcutter
>>> approach to getting it going. Works like a *champ* with fwcutter.

>> The cards are fine. Broadcom just chose not to contribute to open
>> source
>> drivers hence the need for the wan wrapper drivers.

> I found the klews in the .inf file for the settings Just a matter of
> experimentation now.

That's kewl.